baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Core Section 2 - anyone own/tested one?

Postby baxterbradford » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:46 pm

I've searched the web for reports on how the Section 2 performs and only found the Gleiten TV review which is very positive. So was wondering if anyone here has flown one and how it compares with original Section, what it's like when used with a foil and how it relates to other wave kites? I'm most interested in the 12m LW.
http://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/actio ... /page/347/

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Re: Core Section 2 - anyone own/tested one?

Postby NEkitesurfing » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:50 pm

I have the Section 2 in 9, 11 and 14 sqm. It is my favorite kite at the moment especially on the foil and waveboard. Im coming from the GTS4 which is a great kite especially when the kite should be direct responding and agile combined with a big wind range. Much fun on a twin tip board. It does it all and due to different bridle attachment points it is possible to change a little the power development when turning and looping the kite. Because Im not heavy and not a very good foilboarder I have used the GTS4 on the foilboard in the setup where it flies most forward in the wind window to have a less progressive power development. That has worked fine but in very gusty conditions I wanted to have a kite with even less progressive power development that makes it easier for me to stay in control on the foil. That is the Section 2! The Section 2 sucks up the gusts like no other kite. It is extremely stable, drifts well and is easy to control but at the same time very agile and direct responding. The size that I'm using most on my foil because of the wind I have at my homespot is the 11 sqm. For this reason my next bigger kite is the 14 sqm Section 2 that keeps me going almost in no wind with line extensions. The 9 sqm Section 2 is a lot of fun as well. The Section 2 has surprised with his jumping ability that sounds contradictionary but is not bad for a Wave-Kite. The performance and the details of the kite like used materials, seams, valve, pulleys, bag... makes a superior package for Foil and Wave, all styles. I wonder why not all foilboarders are using Section 2 kites. At least one colored option would be nice. But less options make the choice easier. Compared to the Section the smaller sizes (11 and below) have definitely more power and are even a notch more stable in the air (better balanced) :thumb:

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:25 pm

NEkitesurfing wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:50 pm
....Compared to the Section the smaller sizes (11 and below) have definitely more power and are even a notch more stable in the air (better balanced) :thumb:
Thanks for the info, I am very interested in the Section2 12m2 for strapless surf freestyle (and for foiling too but more emphasis on strapless freestyle), but can you tell me what you mean with your above sentence, please?

I am after the most power generation, so would GTS4 be better for that over Section2 in light winds? Can you compare their (in about 12m size) power development, please? Also, is there a difference in board speed they develope (in abt 12m size) in lighter winds?
One thing that 12m Section2 has over the GTS is the lighter build, which is good for marginal conditions.

Thanks! :jump:

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Go with the GTS. It’s a fine wave kite and offers a little more grunt than the Section. Good thing about Core, all but the Impact come in LW models so you can stay on the kite you like. 15m GTS4 LW will give you great performance.

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites

Postby baxterbradford » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Thanks for taking time to write such a comprehensive review NEkitesurfing - really helpful and it sounds like the 12m Section 2 will be spot on for what I have in mind. I have 17m Free LW and XR5s in 13,5, 11 & 9m, all bought in last few months & sadly have had little use due to dreadful wind conditions in UK. I've noticed how wonderfully stable and well all of these kites soak up gusts, enabling smooth, locked out stance. I'm a heavy rider, a miscalculation saw me hanging onto the 11m in gusts of up to 40kts...! The 9m enabled me to average just over 31kts over 500m on a surfboard at Weymouth Speed Week.
I'm moving to a new part of the country where some of my kiting will be in proper surf, the remainder being mostly flat water. I think the 17m Free & 12m Section 2 will work well. My foiling also needs much work, but am expecting the new locations to help here since the main one lacks the aggressive chop prevalent where I currently kite.
Thanks ChickenDIcken, but I don't think the GTS is what I'm looking for. I agree, the LW kite versions do offer flexibility & my 17m Free LW does exactly what I wanted it to do.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:11 am

Understood. I’m still trying to figure out the Free. It’s a solid wave performer and like the XR (booster) and GTS (looper) wave riding is its ‘ability’ outside general freeriding. Section 2 was the model I demo’d for kicks (I’m not a wave rider) and it is a dedicated wave kite so perhaps the Free’s existence is justified? Your 17m Free with a 12m Section 2 sounds like a good choice to me.

I could use a 15m between my 12m and 19m XR5s but it’s not a big deal. Just goes and goes no matter what size I’m on. Powers up and dumps better than any kite I’ve used. Whatever is going on with that canopy and bridle, it’s impressive.

Return to “Kitesurfing”