Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha Radar vs Slingshot Rally

Forum for kitesurfers
AdroVempo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Minnesota: Lake Waconia, Medicine Lake, White Bear Lake.
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, Jamaica, Visakhapatnam (Vizag)
Style: Freeride
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha Radar vs Slingshot Rally

Postby AdroVempo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I was almost convinced to go for the Rally...until the comment from "alford" about bar pressure. This was something that was very important to me, but somehow I forgot to mention it in my opening comment.

Cabrinha is claiming Radar has "Featherweight control" and "light bar pressure". The reviews in kite sites too mention of the same.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel like Light Bar Pressure is what I need. That's because whenever I handle a kite (mostly switchblades during my lessons, which themselves are known for higher bar pressure) I feel like the struggle to hold the bar and control the kite. I want the ease of handling the kite so that I can focus on board and stuff.

And also, I feel like I need better and more direct response from the bar and my movements of it. Is that a wrong thing to ask for as a beginner? Coz I saw some articles mention (and even @iriejohn commented above) about high pressure being better for learning.

I don't know what is good there? basically, if I easily want to be able to control the kite with one hand, without always having to look at it, is it not Lighter Bar Pressure that I should look for?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:06 am

What's good for you is a matter of personal preference, you'll have to try both kites. I've had Switchblades in the past and I thought they were like trucks, but that might have been only that year.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:35 am

Look at the Naish Pivot's. Great all-around kite that you can easily learn on and won't outgrow. The 2017's should be on sale. The bar pressure is lighter than the Rally's too. Just my 2c.
BTW, look at the used market to see the resale value of the kites you are interested in. The used market is a good indicator of how good/popular a kite is. I only saw 2 "radars" for sale on ikitesurf.com and the price seemed pretty low(red flag for me). Good luck.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:38 am

Full disclosure be here, my shoulders are a little messed up and more prone to discomfort. The higher bar pressure is good in some ways as it makes learning to feel where the kite is without looking at it far easier. Iriejohn's comments are spot on too.

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:41 am

iriejohn wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:11 pm
Recently sold the 2016/2017 Rallys and got Ozone Enduro V2's. Was getting pulled off my SB (Mitu 5'8") which I recently got so wanted all round kites which will also almost completely depower (will only use kites without pulleys because really like their direct feel). If I didn't have the SB I would have stayed with the Rallys.
Be sure to keep us updated on your new Enduros once you hit the water, are you going to use Ozone or SS bar with them?

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:36 am

+1 for this.
If you can, look at a cabrinha and Slingshot side by side (with an engineering hat on) also what feels right in the hands, design and quality. Think about how you'll use it, type of valves etc. - then make your choice.
Both will enable you to progress well, but one may make you feel better about your purchase.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

matth wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:23 pm
Go with Switchblade if you want to stay with Cabrinha. There is a reason it has been one of the best selling kites ever...it's a great kite. The Radar is more of a beginner kite that you will out grow fast.. The Rally is an excellent kite and would be more comparable to the SB than the Radar.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:43 am

alford wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:41 am

Be sure to keep us updated on your new Enduros once you hit the water, are you going to use Ozone or SS bar with them?
SS Sentinel bar but w/o CL.

From another thread:
iriejohn wrote:On my SS Sentinel bars (20" and 17") I have replaced the SS swivels with Wainman swivels (which work reliably!) and replaced the SS cleat blocks with Clamcleats with Ozone Trim Cover with magnets and Ozone Trim Handle with magnets which hold the trim line far more securely than the SS cleat blocks which only have a magnet on one side and which in addition rust and finally drop out! I also splice my own trim lines.
... and have got rid of the CL etc. because I never unhook replacing it with a Cabrinha QR, and I use a rope slider instead of hook.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Higher bar pressure will in short run be better for learning. It is basically like driving a car without power steering, you have to put more into steering and sheeting the kite, so it's less likely you will pull on bar and steer the kite unwillingly.
In long run you risk tennis elbow.
Lighter bar pressure may lead to unwilling steering and over sheeting in beginning, but you will learn fast and later enjoy the power steering.
It's a total myth that higher bar pressure = easier to know where the kite is.

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:05 pm

iriejohn, post a photo of your SS bar setup, thanks.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:19 pm

TomW wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:11 pm
Higher bar pressure will in short run be better for learning. It is basically like driving a car without power steering, you have to put more into steering and sheeting the kite, so it's less likely you will pull on bar and steer the kite unwillingly.
In long run you risk tennis elbow.
This ^^^
Lighter bar pressure may lead to unwilling steering and over sheeting in beginning, but you will learn fast and later enjoy the power steering.
It's a total myth that higher bar pressure = easier to know where the kite is.
Appears to contradict this ^^^

Return to “Kitesurfing”