Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

World Record 19m / 63ft ! Largest Wave Ever Kitesurfed

Forum for kitesurfers
or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: World Record 19m / 63ft ! Largest Wave Ever Kitesurfed

Postby or6 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:05 pm

Spot on, plummet.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DWX » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:15 pm

I agree braving a 20m wave is pretty much victory or death - risk in our sport is always unto death, not unto injury - but there are a number of things you can do to prepare. You need time to build up the skills & strength you need to improve your chances of survival. It’s not just legends! In fact calling the achievement of those who braved the monsters in the past “empty legends” is as trollish as saying it’s a piece of cake. These guys didn’t die so you can call them empty legends. They left us solid knowledge if we’d care to preserve it & pass it on. Robby knows a lot but is holding back for some reason. I’d love to know more.

If I were stranded on an island and had to choose which book to take with me next to the Bible & Shakespeare, it would be the still non-existent one on surfing/kitesurfing monsters. My New Years wish is to get this book produced, preferably with Robby’s collaboration... a girl can wish

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:25 pm

P. S. Most big wave surfers died at unknown spots & conditions, never in the home wave... so there is something to be said about knowing the spot you are riding; there are a number of factors & calculations you can make to guarantee near certain victory; it would be interesting to compare Maui, Nazare & Peru as well as other known big wave spots... there is a method to the madness

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:35 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:20 pm
Well, then, maybe
you should quit your forum flack
and just go out there and show us how it ‘should’ be done if it’s so easy

We will be holding our breath waiting.......
plummet wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:43 pm
Got to love the keyboard warriors saying "that's easy", " not in the critical part of the wave"....

I've ridden some big waves over the years. Nothing even close to this monster.
I'm thinking triple head high, maybe 1/3rd the size of this wave?.

I can only image what riding that monster would be like. It is certainly stuff up and die material. Riding any part of that wave going in or out is legendary. I doubt very much that the trolls on this thread would even put a wet suit on.
Biggest wave i ever rode in 20 years of paddle-in surfing, was at Blacks in SD , and it was
only double over-head , (maybe) ; any bigger than that , and Bille is gonna go flying his
HG , for the Adrenaline-Fix. :(

Do i feel like a Wimp for saying that ? OH -- Hell NO, (well maybe a little bit) ; it's what i
do , and it is enough for Me. :thumb:

I really hate it when Trolls talk their Crap; usually tells me they ain't got anything ,
to back-Up their shit. :lol:

Bille

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:55 pm

plummet wrote:
Got to love the keyboard warriors saying "that's easy", " not in the critical part of the wave"....

I can only image what riding that monster would be like. It is certainly stuff up and die material. Riding any part of that wave going in or out is legendary. I doubt very much that the trolls on this thread would even put a wet suit on.
Anyone saying it's easy is way over their heads but bravery put aside, if this specific wave can't be ridden the way it should be done how can it be a world record?

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:40 pm

LiquidXtasy wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:11 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 am
I don't know. The sequences I'm seeing are very incomplete, but at one point the wake shows that he has ridden directly down the face of the wave, pretty much the same at a tow-in surfer. Yes, he ends up well in front of the breaking part of the wave, but that seems to be the only way to avoid getting caught by the wave as it's moving so fast. All the surfers do the same thing, or ride up high so that they can kick out the side - when they don't, they end up being caught by the wave.
The guy just made 1 tack, back and forth.

Let that sink in for a minute...
Not being a wave guy i don't know for sure but i imagine it's a similar scenario/argument that occurs on here with kota.... when the risk becomes so huge the pressure not to f*** up can make basic skills become a lot more difficult. Look at the Russian nuts hanging off buildings and bridges with one arm taking selfies for example, simple to do ground level but different story up there. Even if i had the ability to outrun that wave, one glance behind and i know i'd shit it, get a speed wobble and stack it :lol:

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Billie is right: to each their passion. Monster riding is an obsession, like all good things in life. You have to be 500% committed, possessed, living and breathing for it. It’s not for everyone. I’m obsessed with the riders & their obsessions.... Billie understands bc he knows what it’s like to risk everything for your obsession.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:49 am

plummet wrote:
I doubt very much that the trolls on this thread would even put a wet suit on.
Yeah - reminds me of the armchair surfers who pronounced that Lewis Crathern's Brighton Pier was no big deal, because anyone can jump high.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:43 am

Be interesting to know his top speed coming down that monster.

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:22 am

slim_charles wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:40 pm
LiquidXtasy wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:11 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 am
I don't know. The sequences I'm seeing are very incomplete, but at one point the wake shows that he has ridden directly down the face of the wave, pretty much the same at a tow-in surfer. Yes, he ends up well in front of the breaking part of the wave, but that seems to be the only way to avoid getting caught by the wave as it's moving so fast. All the surfers do the same thing, or ride up high so that they can kick out the side - when they don't, they end up being caught by the wave.
The guy just made 1 tack, back and forth.

Let that sink in for a minute...
Not being a wave guy i don't know for sure but i imagine it's a similar scenario/argument that occurs on here with kota.... when the risk becomes so huge the pressure not to f*** up can make basic skills become a lot more difficult. Look at the Russian nuts hanging off buildings and bridges with one arm taking selfies for example, simple to do ground level but different story up there. Even if i had the ability to outrun that wave, one glance behind and i know i'd shit it, get a speed wobble and stack it :lol:
Doing things just for the camera, to show off or to make a buck isn’t an obsession, it’s stupidity... Learn the difference

Return to “Kitesurfing”