Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: below the bar trim

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:39 pm

The problem with BTB trim is just what you've discovered. The handle is too close to your body and you have no leverage to pull if there's any tension. If you're powered up and need to pull it the only way to really do it is to carve downwind to slack the lines and then you can pull it in. BTB looks nice, but it's a crappy design IMO.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:18 pm

I owned Liquid force bar and kite. The bar (despite really very good materials quality of bar) also has the same below trimmer on chiken loop depower system. Its worsest system which was possible to invent for depower on kite, especially when you get suddent strong wind. I also had the same problems that impossible to trim depower full because not enought arm power regarding to low possition of depower system. Bought North bar with normal above depower system, very very happy now and even dont want to think about below the bar trimmer systems. This is total nonsence, worsest and not safe systems. They must be forbidden at all ! By the way also very bad was liquide force quick release system(i mean on 2010 about years).

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:12 am

Still using Liquid Force CPR bars with below-the-handle trim system. I like the simplicity of the system & the direct 1-to-1 depower. There is a tendency for the depower rope to get stuck in the cleat - this happens when the rope is old & starts to expand as it gets worn. The solution is to replace the rope - then it is again easy to engage or disengage the rope from the cleat in order to adjust the trim.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:35 am

Get rid of it. Try releasing the safety in a panic on that SS below the bar system......it doesn’t release when you grab and “grip” the release hard.

It only releases if you allow the cleat to slip through your hands.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:43 am

I hate below the bar trim for all these reasons. Unfortunately I can't recommend a replacement as the bars I use are a couple years old from Best, and they are done for. But they have the simplest, foolproof, and easily depowering system, above the bar. I love them and will have to try to keep them in good shape. Unless someone can recommend a comparable replacement bar.

tmbt
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 2011
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tmbt » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 am

Hey,
thanks all for the input and advices.

I'm thinking to switch the bar for another one with above the bar depower. I'm not going to buy a brand new 400$ and i 've a friend who is selling a 2013 Best RedLine bar so :
Hugh2 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:43 am
I hate below the bar trim for all these reasons. Unfortunately I can't recommend a replacement as the bars I use are a couple years old from Best, and they are done for. But they have the simplest, foolproof, and easily depowering system, above the bar. I love them and will have to try to keep them in good shape. Unless someone can recommend a comparable replacement bar.
Is that the bar you're talking about ?

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Mistake many make is trying to pull the rope out of the cleat rather than pulling "through" the cleat to unseat rope. ss btb is my favorite bar,been using for last 6 yrs(kiting for 17). I think many are using "depower" to much.Its a trim adjustment.My rpms fly like crap if they're over depowered, not sure if this applies to other kites. Might want to learn how to depower kite with the board like the good old days. Just a side point, if you couldn't depower your kite as you came in, why didn't you just reach up, grap the swivel and depower kite by holding and pulling it in? One hand steers the other depowers. Basic skill.(I thought)

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:07 pm

I bought the conversion kit to change my Slingy BTB trim to the new above the bar Sentinel design. I will never ever go back to a BTB trim.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:43 pm

IBaKiteboarder wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:07 pm
I bought the conversion kit to change my Slingy BTB trim to the new above the bar Sentinel design. I will never ever go back to a BTB trim.
On my SS Sentinel bars (20" and 17") I have replaced the SS swivels with Wainman swivels (which work reliably!) and replaced the SS cleat blocks with Clamcleats with Ozone Trim Cover with magnets and Ozone Trim Handle with magnets which hold the trim line far more securely than the SS cleat blocks which only have a magnet on one side and which in addition rust and finally drop out! I also splice my own trim lines and have got rid of the CL etc. because I never unhook.

runner1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Kilda

Postby runner1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:01 am

Have tried both, and unless you are:
1) unhooking a lot with significant depower on (rare),
2) have a disability or are extremely weak, or
3) are a noob

then BTB is better once you are used to it, (cleaner, moderately faster, more precise and greater range). Unless the above factors apply IMO you will quickly get used to BTB and prefer it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”