Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

ION CS Wave Harness, waiting but not sure now.

Forum for kitesurfers
alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: ION CS Wave Harness, waiting but not sure now.

Postby alford » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:32 pm

@ Dan, here's the hole in the wave CS spreader bar I mentioned. To use "pivot style" you'd run a short single line of 3/16" or 1/4" dyneema through the hole and attach a 1" SS ring vial larks head or directly spliced. The chicken loop would then thread through ring, no donkey stick required.
Attachments
Csw.PNG

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:47 pm

Alexyga... Good question. The Apex, Vertex,Selects, Madtrixx, Hummer, Nova, Nova Select, and Sol (and maybe some others), basically all our 2018 harnesses except the more pricepoint crossover harnesses will come with the same new molded C-Bar spreaderbar/pad. Initially for cost reasons we were going to only release the new bar/clasp on the CS harnesses, so all our initial literature (pictures, salesbooks, etc.) show the old spreader bar on the rest of our harnesses but feedback was so positive on the new bar and entry system that we switched specs on production so most of our harnesses will come with the new C-Bar system.

Alford... Looks like yours is a pre-production photo. You can tell by the texture of the bar itself and the style of the brand badge (compare it to my photo). It's probable that the hole in the middle has more to do with the method of producing this one-off proto than any plan for an alternate attachment point. I'm still not totally clear on the advantage of the system you're describing, seems to me that having a single attachment point in the center of the bar would give you excess distance to the loop when centered (which equals less usable throw) while minimizing the distance the loop can travel side-to-side, all while maintaining the center of the bar as the load-carrying area, however if you think it's something we should look into I'll definitely pass that along.

-Dan

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:24 pm

I now see how the photo I referenced looks like an early prototype by comparison. As far as function, a single point pivot is very much like the Cabrinha Fireball system and I'd put it in between a rope slider setup and a fixed hook. One advantage is the user simply uses a standard chicken loop, nothing extra is needed, nothing to buy, and no donkey stick either.

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:32 pm

I see what you're saying, makes sense. For the record you can use a standard chicken loop sans donkey stick with this rope setup as well. For 2018 North Kiteboarding has a rope-specific chicken loop with a steel wrapped center section to minimize wear.

-Dan

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:55 pm

Dan-at-North wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:32 pm
I see what you're saying, makes sense. For the record you can use a standard chicken loop sans donkey stick with this rope setup as well. For 2018 North Kiteboarding has a rope-specific chicken loop with a steel wrapped center section to minimize wear.

-Dan
The rope will wear very quickly if you go straight CL to rope but easy enough to add a 1" ss ring or two. Thanks for your help!

Giorgio
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sydvestpynten - Denmark
Gear: Core
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi Dan!

since you giving so much good info (thanks a lot!!) i have a question too :-)

Though i am a man i am considering buying a nova select as i hope it will be more gentle on my bad rib (which is sticking out after i broke it kiting).
I understand from a post of your before in this thread that 2018 harnesses come with the new C bar. My question does the c bar of the nova select also have the very nice padding inside to make it more soft? there is a nova select review from realwatersports on youtube that shows it, but that is with the old bar.

What do should i expect? also do you agree with my choice of chosing the Nova select to save my shitty rib?

thanks a lot :-)

Giorgio

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 am

alford wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:55 pm
Dan-at-North wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:32 pm

-Dan
The rope will wear very quickly if you go straight CL to rope but easy enough to add a 1" ss ring or two. Thanks for your help!
In my experience I found 1or 2 SS rings still wear the rope quickly, a LFR is so much better.

Anyone have a pic of the opening & closing mech of the CS Wave please.

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Giorgio-

Not sure I can be of much help here... I'm not sure why you think a Nova would be better for your ribs than any other harness... Perhaps because it's lower profile? When I injure my ribs I usually switch to a B2 or other seat harness to totally alleviate the pressure on my ribs. Regardless, the C bar has a nice molded soft cushion on the inside/around the edges so I tend to think that it will protect ribs as well as our older spreader bars. The shape of it may also help... The loop for the lower strap attachment is further down, allowing the lower strap to more efficiently keep the spreader bar from flipping/pulling up.
Obviously it would be ideal if you could go in and try on the different harnesses, but if not, hopefully this helps.

Topmick-
There are multiple photos of the closing mech of the CS wave in this thread, both open and closed. If you need something else please let me know in more detail what image you're looking for.

-Dan

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Dan-at-North wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Topmick-
There are multiple photos of the closing mech of the CS wave in this thread, both open and closed. If you need something else please let me know in more detail what image you're looking for.

-Dan
Yes I see it now, soz - missed page 2
Looks like you adjust tightness via the straps, once adjusted to the correct tightness does this design allow you to get in / out - without having to play with the straps again ?

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi topmick,
I expect Dan will come back to you on this, but I'm guessing /hoping that by holding the webbing loop attached to the hook plate, the hook plate can be pulled across enough to hook into the vertical pin , that's after the adjustment straps have been set up how you want it. suck yer stomach in, then brute force and ignorance !

Return to “Kitesurfing”