Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Riding blind - relation to board and or fins

Postby BernieTomic1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:07 pm

I tried to learn to ride blind with decent success during recent holidays.
Had to ride on a different board after going home - a North Gonzalez, where I used a F-One Trax HRD during the holidays, and found it much harder on the Gonzalez, as there seemingly was a much bigger tendency to push me back.

Is it possible that this is board dependent? What factors could play a role in regard to the board or fins?

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Been thanked: 0

Re: Riding blind - relation to board and or fins

Postby BernieTomic1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:07 am

Guess noone could relate to this?
Might just be my technique or the conditions, but I still believe the different board is also a factor.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:34 am

I ride a Cabrinha. Custom most of the time and it's hard for me to keep the grip on the board on the blind ride, as the Custom has a strong rocker and tiny fins. What get is that my now back foot moves sideways until I lost balance and have to twist and come back to regular heel riding.

I bet a stronger and flatter board with bigger fins would help to keep the blind riding position, but not really sure.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:38 am

BernieTomic1 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:07 pm
much bigger tendency to push me back.
Sounds like a fin issue. The Gonzalez has some pretty big fins since it's aimed towards newer riders where all the little upwind attributes of a board are needed.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:53 am

BernieTomic1 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:07 pm
Had to ride on a different board after going home - a North Gonzalez, where I used a F-One Trax HRD during the holidays, and found it much harder on the Gonzalez, as there seemingly was a much bigger tendency to push me back.

Is it possible that this is board dependent? What factors could play a role in regard to the board or fins?
Hello,
Learning how to ride blind for me was tough and took awhile. Just keep in mind that yes, gear does influence things but technique determines all. What I did that truly made a difference was to let the harness rotate a bit so the hook is just about at my right hip. Look over your right shoulder and lean away from the kite. Prior to this I would have the tendency to lean the wrong way and then get pulled back. Take a look at Dimitri's videos where he's riding blind. He's leaning waaaay back, body almost parallel to the water and the harness is positioned on his side. Do this and then you can probably ride with any board you want :thumb:
Hope this helps.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:39 am

^
Huh, I sort of suspected this and have a huge issue with my seat harness and blind riding :( Will need to resort to a sliding hook :)

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:59 am

downunder wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:39 am
^
Huh, I sort of suspected this and have a huge issue with my seat harness and blind riding :( Will need to resort to a sliding hook :)
Yea - I have attempted it with a seat harness but have yet to hit it - I think the key is to sheet out a tiny bit so you have the extra slack and the kite doesn't pull you back around. For now though I just leave blind out on those days when using my seat harness. I tried a sliding hook and rope harness and both threw me off balance a bit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”