Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Re: 2018 EVO

Postby lindseym » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:00 pm

matth wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:28 pm
lindseym wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:21 am
I will be trying out the new Evo this weekend and will report to this thread. I had a quiver of 2014 Evos for a few years and absolutely loved them. Then, switched over to the 2016 Evo and did not like it at all. I sold them and went to Best. Recently though I decided to go back to North and purchased a quiver of 2018 Rebels. I demo'd them in a variety of conditions and its by far the smoothest, best hang-time kite I have ever used. I've heard pretty good things about the Evo but you never know until you yourself try it. Its good to collect feedback but other people's opinions are no substitute for spending time on the kite and seeing how it performs in your hands.

Sounds good, I look forward to your opinion...
Ok - I had a chance to ride the Evo yesterday. It was blowing about 20kts and I was on a 12m 2018 Evo with the middle setting. I was using a quad bar with 24 lines. Overall I was really impressed and like it alot more than previous versions of the Evo. It's different than what I expected. Since they moved it to 3 struts I kind of thought that there would be some sacrifice in canopy stability and that it would not have an even power distribution throughout the loop, but it was actually really stable and has a nice even power distribution --- btw - I am not referring to megaloops but surface tricks like darkslides. With many kites you get this surge at the end of the loop or, even worse, you get a reduction of power. This was definitely not the case with the Evo and it had rock solid delivery of looping power.

The boost will really good...it felt like this year may have a bit more low end but its difficult to say for sure since I was pretty well powered. The bar pressure is perfect, not too soft and not too heavy. It definitely does not have the hangtime as the Rebel but will probably be much better for unhooking and wave riding. My time on the kite was only about 15 minutes so consider this just a quick summary but if you were to go with this I think you would be very pleased. As always though, don't take my word for it. Try before you buy.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 EVO

Postby matth » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 pm

Nice report thanks. I think I will wait to the spring and take a demo for a ride..

Return to “Kitesurfing”