Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How do KBs keep from drowning when they wear boots

Postby DWX » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:56 pm

I thought this thread a joke, more crusty old men humor ...

Boots are for lagoons & close to shore stunts; where exactly would you drown? In the shore break? Or in the puddle?🙄 You can get hurt in many ways in boots but drowning is not one of them...

We don’t need gun permits, we need kite permits...

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Postby Lokihel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:44 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:23 pm
Lokihel wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:30 am
No. I'm not good enough to justify wearing boots.
I would look a lot cooler though :lol:
there a quiet some who think like this...they for sure can tell you more about their experiences with crashes :naughty:

I personally can never imagine wearing boots...having so many crashes where I kicked my board away...and for sure didn't want it to stick to me.

If you are on a higher level where it makes sense to wear boots and it would help you more than it makes things worse, go for it. Before that level, stick to straps.
But how cool do you look walking on the beach with that fancy board with no fins and big boots.
And just imagine all the incredible stories you could tell when people ask you "how did you break your leg?" or "how did you tear all those ligaments in your knee?"
You're really missing out on all that by choosing something that is appropriate for what you do.

I've just ordered a fancy carbon board with bindings. Now I'm equipped to learn how to do a backroll. Up to now I've felt like my equipment was holding me back.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 pm

kiterocky wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:38 pm
The new style megaloop board off..binding its over in 2018
Really interesting what will happen at KOTA this year. With variety being a factor I cannot see a boots rider win ever again...let's see how many will go back to straps and how many not, and their results.

Reno Romeo and Aaron Hadlow...they were able do great Boardoffs back then...Aaron became world champ first time with these tricks...

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:16 pm

beebad wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:31 am
I can't imagine wearing boots though I have only been kting a year...Do people ever get into trouble weaaring boots and being attached to your board....
I think of being dragged the wrong way underwater....anyway....

I am anxious to hear about the technique...
I'm by no means an expert but I do kite with boots. I'm posting this from my annual pilgrimage to Langebaan, having spent a few hours riding today.. in boots.
The wind was blowing 20-26kn today so there was like 1m wind swell. You lose your board with straps and even just finding it can be a problem.
With boots losing your board is one less thing to worry about.
I don't have any issues managing the board after a wipeout but I can see how it can seem intimidating. I think it's just a different set of problems than kiting with straps. You do it a few times and you figure out what works, no biggie.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 pm

I don't see the guys on the tour switching back to straps. You have to practice in straps if you want to be good in them for red bull king of the air, then you have to also practice in boots for the WKL. There's no free lunch it would take away time from them practicing their wakestyle tricks (have to do them in boots because you can't be as aggressive in straps). At the end of the day red bull king of the air is only a single competition, so they need to practice in boots because they earn their living on the WLK not this one competition.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:14 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:16 pm
beebad wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:31 am
I can't imagine wearing boots though I have only been kting a year...Do people ever get into trouble weaaring boots and being attached to your board....
I think of being dragged the wrong way underwater....anyway....

I am anxious to hear about the technique...
I'm by no means an expert but I do kite with boots. I'm posting this from my annual pilgrimage to Langebaan, having spent a few hours riding today.. in boots.
The wind was blowing 20-26kn today so there was like 1m wind swell. You lose your board with straps and even just finding it can be a problem.
With boots losing your board is one less thing to worry about.
I don't have any issues managing the board after a wipeout but I can see how it can seem intimidating. I think it's just a different set of problems than kiting with straps. You do it a few times and you figure out what works, no biggie.
This is the kind of practical feedback I want to see. I have a disconnect when folks talk about competition, but I dont think a binding setup is just for elite kiters. I speculate that bindings provide a precise interface with the board. I would like to try a binding setup in a few months. Some feedback is akin to ice climbing with leashless tools and monopoint crampons. I think if you start climbing that way, it is just the way you learned.....still, like you say it may just seem intimidating to use bindings.

I been in high winds in OBX with a good wind chop, and I have been separated from my board and it doesnt take long to loose sight of it and then what.....thanks for the response.

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD

Postby BernieTomic1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:03 pm

What about deeper water and an arm injury, say a shoulder dislocation during the mobe?
Could you manage that?

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:33 pm

BernieTomic1 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:03 pm
What about deeper water and an arm injury, say a shoulder dislocation during the mobe?
Could you manage that?
There is always risk, regardless of your gear preferences.
Part of my risk management includes not kiting alone.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:36 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:33 pm
BernieTomic1 wrote:
Could you manage that?
There is always risk, regardless of your gear preferences.
Part of my risk management includes not kiting alone.
god i shudder just thinking of shit that can happen. If you can get out of them fool boots in a hurry if needed would be mo bettah yeah. I couldnt do an eskimo roll to get back up for one reason or another in some good rapids in the potomac years ago and had to wet exit but i burried my handle under the skirt and nearly panicked and freaked..actually i shit myself so bad that i stopped kayaking after that scare....whatapussy :jump:

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:48 pm

BernieTomic1 wrote:
Could you manage that?
I’m also usually out by myself as well (early mornings). Keep it simple and safe in those circumstances.

Goes without saying, floating with a dislocated shoulder and no one around is one of those “at your own peril” situations.

Return to “Kitesurfing”