Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 3D printing of kite plastic parts: low friction sliding ring

Postby plummet » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 pm

I can review and test the plastic v alloy LFR.

I've been running the alloy lfr for months now on my jay harness and it is lush! no corrosion and smooth operation.
My only gripe is that the radius does not match the chicken loop so relies on line tension to stay in place. On occasions when I crash the lfr has popped off. Its no biggy as it can be popped back on easily. However a lfr with a tight ridius so the chicken loop can lock into it better would be a worthwhile design improvement,
12049333.jpg

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY
Has thanked: 0

Postby jaystore » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 am

Ring in Zanzibar...

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:28 am

Hey Jay, I've got advertising from all sorts of outfits plastered all over my kiteforum pages and on this one you are advertising too. I was mostly curious because I 3D design and print too.
Not sure what the board rules are about self promotion for $ in threads?
Anyway, I doubt you'd get low friction and good endurance on any of the current additive technology 3D printing processes. If I were making rings to do what you are then I'd look at moulding them in polyurethane with graphite mixed in.
I'm one of those who's printed off my own fin designs too and I found they didn't last with beach contact in either PLA or PETG but I can mould them fine in polyurethane.

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:50 am

fluidity wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:28 am
Hey Jay, I've got advertising from all sorts of outfits plastered all over my kiteforum pages and on this one you are advertising too. I was mostly curious because I 3D design and print too.
Not sure what the board rules are about self promotion for $ in threads?
Anyway, I doubt you'd get low friction and good endurance on any of the current additive technology 3D printing processes. If I were making rings to do what you are then I'd look at moulding them in polyurethane with graphite mixed in.
I'm one of those who's printed off my own fin designs too and I found they didn't last with beach contact in either PLA or PETG but I can mould them fine in polyurethane.
This is not promotion, is a technological step forward. About low friction and endurance is your though, we tested it enought to say it's well working.
About material you should inform yourself first, please check the attached data sheet.
Attachments
HP Strong and Flexible Data Sheet.pdf
(632.06 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:27 pm

fluidity wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:28 am
Hey Jay, I've got advertising from all sorts of outfits plastered all over my kiteforum pages and on this one you are advertising too.
--- Doubtful your gonna find a better forum than KF; even with the adds !! Go say something offensive at seabreeze ; see how long it takes for both you and the post
to disappear . You need to screw-Up really bad, before Toby even mentions
to knock it off ; most reasonable guy on the planet. :thumb:

Bille

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.

Postby fluidity » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:03 am

jaystore wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:50 am
This is not promotion, is a technological step forward. About low friction and endurance is your though, we tested it enought to say it's well working.
About material you should inform yourself first, please check the attached data sheet.
I'm sorry, you're not selling them then?
I must have quite misinterpreted your website that's linked to on the thread.
Or you are selling them, but it's not self promotion to have a thread up about your product?
I have no issues with people liking your "product"?
About the material, I haven't tried that one. The graphite post processing does look promising for your application.

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .

Postby Sandras » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Sorry fluidity you simply don't get it.
The fact that he is making money with it is very minor compared to the benefit that he brings to humanity (and potentially to the universe)
Therefore it is an insult to all of us implying that these posts promote his product. They are 99.9 getting humanity forward!

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:08 am

Sandras wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 pm
Sorry fluidity you simply don't get it.
The fact that he is making money with it is very minor compared to the benefit that he brings to humanity (and potentially to the universe)
Therefore it is an insult to all of us implying that these posts promote his product. They are 99.9 getting humanity forward!
The best business to work at is one which brings out your creative passions for something you believe in. I can relate to that.
As I'm also creative and also love kiting it's good to know that a bit of self promotion following kiting passion is OK on here. :lol:

spiru
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Laredo, Sopelana, Ereaga
Favorite Beaches: Laredo
Viana
Gear: Cloud 3.7 4.8 6.2 8 10.4 13.4
Phantasm 657
Nomad Wave
Makos
Fone surf
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby spiru » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:01 pm

I have been using my home 3D printed LFR all winter without any wear at all. It slides very smoothly. More so than my previous comercial Antal aluminium LFR which was smaller and transmitted more the rope weaving. I used ABS and sandpaper to smooth the surface and finished it with an acetone rub for ultra-smooth surface. I designed the ring with a curved 4mm hole through the solid part to attach a rubber cord which keeps the CL in place even without tension and doesn't interfere with release.
Nowadays you can buy resin 3D printers for $300-400 which could give very good results too, without having to post-process the parts.
I also print my own fins. I use Nylon for the fins which is stronger than ABS. Home 3D printers can produce totally usable parts when the good material is chosen.

Return to “Kitesurfing”