Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

At last ... got to ride the Rebel (2018) and XR5 back to back

Postby lindseym » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:50 am

Wind - about 26 to 32
Kite size - Both 9m
Bars - North click bar and the Sensor on the Core
Rider - 155 lbs

Overall I was extremely impressed with both kites. The wind was really gusty at times and felt really comfortable on each. Both also have alot of high end. I didn't have to depower each more than halfway. The Rebel felt "locked" in the sky; stability that is so good that it makes you want to push the boundaries of what you can do. The Core was solid as well but I felt like I had to keep my eye on it a bit more. That said, the Core is a tab bit more responsive and is definitely recommended to those wanting to megaloop. It may also turn a little faster but not much. When I did looping surface tricks (darkslides and such) on each kite the Rebel was a little easier. In terms of lift and boost, both are so good that it really depends upon the pilot. I didn't have a woo but my guess is that the hangtime was better on the Rebel but again this is probably because of the way I was flying the kite.

Consensus - Both kites are killer but (to me) the Rebel feels a bit more comfortable and has better hangtime. For those looking to megaloop or unhook a bit I think the XR will be for you. Try each out and let me know you're thoughts.
Cheers all,
Lm

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: At last ... got to ride the Rebel (2018) and XR5 back to back

Postby ChickenD!ken » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:48 am

Thanks for the reviews lindseym. I’m a bit disappointed how few users leave reviews of demo time or even their own gear, so I appreciate your input.

It’s a shame you didn’t have both kites in a size 12 as well. I use XR5 (6,9,12,19) and it is perfect for what I want (freeride/freestyle all-rounder). The 12 especially flys like no other 12 I’ve ever used. Superb performance above 20kts and just soaks it up when you start to wonder if it’s time for the 9 (which I can confirm does megaloop nicely btw). Even above it’s indicated range (24kts) the 12 remains calm and gives me confidence to keep pushing.

I don’t see how you would recommend the XR for unhooking though. That’s about the last thing I’d do with it. Too much ‘get up and go’ for that in my opinion, especially the way the XR seems to want to constantly blast upwind once settled. It is a great kite for hooked-in tricks and I’m usually on my 12 for that, but the 9 does well, as you say. Probably a bit too tuned in that size to be comfortable on a demo.

I found it takes a little time to dial in to the XR and I didn’t know what I wanted from it until after a few sessions but it is the most versatile kite I’ve ever used. Not a great wave rider but it will do it despite the pivotal turns. And forget unhooking in my opinion, but for everything else I don’t think there’s a better option out there. It’s like an RS6 on the autobahn. You can cruise along if you like or you can embarrass a few 911 owners if that’s your thing. Very few kites can actual lay claim to the “all-round” label and the XR is definitely one of them.

I don’t use North products because I can’t handle being sold stuff I don’t need, at Core prices mind you. In fact, I think the Rebel just a bit more expensive than the XR. It’s an instant turn off for me when I’m confronted with 6-7 different kites and twintips followed by 4 bar systems etc. We really don’t need that kind of plethora of choice. But I digress, the Rebel is a classic with serious pedigree, that’s for sure.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby DWX » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks Lindsey! Makes total sense to me. For those who are familiar with the XR series, it seems the 5 is more stable, even heavier than the earlier series, but the Rebel is definitely slower. I’d take the Free for loops. I only tried the 13,5 XR5 in 16 Knots (detract a couple knots for strong current; yes, you need a bigger kite in strong currents); the kite itself felt like a monster that tickles your belly with butterflies ... kinda loved it... but i’m a forever-beginner, so take it w a grain of salt... my husband loves his xr5 19, but says it’s so powerful he could easily take the 17, esp for loops... these are no toys!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:29 pm

DWX wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:03 am
I’d take the Free for loops.
I demoed the Free size 15 and could not stand the annoying trailing edge flapping noise when looping it...flapping like a shower curtain :lol: i returned that 3 strutter right away

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride

Postby lindseym » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:16 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:48 am
Thanks for the reviews lindseym. I’m a bit disappointed how few users leave reviews of demo time or even their own gear, so I appreciate your input.

It’s a shame you didn’t have both kites in a size 12 as well. I use XR5 (6,9,12,19) and it is perfect for what I want (freeride/freestyle all-rounder). The 12 especially flys like no other 12 I’ve ever used. Superb performance above 20kts and just soaks it up when you start to wonder if it’s time for the 9 (which I can confirm does megaloop nicely btw). Even above it’s indicated range (24kts) the 12 remains calm and gives me confidence to keep pushing.

I don’t see how you would recommend the XR for unhooking though. That’s about the last thing I’d do with it. Too much ‘get up and go’ for that in my opinion, especially the way the XR seems to want to constantly blast upwind once settled.
Agreed - neither are suitable for unhooking. I just do hooked in stuff so I'm not really source. Yes, I hope to ride the 12m XR this week sometime. It definitely has a unique feel and both kites are very different in how they respond.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride

Postby lindseym » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:20 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:29 pm
DWX wrote:
I demoed the Free size 15 and could not stand the annoying trailing edge flapping noise when looping it...flapping like a shower curtain :lol: i returned that 3 strutter right away
I rode the Free a few months back and it was pretty light so it felt very similar to the XR. I don't remember canopy flutter but I only rode it for about 15 minutes. I think the worst canopy flutter was with the Bandits. I think its much better now but I recall that when I would loop the 7 it sounded like the shower curtain was attached to the back of a car. :lol:

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:43 pm

lindseym wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:16 pm
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:48 am

I don’t see how you would recommend the XR for unhooking though. That’s about the last thing I’d do with it. Too much ‘get up and go’ for that in my opinion, especially the way the XR seems to want to constantly blast upwind once settled.
Agreed - neither are suitable for unhooking. I just do hooked in stuff so I'm not really source. Yes, I hope to ride the 12m XR this week sometime. It definitely has a unique feel and both kites are very different in how they respond.
It sounds like I really need to try a Rebel even if I’m not looking to get one. I’ve never used a 5th line so I guess now I’m the target audience? Whether here or talking to people at the beach, these two kites get compared the most.

Would be great if you feel like sharing your thoughts after trying the 12m. I’m not good enough to get the max out of the 9m and it’s still early days but I don’t feel like the 6m gets flown enough.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️

Postby DWX » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:51 pm

PullStrings wrote:
DWX wrote:
Which kite doesn’t flap when you loop it too slow? 🙄

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:37 pm

DWX wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:51 pm
PullStrings wrote:
DWX wrote:
Which kite doesn’t flap when you loop it too slow? 🙄
You must not ride a lot of different kites

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:02 pm

XR5 5 struts don't flap...Rebel 5 struts don't flap...that's what....the Free is flapper in any wind when looped

Return to “Kitesurfing”