Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Could someone please invent a better way to self land a kite in high wind.

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Could someone please invent a better way to self land a kite in high wind.

Postby edt » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:16 am

everyone uses the UPPER center line landing but that way is too dangerous for me. All it takes is a little puff of air to get under the kite when it's face down and it will take off. I use the LOWER center line. You don't put the kite face down on the ground. Instead you let the kite assume a U position and walk up the line. Upper center line is ok up to about 20 knots above that use the lower line or the QR or a sandbag tether if you can't get someone to land. Upper center line is just too dangerous when it's really windy. Of course the QR is the easiest and works great. When the wind is that strong it is pretty hard to walk up the line but still better than trying to get the kite to land with the upper center line. So mad at myself, wind forecast was only 25 so I didn't bring my 7, thank goodness Jeff lent me his 8. Epic sesh.

mbevo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Gear: cabinha and switch
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mbevo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:56 am

not sure why you guys don't tether launch and land in high winds- safest way. If there are logs then nothing fancy just a rope and carabiner. If no logs buy a sandshark Z or some stainless sand screw and put a spare leash to it. Takes <1 min to set up if theres a log or something and takes <5 min to set up if you have to screw to the ground. Safely tested in in 55mph winds and works every single time no hassle.

IainMacaskill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Hillhead, Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Reef, Uig, Isle of Lewis
Style: Hoon
Gear: Airush, Core, Storm, Gong Kite, Zeeko & Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Highland Park

Postby IainMacaskill » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:53 am

mbevo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:56 am
not sure why you guys don't tether launch and land in high winds- safest way. If there are logs then nothing fancy just a rope and carabiner. If no logs buy a sandshark Z or some stainless sand screw and put a spare leash to it. Takes <1 min to set up if theres a log or something and takes <5 min to set up if you have to screw to the ground. Safely tested in in 55mph winds and works every single time no hassle.
At low tide, as a portable tether I use a blue IKEA bag, the one with the zip, I'll fill it with sand and wrap my tether line around it, cutting the bag in half. Dogs do love to pee on it though.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:23 pm

Turbaani wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:50 am
I have used this technique for very long and never backfired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGunSQnLc3s

30+kts, pretty gusty sometimes. When you get used to the technique you can steer the kite easily from the frontlines if it bounces a bit by gusty wind.
Not recommended in stupidly overpowered winds though :D If there is still crazy pull when fully depowered, wouldnt try it.

Not familiar with 5th line, buth with 4 line would never do those "flip your kite by pulling 1 line" like the video someone posted. In strong wind. In lightwind those are good and easy.
I do that too
on my GP over 25 knots if I grab fifth line with kite on side or whatever it just falls back and fly on it's back 10 feet up bouncing around making it really hard to walk to it. The technique in the video is better. thiufh usually I have a buddy that will gel land. We launch and land kites together by holding our kite on other side of window while we launch or land kite.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:30 pm

mbevo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:56 am
Unless you are launching in a wind shadow with turbulent rotor conditions and shifting wind. The kite wont stay on its edge.

The other challenge with teather land is that you must get close to obstacles (eg the log the teather is tied too) to land.
Pulling the safety in the water away from obstacles can be safer than using a teather.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Tether launch I have had some really big log move around when the trim powered up. Also bent one of those tether hook once. That's right he kite in 25+ doesn't really sit nicely on it's side. Maybe depends on kite.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:19 pm

some kites love a tethered launch and behave well, others (C kites especially) can't be tether launched as they will tumble downwind

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:44 pm

kjorn wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:51 am
Let me anticipate the pedants ... blah blah sand bag blah stake in the ground blah. Sometimes I get out of the sea a long way from where I got in. I may get out quickly to avoid a squall and want to land my kite.
YES a real self landing...all by yourself...and nothing else

Was in a squall situation recently on 10 Rebel...before the squall hit was a fun 1 1/2 hour sesh side-on at 20-25 knots...but during the 35-40+ knots squall it was stinging rain "dead onshore wind"
It was high tide with small sandy beach and house 50 meters straight downwind
I was out with a friend ...he had a 9 Fuse
We both opted to go further out to sea and ride the squall that lasted 10 long minutes
We positioned both our kites at edge of the window on their wingtips touching the water where the wind speed was a bit less in between the waves
Fully depowered...bar out..sitting still in the water..strapped to our surfboards...the kites were flapping like mad..our hands ready to hit the QR if shit would hit the fan at 50+ knots

We would rather stay on the water in certain temporary very high wind directions...more high impact accidents happen coming on land ...in a hurry trying to put the kite down

Self landing in very high wind... i do very similar to what "Sarc" said he does with the 5th line of the Rebel
Last edited by PullStrings on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:49 pm

Fly the kite at 12 oclock and pull the safety. The kite will generally land direct downwind from you with little possibility of damage. Very easy to walk the safety line without damaging your hands.

I don't understand the reluctance to use the safety on a kite.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 pm

bigtone667 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:49 pm

I don't understand the reluctance to use the safety on a kite.
the QR is one of the best ways to land the kite. The reason people don't like it is . . . the lines sometimes get tangled? It is weird why people hate pulling their QR.

Return to “Kitesurfing”