Local Beach: Alameda
Gear: /
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Buying my first kite and gear advice

Postby DeGi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:03 am

Hi fellow Kiteboarders,
I'm new to this forum and to the kiteboarding and I'm buying my first kite. I'm looking at Ocean Rodeo 2015 Prodigy (this looks like a good deal). I read that it is a good beginner kite, but would like to get a second opinion. I'm 140lbs and my wife who will also be using it is 132lbs. The closest beach to me is Alameda, and I guess this will be my preferred spot. So according to my weight and the beach, will 9.5m2 be good for me&my wife? I don't have a preferred style, as I have not kiteboarded before. I've just used my 3m2 trainer kite for a few hours so far, and I'm going to Cancun in January where I will take proper lessons, like advised by many on this forum.

Also, I've read here about “safety bar” or the “above the bar”. What kind of bar should I get for this kite? Does it have to be from the same brand? Do I have to buy lines separately?

Also, I know this is very generic, but any tips on buying harness & kiteboard? Any links very welcome ;)

Thanks

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Re: Buying my first kite and gear advice

Postby iriejohn » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:20 am

Welcome to the forum. :)

Best advice is not to buy anything now, do your kite lessons in Cancun, only then if you've both made enough progress should you think about buying.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:53 am

DeGi wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:03 am
Hi fellow Kiteboarders,
I'm new to this forum and to the kiteboarding and I'm buying my first kite. I'm looking at Ocean Rodeo 2015 Prodigy (this looks like a good deal). I read that it is a good beginner kite, but would like to get a second opinion. I'm 140lbs and my wife who will also be using it is 132lbs. The closest beach to me is Alameda, and I guess this will be my preferred spot. So according to my weight and the beach, will 9.5m2 be good for me&my wife? I don't have a preferred style, as I have not kiteboarded before. I've just used my 3m2 trainer kite for a few hours so far, and I'm going to Cancun in January where I will take proper lessons, like advised by many on this forum.

Also, I've read here about “safety bar” or the “above the bar”. What kind of bar should I get for this kite? Does it have to be from the same brand? Do I have to buy lines separately?

Also, I know this is very generic, but any tips on buying harness & kiteboard? Any links very welcome ;)

Thanks
I agree with Irie John ! Go get lessons for the both of you and when you get back home,Go to your local spot and see what they're flying. Its a bummer that you and your wife are so close in weight because you could share a quiver if you were heavier. You should have at least 3 different size kites and 2 boards. Taking turns with the same gear will suck. You'll want to kite together.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm

Prodigy is a good kite to start with. Price is okay but not unique, so waiting till after lessons would not harm.
Size is also fine for both of you. Will give you the best windrange tot learn in. (14 - 22 knots at your weight)

So if you are 100% sure you will continue (also if learning proves difficult) you could buy it and rake it along during your last lesson to get familiar to it.

Any 4 Line bar single frontline flagout will work.
Get a short chickenloop specimen if you can find it.
At your weight your arms might be relatively short.
Short CL is in that case nice to start with.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:27 am

Get Fatsand's Kiteboarding Progression Beginner DVD Second Edition.

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot

Postby bri7 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 am

What are the average wind conditions like in your area?

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:07 am

Buying before you’ve done lessons usually goes wrong. Sure you can get a proper kite just from speaking to your local shop but your instructor is the one who’s advice you need to follow for now..

Have fun in cancun!

DeGi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda
Gear: /

Postby DeGi » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks guys for very insightful answers, I think I'll postpone buying the kite for after the lessons. Otherwise, can you recommend any good links about buying a kite? I have so many questions...

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:38 am

I recommend always doing a search for your topic here on the forum. Otherwise, just fire away here if you have specific questions. But until you’ve gotten your first impression on the water and spoken to an instructor, most of the answers here won’t be very useful to you.

async3
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Calima Lake, Colombia
Gear: Slingshot Fuel 2009 9m
Slingshot RPM 2012 8m
Cogua Custom Board
GoPro Hero 3
Brand Affiliation: TheKitesurfNinja.com

Postby async3 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi DeGi!

Don't buy the gear now, first take the lessons, that way you and your wife will learn what type of depower system you like more. I personally prefer over the bar depower, as I think its safer and doesn't damages the rope like other systems do.

After the lessons, go to the place you will be practicing the sport, talk to local kitesurfers and learn how strong is the wind in that place, how flat is the water and the seasons to practice. Then you will have more insight on the size of the kite needed, as it depends mostly on the strength of the wind and your weight.

When you are ready to buy, I recommend you get a good used equipment, because as beginners we tend to wear the equipment faster as we learn how not to "windenburg" the kite (crash it). This equipment should be good to use for about one or two years, after that you will have enough knowledge and experience to buy the perfect kite for you guys.

I just finished a couple articles: Kitesurfing for Beginners and Kitesurfing Gear explaining how to ride and what equipment is needed. I would really appreciate your feedback on them as really nobody has read them yet and I really think they are useful for you ;)

Best!

Return to “Kitesurfing”