Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Channel Islands High 5 VS Sweet Potato for lightest wind board

Forum for kitesurfers
clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,
Brand Affiliation: None

Channel Islands High 5 VS Sweet Potato for lightest wind board

Postby clint2070 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:37 am

So im back again trying to replace my Sweet Potato for something else as my light wind board in San Diego. Ive tried tore-lace my SP with other boards like the Lost Puddle Jumper but have yet to find something else that works as good as the SP but has more performance. Black Friday at Hanger 94 forced me to try once again with the 5'9" Surftech TL Pro Carbon Series Channel Islands High 5.It was only $399 so I couldn't pass it up. Monday is the earliest sign for wind here so I'll have to wait a bit to see how it goes but has anyone ever kited with the high 5 before ?

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 210
Local Beach: WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Favorite Beaches: Northern Oregon coast downwinders
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
CHANNEL ISLAND SURFBOARDS - 6'8 bandit
FERAL wetsuits
Neil Pryde Armorskin wetsuits

Re: Channel Islands High 5 VS Sweet Potato for lightest wind board

Postby scottnorby » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:19 am

I have kited with a high five. It's a great ride. It feels wide and at higher speed it can be a bit twitchy because of the deep concave.
A lot of boards made for slow surfing are a different animal when we put kite tow into play.
You will really enjoy that board on light wind days---but the one thing you will hope for is more volume.
You will be able to imagine kiting it on light wind days and good waves----and you will---but just a little more volume and you get so much more drift.....and way more apparent wind from the kite on those light puffy days.

I spent 3 years kiting north county san diego....and when your gear is dialed there are some great light wind days and smooth waves.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,

Postby clint2070 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:57 am

scottnorby wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:19 am
I have kited with a high five. It's a great ride. It feels wide and at higher speed it can be a bit twitchy because of the deep concave.
A lot of boards made for slow surfing are a different animal when we put kite tow into play.
You will really enjoy that board on light wind days---but the one thing you will hope for is more volume.
You will be able to imagine kiting it on light wind days and good waves----and you will---but just a little more volume and you get so much more drift.....and way more apparent wind from the kite on those light puffy days.

I spent 3 years kiting north county san diego....and when your gear is dialed there are some great light wind days and smooth waves.
Wow ! Maybe I should have gotten the 5'11" instead of the 5'9" the volume only jumps from 36L to 37.7L but gains 2" length and only .37" in width. Thats why I went with the 5'9". What size did you have ?

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 210
Local Beach: WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Favorite Beaches: Northern Oregon coast downwinders
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
CHANNEL ISLAND SURFBOARDS - 6'8 bandit
FERAL wetsuits
Neil Pryde Armorskin wetsuits

Postby scottnorby » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:13 am

I really think you will be ok with that size.
And at that price you are probably getting it for close to what it costs to make it.

It's more the shape of the board that sort of.....bogs I guess....when it slows down.
The heavy V in the tail. Water flows OVER the deck...bogging.
My point was that it's a great shape---and for surfing it's fun.
For kiting it will just be a little boggy and stall so just take it rail to rail as it slows.
It's really good for chop airs...pops really good. Stable in the air. I was only getting 3 or 4 feet nothing big but felt super floaty.
Youll enjoy it for sure.
Surftech is a little chattery for me....but hey I am biased to my own designs....ha.
A soft deckpatch should help.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:22 am

scottnorby wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:13 am
I really think you will be ok with that size.
And at that price you are probably getting it for close to what it costs to make it.

It's more the shape of the board that sort of.....bogs I guess....when it slows down.
The heavy V in the tail. Water flows OVER the deck...bogging.
My point was that it's a great shape---and for surfing it's fun.
For kiting it will just be a little boggy and stall so just take it rail to rail as it slows.
It's really good for chop airs...pops really good. Stable in the air. I was only getting 3 or 4 feet nothing big but felt super floaty.
Youll enjoy it for sure.
Surftech is a little chattery for me....but hey I am biased to my own designs....ha.
A soft deckpatch should help.
Thanks ! Its good to hear your honest opinion. I had doubts when I bought it and stood in the store for at least 1.5hrs staring at it before I bought it.I love wax. I don't even put a tail pad on my boards. I have a new global and it came w track top. Im getting used to it but it felt weird at first. Yeah, All the volume of this board seems forward. Might end up as another dust collector in my closet ! GRRRR !

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:27 am

IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:58 am

It is a chatter box but I tried it in really choppy conditions for the first time today. After a bit I got used to it. It really likes to jump ! I can see it being my favorite board for attempting strapless airs ! As far as it goes on replacing the SP though,I'll have to wait for sub par conditions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”