Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Risk vs reward... learning and progression at 40

forum for kitesurfers

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Lake Arena CR, Cocoa Beach FL, Ivanpah CA, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV.
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, learning water
Gear: 15m LEI Slingshot Turbine, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemisis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, several boards both for water and snow Never Summer 153 best snow board is a 174 cm awesome on the powder.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Risk vs reward... learning and progression at 40

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:17 am

57 kiting 5 years. Life long adventurer. Probably not nearly as carefully as I should be. Always like to push myself. Built like a fire plug and heavy boned. Never broken a bone. Sounds kind of like bragging, had my first bout with Gout last year put me on crutches for over a week. Trying to stretch more, lose weight, add other routines like bicycling to my list. All in the name of kiting to which I'm addicted. My advice read and study New moves very carefully. Several things I've learned on this forum and YouTube have saved me from serious injury.

junebug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Risk vs reward... learning and progression at 40

Postby junebug » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:26 pm

lindseym wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:13 pm
junebug wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:20 pm
lindseym wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:26 am

Sorry to hear and hope for a speedy recovery. Just out of curiosity, what attributed to the arthritis and bulging disks? Was it something external like a car accident? Do they have you doing any specific PT?
Thanks. There isn't really recovery; just management of the symptoms. It's all genetic. Being hard on my body (mainly, running a bunch in my 20s and 30s) hasn't helped, but it was just a matter of time.

I take anti-inflammatory medicine and have a stretching routine that I do every day that the PT taught me a few years ago. Movement is good and it is best to have strong muscles around arthritic bones, so I try to do some form of regular exercise. About twice a year I will overdo something and be laid up in bed with back spasms for a few days. When that happens, I will go in to the doctor and get some muscle relaxers and opioids. Rinse and repeat.

Again, I know others have it much worse, and I'm not complaining. I'm lucky that I can still kiteboard (although it is mostly foiling these days); I just have to go for shorter sessions than I used to and stay as limber as possible.
Yea - my dad has rheumatoid arthritis and its definitely taken a toll but he has his good days and bad days. After seeing its effects I deeply sympathize for anyone with arthritis and like to learn as much as a can about it so as to avoid it as much as possible. It sounds like you have a solid control of it and are doing everything you need to do. You may also consider checking out some of the Wim Hof stuff (cold therapy). Its not much fun but pretty effective as an anti-inflammatory. For me, its helped reduce my allergy and asthma symptoms. I'm purchased the 10 week course awhile back but there's tons of free stuff online. Here's a vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKgUE76udK4
Aside from that, you may also explore trying out a ketosis diet. Again, this is something that's not fun...actually it sux...but its anti-inflammatory effects are supposed to be very strong. I have not tried it yet but will probably do it as a cleanse for during the year for a temporary period. Be well.
Appreciate it. I will check it out.

Cheers!

Return to “Kitesurfing”