Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean rodeo Soul too KB specific?

Forum for kitesurfers
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Ocean rodeo Soul too KB specific?

Postby beebad » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:11 pm

I am nearly sold on the OR Soul. They seem to have the popular market on dry suits for KB. It seems to be a pretty KB specific application for this product or SUP, wet sailing and so on. The ION FUSE, looks like a 2nd runner p witht he gumby effect...

Can you surf in the Soul? Looks kooky to be surfing in that get up.......so it is more kite specific...

Any other close contenders for dry suit? when do the 2018 models come out?

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ocean rodeo Soul too KB specific?

Postby randycasburn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:34 pm

The flexible panels in the Soul make freedom of movement a priority. I would think that would be a priorty for a surfer (as well as kiter). It _is_ like a snow-ski suit when you have it on - wait, that makes sense in cold weather sports! Standby mode is awesome when you are taking a breather and want to cool down a bit. The outer jacket reduces the cooling affect caused by cold water contact with upperbody panels on the suit and provides pockets to keep cold hands out of the breeze. The material is somewhat breathable and that helps cut down on moisture collection inside the suit (if you’ve considered that). You should buy the Soul - you won’t be dissapointed. That is unless you prioritize the way a “get up” looks vs. functionality.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:05 pm

OR suits are great but I think you would be better off with a wetsuit for surfing. With all the crashing and rolling in the waves I think you would get some water in the suit, and DS are not as good at swimming as a WS.

alunj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:05 pm

I have a soul and for KS I love it.
I dont think it would be great for surfing there would be quite a bit of drag. They did do a surf suit but stopped some time ago AFAIK.

As for the Ion one i dont think you could move enough in it , its very thick and baggy

beebad
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Yes thanks you all.....As I thought, the OR Soul is the one....So the last thing I need are booties and gloves for conditions just under 50 degrees in the chesapeake area.....I'll prlly need some kind of lid but never used one surfing or diving....

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:21 pm

matth wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:05 pm
...and DS are not as good at swimming as a WS.
+1

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm

beebad wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:11 pm
Yes thanks you all.....As I thought, the OR Soul is the one....So the last thing I need are booties and gloves for conditions just under 50 degrees in the chesapeake area.....I'll prlly need some kind of lid but never used one surfing or diving....
Ref lid: some local kiters here swear by natural wool knitted beanie. They say even sopping wet their head stays warm.

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:49 pm

I guess the water would drain away as would a neoprene lid but wind would go right through a wet wool touk. Well at least i have a few of those .... thanks for the thought...

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:16 pm

I'd consider a Soul if good deal came along ... for kiting, maybe for sup, but probably not for surfing. I haven't tried, but am told any air in the suit makes it too buoyant to duck dive. I suspect it would get water in it. And then a safety issue: you break a seal, swimming in the waves with this full of water could be a serious problem.

I had an OR SurfDry, the older drysuit version that has a 2mm wetsuit skin over top. Worked fairly well, nice to be dry at the beach waiting for waves, but overall not perfect: paddling hard you sweat, suit can't breathe, so you get damp anyway. With how water tight modern wetsuits are, plus the fuzzy interior material, it really didn't have any dryness advantage. Then the neck seal ripped, and that was that.

Seems to me the driving motivation for drysuits in surf was how stiff the neoprene was in 5mm wetsuits. New neoprene is now so flexible I don't think there is much advantage to a drysuit in surf any more.

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Yeah man, I have a 3/2 that I felt good surfing in , but KB there is a lot of wind....First time really doing watersports in REAL cold water condiotions a departure from San Diego and Florida.

Return to “Kitesurfing”