Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Risk vs reward... learning and progression at 40

Postby DWX » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:11 pm

junebug wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:19 pm
All of the people claiming that age is in the mind just haven't had their bodies break down yet. For the lucky ones, this occurs late in life. For the less fortunate, it happens early. But it will happen to all of us who don't die early.

I'm 44 years old, I eat heathy, I exercise for 45 minutes or so 5 days a week, and I am slim and fit (6'3"/185 lbs). None of that changes the fact that I have arthritis in the bones of the lumbar region of my spine, bulging disks exacerbated by the arthritis, and muscle weakness because the disks rest on nerves. Staying fit helps, for sure, but I will never again be able to do things I could do in my 20s and 30s. And I don't even have it that bad--at least I can still kiteboard, although for shorter, less aggressive sessions than when I was younger. (Thank God for foiling!)

It may be true that you are only as old as you feel, but the condition of your body determines how you feel. If you are over 40 and haven't realized that yet, count your blessings.

Pulling out the world’s smallest violin just for you... we all have challenges in life... look at Billy, who is an a** for the most part, but doesn’t let a breakdown stop him... if you are always such a downer, no wonder... I’ll ask Him to pay you a visit! Amen

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:42 pm

DWX wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:11 pm
junebug wrote:
All of the people claiming that age is in the mind just haven't had their bodies break down yet. For the lucky ones, this occurs late in life. For the less fortunate, it happens early. But it will happen to all of us who don't die early.

I'm 44 years old, I eat heathy, I exercise for 45 minutes or so 5 days a week, and I am slim and fit (6'3"/185 lbs). None of that changes the fact that I have arthritis in the bones of the lumbar region of my spine, bulging disks exacerbated by the arthritis, and muscle weakness because the disks rest on nerves. Staying fit helps, for sure, but I will never again be able to do things I could do in my 20s and 30s. And I don't even have it that bad--at least I can still kiteboard, although for shorter, less aggressive sessions than when I was younger. (Thank God for foiling!)

It may be true that you are only as old as you feel, but the condition of your body determines how you feel. If you are over 40 and haven't realized that yet, count your blessings.

Pulling out the world’s smallest violin just for you... we all have challenges in life... look at Billy, who is an a** for the most part, but doesn’t let a breakdown stop him... if you are always such a downer, no wonder... I’ll ask Him to pay you a visit! Amen

Little harsh DMX. One persons pain is not anther person pain. Things can be mild, medium or extreme. the latter two can be game changers.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Older you get, the easier it is to get injured from trauma incident or over activity. It takes way longer to recover and some injury can lead to never really getting better.

You'll have to find your personal limits. Be smart, prepare, Think. Work out. Do progressions. Learn to hear what your body is saying to you.

I'm 58 and learned kiteboarding at 42 , but have a lifetime of board sports behind me. At around 52 I started feeling the stress's of kite loops , broke my ribs on a failed backroll kiteloop. I went over to strapless kiteboarding with intention to keep going as long as possible.

Last year learned hydrofoiling , which was brutal on my body, way harder than when I learned KB in 2002. Due to older body. Now it's easier. Still riding surfboard in certain conditions.

I think you should look at physio for your planar facia. That can be crippling and end your KB if you don't.
I've had it too.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:15 pm

"You'll have to find your personal limits. Be smart, prepare, Think. Work out. Do progressions. Learn to hear what your body is saying to you."

Very good summation from Tom......and comments from many others!!

And I would add to KEEP MOVING! We are made for that. Better to enjoy to the best of your ability than decay faster watching Judge Judy all day!!

I'm 79 and just got my first foil setup. Crazy yes, but I think it will be a joy to try something new for me.

Of course I will take all the extra precautions... and go slow.

I tried a diy foil briefly and found that getting bucked wasn't as bad as I anticipated!

I know that I can't progress as I would like on my TT, so this will be partly my new challenge.

Nothing beats being on the ocean with a kite and buddies!!!!!!

Pray for wind!

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:25 pm

oldkiter wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:15 pm
"You'll have to find your personal limits. Be smart, prepare, Think. Work out. Do progressions. Learn to hear what your body is saying to you."

Very good summation from Tom......and comments from many others!!

And I would add to KEEP MOVING! We are made for that. Better to enjoy to the best of your ability than decay faster watching Judge Judy all day!!

I'm 79 and just got my first foil setup. Crazy yes, but I think it will be a joy to try something new for me.

Of course I will take all the extra precautions... and go slow.

I tried a diy foil briefly and found that getting bucked wasn't as bad as I anticipated!

I know that I can't progress as I would like on my TT, so this will be partly my new challenge.

Nothing beats being on the ocean with a kite and buddies!!!!!!

Pray for wind!
Wooow... Congratulations for both your physical and mental power!

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:20 pm

DWX wrote:
junebug wrote:

I'm sure you have the world's smallest something, but I don't think it's a violin....

I didn't ask for your sympathy and I don't want it. My only point of bringing up my personal circumstances was to counter the fallacious claims that your age is in your mind and that if you just exercise you can stay healthy in perpetuity.

Have a nice day.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DWX » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 pm

junebug wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:20 pm
DWX wrote:
junebug wrote:

I'm sure you have the world's smallest something, but I don't think it's a violin....

I didn't ask for your sympathy and I don't want it. My only point of bringing up my personal circumstances was to counter the fallacious claims that your age is in your mind and that if you just exercise you can stay healthy in perpetuity.

Have a nice day.
I wasn’t being insensitive to you, I was trying to give others hope and joy. But whiners tend to only think about themselves. Selfless service to others is a foreign concept to them. That they are scaring others, robbing them of hope, and spreading irrational neuroses tends to be irrelevant; they just want to complain and feel better about themselves. It’s everyone’s personal doctors’ responsibility to tell them
what they can expect of their bodies, not ours! We help each other stay mentally fit & healthy, don’t bring each other down... is that so hard?

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:17 pm

DWX wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 pm
junebug wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:20 pm
DWX wrote:

Have a nice day.
I wasn’t being insensitive to you, I was trying to give others hope and joy. But whiners tend to only think about themselves. Selfless service to others is a foreign concept to them. That they are scaring others, robbing them of hope, and spreading irrational neuroses tends to be irrelevant; they just want to complain and feel better about themselves. It’s everyone’s personal doctors’ responsibility to tell them
what they can expect of their bodies, not ours! We help each other stay mentally fit & healthy, don’t bring each other down... is that so hard?
Really? Are you basing all this on Junebug's single post??

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:30 pm

News flash....things break easier when you get older( 50 plus IMO) just ask Robby Naish who broke his pelvis and then broke his foot first bay back.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:16 pm

"I'm 79 and just got my first foil setup. Crazy yes, but I think it will be a joy to try something new for me."

Off topic.

Wow OldKiter. Impressive at 79. I hope you have better conditions than I have for learning to hydrofoil. Being an autodidact, I had a go alone. But after some struggling for 3hrs on the water, torn wetsuit and ego, I took 4hrs private lessons and learned enough to solo fly. Highly recommended.

Return to “Kitesurfing”