Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Gear: naish park
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

broken line causes kite damage

Postby march_in » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:59 pm

What do you think guys, should be kite designed to survive after a broken line or not? Which shapes has more chances to survive or maybe all of them should do it?
Is this(broken line) a common situation or not? I mean if you are a kitesurfer how many times have you had it? Did it cause a damage in your kite?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: broken line causes kite damage

Postby edt » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:16 pm

I get all kinds of gear failure, I know I don't maintain my gear as much as others and I tend to ride more aggressive, but it's never the snapped line it's the consequences of a snapped line. For instance, if you are near a bunch of trees and a line breaks like when you are launching or landing, chances are your kite goes straight into a tree and it's eaten up. Or maybe your chicken loop breaks and your kite flies up in the sky and lands right on the seawall and rips in half. No kite ever gets ripped just because of a single snapped line. It will just sit there in the water or something. It's always the other stuff that happens after the line snaps, like it landing in a tree because of the snapped line. I've snapped at least a dozen lines, several bridles, torn attachment points clean off, snap my spreader hook about once a year, but no kite has ever exploded because of the snapped line. Never happened. It's always the other stuff that happens because of the snapped line like getting stuck on the seawall or in a tree.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:33 pm

I don't think gear can break from a line snapping.
I have broken some a few pulleys which is the same as a power line breaking and kite was fine.
When you hit the quick release it puts all tension in 1 line and gear doesn't braek.
Maybe some design with thin leading edge and spider bridle could have issues if bridle break suddenly but not sure...

Though with bridle I have had full inversion, not just inverted line but kite literally flying with exterior canopy on interior and interior on exterior with strut on the outside, leading edge bent the other way and brilde wrapped tight around leading edge. happens if kite stall and fall leading edge first only 180 degree before catching some air. Happens in wind shadow or if you stall kite excessively by riding far downwind after landing a big boost.
I am pretty sure I messed up some of the stitching but kite didn't break.

There are story of people wrapping line around kite and breaking it.

MrWolf
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Woodies Point
Gear: 2016 North Vegas + 2016 Airush Razors
2016 Airush Livewire 140 + 2016 North Wam

Postby MrWolf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:49 pm

Always check the gear preflight.

Kiters always forget the last crash or bail they had because it never caused damage.
But then "the thread is already pulled" and your gear is slowly and silently breaking down if you don't check/replace/take care of the problem at that moment.

Thats normally what happens when I hear about a kiter just riding along and their gear fails.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 pm

march_in wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:59 pm
What do you think guys, should be kite designed to survive after a broken line or not? Which shapes has more chances to survive or maybe all of them should do it?
Is this(broken line) a common situation or not? I mean if you are a kitesurfer how many times have you had it? Did it cause a damage in your kite?

I think kites are more then strong enough. They do survive broken lines all the time. Not sure how you can judge if one shape is better at it than other. I guess shapes that doesn't deathloop?

I've kites for a long time and have had rare a line break, but nothing really happened to the kite at all. I do tend to get new lines every year.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:50 pm

one thing to consider is quality pulley so far never broke a line only pulley. sheavless pulley looks pretty neat, I wish there was option to upgrade pulley when you get a kite. I don't know if sheavless wear down bridle faster or not but at least no risk of sand getting stuck in pulley and breaking line in 1 session with sheavless you can notice the wear and change bridle after a while. Or maybe I just got shit pulley on my kite.

I did notice some wear on one of my bar where the line attach to bar but that's kind of a bad design, that part wears down just from wrapping line and floater moving around pinching line with bar. Some people seem to break a lot of safety line lately and hard to notice wear if it goes though a tube...

march_in
Rare Poster

Postby march_in » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:00 am

I wasn't asking about releasing your kite into the forest. I wasn't specific. I mean you have some scenarios.
1. broken stearing line - it seems that what can happen only kite loops, flying without control.
2. power/front line. normally there is more power on front lines then on stearing ones. So if that line will broke all the tension will go to stearing line on one side and it can damage your kite. It is not always like this so the question is should the kite survive something like this or there is no way?

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 pm

march_in wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:00 am
I wasn't asking about releasing your kite into the forest. I wasn't specific. I mean you have some scenarios.
1. broken stearing line - it seems that what can happen only kite loops, flying without control.
2. power/front line. normally there is more power on front lines then on stearing ones. So if that line will broke all the tension will go to stearing line on one side and it can damage your kite. It is not always like this so the question is should the kite survive something like this or there is no way?
Never heard of a kite self destructing from a line failure.A line breaks,the kite falls from sky.Any damage is caused by what happens after break,not the broken line itself.Any extra stress on remaining lines is inconsequential.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:06 pm

march_in wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:00 am
1. broken stearing line - it seems that what can happen only kite loops,
flying without control.

IF you have a Low-Y front-line system, and a back-line breaks ; YES you
can steer the kite, by grabbing one low-Y , and pulling, (Gently) because
it makes the kite turn quite nicely. I learned that with an Ozone Edge 13m.

Bille

march_in
Rare Poster

Postby march_in » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:22 pm

What about this one:
this is a tip of a kite.