Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Was it Nick or Kevin?

Postby DWX » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:17 am

windsuks wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm
https://brunelsailing.net/news/kiter-se ... ord-at-277

Oh Lordy!!

Now that changes the definition of hang-time!

The cinematography is way better than what we saw from Richie’s team. Sailboats are so magnificent, there is room for improvement

Can someone explain what we just saw? How did he boost so high? Pretty incredible, but I don’t get it.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:24 am

The article explains that they used a 500m tow line and in the video you see Nick pull a release cord. Takes about a minute for him to come down. What he’s doing is actually not that hard. The technique anyways. But Nick is world class no doubt. Like all big air stuff it comes down to how big your stones are and whether or not you can keep calm and focus on the kite. Just like free solo climbing, if you lose it, that’s it, it’s all over. He does look like he’s wearing an emergency parachute though. He didn’t do that for the Dubai jump which was 211 meters down and waaaaaay more risky. Had me sweating just watching the prep work.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:33 am

To the OP’s headline: I’ve watched an interview with Kevin where he basically calls Nick a complete lunatic (understandably) and says he wouldn’t do this kind of stuff. Nick is competing in his very own “league of one” kite base jumping sport. I’m a fan but I do worry that he will kill himself one day. When you’re using equipment that wasn’t designed for this and with all the variables we know you can’t control, you’re always right there on the edge.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby a99 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Maybe Nick using very special lines, as for 700 lkg or more. Also maybe some titan or other very special harness cable. I dont thing that he doing these "kite base jumps" with usual kite equipment. I think he cares about safety.
Just yesterday i saw that in beggining of November died of the the famoust and most professional Base jumper Valery Rozov. He did highest jump from 7200 meters in Himalays in world. He did near around in his life 1500 base jumps. And in this case we just can't say that this one fatal jump was in case of statistic, you cannot jump 5000 times in riskiest Base sport without one fatal case, this is just law of mathematical probobility statistic and it works everywhere, still as i saw lot of movies and interviews with Rozov i see that he really was biggest professional with professional look to it. And in this case what we can say- its fate or just statistical law work ? So, i hope Nick counting statistical law probobility in his mind.
Last edited by a99 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:21 pm

I recommend you watch the Dubai jump if you get the chance. Program is done in Danish but hopefully a version with subs will be released. Standard equipment with a Switchblade 9m. No parachute, no special CL, QR, spreader bar or harness. He was extremely well prepared for the jump and many safety precautions were taken, but his gear was the same as the jumps he’s done off countless cliffs, Branson’s Island, hotels and more. He’s obviously not the type who’s looking to waste his life and he knows when to walk away, but like I said above, just one failure and you’re dead. The one big advantage he has going for him is that he’s a fucking brick with respect to panic and anxiety. Can’t be rattled emotionally.

a99
Very Frequent Poster

Postby a99 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 pm

But if he doing his tricks with usual equipment in such height, than he really don't hs profesional look to situation. Just dirty habit level and not fashinating so much. But still, we don't know for real if he using special lines or special harness cable. We cannot check it and he can say what he wants.
I looked once again video, as see that his steering live are really very obvious fat at least, no one usualy bar seems so, i'm sure there is special lines.
Last edited by a99 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:24 pm

I disagree. At that level you’re always pushing the limit whether your doing Red Bull KoA or jumping off a 200m building. It can go horribly wrong at 25m up just like when he’s doing the really crazy stuff. Being a pro, he does have new gear all the time and maybe Cabrinha put some added strength in those lines, we don’t know for sure. Apart from that there is nothing special about the gear he’s on. His Dubai jump took 5 years to get approved and months of prep work studying every possible factor. He did the jump in shorts and t-shirt with nothing more than a quick “see ya!” as he slid off the helipad on his board. I promise you, that jump was done professionally, but like I said, you’re pushing the limit at that level, so the risk can never be fully mitigated.

a99
Very Frequent Poster

Postby a99 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Do you see difference from sentence in meaning "done professionaly with usual (mass) equipment" ? Or done professionaly with professional equipment ?
Event jump from Dubay showing his dirty habbit level (T-shirt and etc). Such style shining/impressing 15-30 years age hypsters, but it's not shining for 30-60 years guys who much more understand wat is value of your life and heath body. And about this i'm talking, you can be in dirty habit level or professional level, it's huge difference.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:07 pm

I’m not sure what you mean by that equipment remark. Pro riders do ride the best equipment their sponsors make but it is still within their product line and not particularly special in that sense.

I also don’t understand what you mean by “dirty habit”. He obviously does these things because he needs to and does so only risking his own skin, so I don’t see how you can admonish him for that. He’s not advocating people do the kinds of stunts he does or take risks at that level. In fact I think he would tell you to not ever do it.

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD

Postby BernieTomic1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote: I recommend you watch the Dubai jump if you get the chance. Program is done in Danish but hopefully a version with subs will be released. Standard equipment with a Switchblade 9m. No parachute, no special CL, QR, spreader bar or harness. He was extremely well prepared for the jump and many safety precautions were taken, but his gear was the same as the jumps he’s done off countless cliffs, Branson’s Island, hotels and more. He’s obviously not the type who’s looking to waste his life and he knows when to walk away, but like I said above, just one failure and you’re dead. The one big advantage he has going for him is that he’s a fucking brick with respect to panic and anxiety. Can’t be rattled emotionally.
If you look at this interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYrV1xpujZk), he clearly states that he uses a special reinforced kite, double lines and other modifications, while also saying that it is safer and works well in the air, but that the equipment is really bad when touching water.
It thus seems reasonable to believe that he does not at all use normal gear from the standard product line, but that it is heavily modified and reinforced equipment.

Awesome stunt by the way. Also loving Kevin Langerees sailboat video in the same theme.

Return to “Kitesurfing”