Favorite Beaches: Kanaha, Maui
Style: Everything
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Belize Ambergris Caye - Info Please

Postby Don_C » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:51 pm

HI,

I'm going on a kite and dive holiday to Ambergris Caye in April and am looking for launch spots. I usually ride a foil board, or a directional if there is surf, and will bring both. Recommendations for launch sites into foil depth water, or into surf would be appreciated.

We will be staying at Ramon's Dive Resort near San Pedro so spots close to there would be handy. It looks like renting a golf cart will be the way to go.

Is there a kite shop or school that I should visit for local info?

Thanks for any info you might have.

Don C.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Belize Ambergris Caye INFO PLEASE

Postby BWD » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Years ago was on caye caulker a couple days. Saw a guy with a 16m or so switchblade one evening, not much wind then (spring). My best advice is rig big and bring your own rum. If you like rum, you will NOT like the local govt monopoly “one barrel” rum. Quite bad. And imported rum is double its US price.
Great reef there though...

Don_C
Rare Poster
Local Beach: All the Greater Vancouver Beaches

Re: Belize Ambergris Caye - Info Please

Postby Don_C » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:27 am

Hasn't anyone been to Ambergris Caye lately? Any Info appreciated.

Jackie Treehorn
Medium Poster

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:46 am

I went to Ambergris Caye a few years ago during new year. Was only there for several days and the following could be out of date but this is what my initial impressions were:

- Kiting around San Pedro on your own will be difficult - the accessible bits of beach on the East side of the island have a continuous run of piers and jetties along the coastline that don't leave a lot of room for self-launching/landing kites. If the wind is blowing onshore you then have to tack upwind between the jetties before you get to clear water, although this might not be too bad on a foilboard if your tacks are proficient.
- There was a kiteschool in San Pedro (KiteXplorer)- took a boat trip with them to somewhere on the west side of the island which had really good flat water riding among the mangroves but I don't remember how deep it was so can't say if a foil would work.
- There may be better or more accessible riding further North - didn't get to explore that area when I was there since the roads were underwater due to torrential rain, but you can rent a golf cart pretty cheap and give it a go.

Don_C
Rare Poster

Postby Don_C » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:04 am

Thanks Jackie,

I've looked at the piers and jetties on Google Earth. They don't look too bad. With a foil board it looks fine as long as there is room between trees to get a kite in the air near shore.

I'm thinking I'll get a golf cart and see if I can find a deserted beach somewhere. We'll see what the kite school has to offer as well.

CorradoWest
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: X
Gear: Naish/North

Postby CorradoWest » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:34 pm

Hey Don,

I was there in May 2016, for a week. Although I didnt kite, it was on my mind as there was decent winds half of the days we were there. I would think a foil would be perfect...just be careful of shallow reefs. We traveled by boat most of our trip and I did see a kiter up from where you are staying, it was at the beach east of the bridge where you access the north end of the island.

DO- rent a golf cart! Be sure to hit up the Truck Stop on the north end for good & cheap eats. I agree with the other poster that the local run isnt that good, but the local beer is outstanding.

Copy & paste this link to see some highlights of our trip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv15uqJMvc0

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Went a few years ago, not alot of beach had to do water launched mainly, We did hire a boat to take out to some flat spots on the leeward side where were very rad

not on board
Rare Poster

Postby not on board » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:32 pm

You can get all the weather info here at
http://sanpedroweather.com/
If you are with someone, I did a great downwinder, the local ferry runs all day along the island, mostly taking local hotel workers to all the resorts up and down the seaside. It is pretty cheap. I went with my wife up wind to the tiki bar, they have a good beach front to launch at. then I launched while my wife watched for awhile and had a drink and then took the next ferry (and my pump and kitebag) back to our resort where I landed much later. There are resorts, that the ferry goes to, for many miles so you could do a very long downwinder if you wanted. I suggest you bring a large kite as even though I had wind every day during the week, it was always mid teens to low 20's. I had a 14m and was very happy. If you use a foil board, be sure to get some good info from any of the local dive guys as to where the coral is closest to the surface as in low tide it could really mess up your foil.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:14 am

I love the rum, one barrel rum is my favorite rum. I would always bring some back.

Don_C
Rare Poster

Postby Don_C » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:44 am

Thanks to everyone for the info and video. I liked the trick to speed up the golf cart.

Sounds like the beach near the road to the north, and the one at the tiki bar, will be good places to check out first. I'll get a chart to look at the shallow/coral areas, and get tide info. Even if the tide swing is only a foot or two, it can make all the difference when foiling. Maybe I'll take a surfboard as well so I don't need to stress while doing a downwinder. I like the idea of getting dropped off at that tiki bar and riding downwind to our resort.

I like rum, but one barrel may be a bit much to take on the plane :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”