Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pattaya, Thailand in September - October ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Skele
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Gear: Eleveight
Has thanked: 0

Pattaya, Thailand in September - October ?

Postby Skele » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 am

Hi all,

Looking for info on Pattaya for kiting. Will stay there 6-8 weeks starting from september 2018. I´m travelling with my family (including a toddler).

Is is worth bringing my kit along as I believe that this is the worst time of the year for wind? I presume only larger kites are only needed?

Also what kiting destinations would you recommend for a weekend trip from Pattaya?

Kiters with experience on this matter, your 2 cents are highly appreciated :thumb: !

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pattaya, Thailand in September - October ?

Postby magnusod » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:03 pm

I lived there for almost 7 years and are going back on 3 month holiday starting from mid Dec. You're spot on that it's the worst months...and not only for kiting. May and Sep-Oct are usually brings heavy rain with occasional flooding in the central areas of Pattay.
Your best bet is a thunderstorm passing through so that you can kite for an hour or so. Not really any better places around. Hua Hin is the best place for kiting in Thailand but it's the worst period there as well. If you can fit in your equipment without to much hassle I would bring it with me. You never know...if you're really lucky you could come when there's a windy week no matter what time of the year it is. As it's thunderstorm weather pattern it can be anything from 10 to 25 knots....even more a few times.

Although you can't trust it you can still see the weather pattern on Windguru or Windy. Phuket might be an option in Sep-Oct if you check the forecast the day before you decide to go or not. There are flights from U-Tapao airport 30 min from Pattaya.

Check these spots on Windguru,
Jomtien, kite center just south of Pattay
Ban Phe Rayong, 1 hour south of Pattaya. Beach for kiting is a bit west of Ban Phe.
Nai Yang beach Phuket, this is the kite beach north Phuket in the monsoon season when winds come from the south. Just 5 min from Phuket airport.
Hua Hin

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slappysan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:38 am

Not kite related, but I have to say Pattaya was one of the worst places I stayed in Thailand.

Skele
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Gear: Eleveight
Has thanked: 0

Postby Skele » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for the insight!

Doesn´t really sound like a kite heaven then. Actually there is a twist to the story, another opportunity (wife´s work stuff related...) for us is to go to Costa Del Sol, Spain for that time period. I think the latter option is winning currently in terms of weather, wind, family considerations :thumb: Been there so many times though that was looking forward to the Pattaya alternative for something new, but based on general Google info and your comments, doesn´t sound like the place to be at in September.

Return to “Kitesurfing”