Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: World Record 19m / 63ft ! Largest Wave Ever Kitesurfed

Postby andylc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:00 am

They may not have a kite but they do have frigging jet skis. Surfing a wave that size with a kite is more out there in my opinion, whether or not the doubters think he got the whole wave or not.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:11 am

DWX wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:24 pm
Sorry to disagree Toby! It takes a huge amount of skill, planning & knowledge of the spot. You call it balls, but it takes a lot more than that. It’s really a core passion of existence when you do it right... these guys are no kooks. Even hanging from buildings can be a passion if you are not just showing off, but developing a skill methodically & giving your life meaning in the process... Life on this rock would be unbearable without passion, so who am I to judge...
You seem to be pretty good at it, must have taken a lot of practice! ;-)

Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip
Has thanked: 0

Postby Seabizzle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:43 am

I am going to be so brash as to suggest that all the people being critical on this thread are not people who have significant experience in real waves of consequence

Sure the simple act of riding along the wave is not highly technical but there are just so many other factors and aspects to the feat and the experience of surfing or kiting in waves like this that cannot be understood unless you have experienced similar situations. It is purely foolish to pass judgement from behind your screen and criticize this riders feat.

Classic clueless keyboard warrior behaviour :lol:

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Been thanked: 0

Postby DWX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:21 pm

Really, irejohn? Where? Butthurt?

People will judge & criticize, not much you can do about it. You can wave the Ten Commandments in front of them all you want, they’ll keep warring & that’s OK as long as you are able to draw some knowledge out of it, any interaction is helpful... such is life on earth! For everything else you got heaven or the other place...

HellYeah
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras SC.
Favorite Beaches: South Padri Island, Aruba, Maui, Cape Town Africa
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Cabrinha
Slingshot
Naish
Brand Affiliation: Starbucks

Postby HellYeah » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Great video, but i have my own views about the video.

Being a wave surfer from around different parts I just wanted to point out that surfing takes a lot of skill to master, and standing up and riding is the hardest part of surfing. When you wipe out in a big wave you better have your technique down or else you will be in a load of trouble. I have hit my head on the bottom of the sea floor, hit my head on a reef, had my board hit me in the face and almost drowned one day due to my inexperience. The bottom line is, surfing big waves is NOT easy. That's why a lot of surfers now use tow ins and straps on their boards.

But when you have a kite that is pulling you at full speed past where the waves are breaking, I just can't see it any other way except easy. With the speed of a kite and the ability to move around where ever you want, how can this be anything except easy? If I gave that kiter a normal surfboard with a normal leash then he would be toast without his kite and kiteboard. With the wind pulling you at full speed you are safe for the most part, and if you feel like a wave is breaking at the wrong point in front of you, then just turn around and head the other way. That's probably why the movie was broken up into little clips.

And I also think the majority of this thread boils down to the mentality of the people talking in it. The ones saying that nobody can do this except Jesse Richmond or the other kiter are the ones that probably can't surf big waves or who have no experience in waves, or maybe this is something frightening to them in real life. Whatever the case, to them it can't be done.
But to the people who have had experience in waves, and who know what to do in dangerous situations, this probably doesn't seem that hard for them since they know what to do. I'm not saying everyone on this thread has experience, but to the majority who have, this can seem easy.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:03 pm

Jeez, there's an echo in here today! Or is it my tinnitus? :(

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:04 pm

DWX wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:21 pm
Really, irejohn? Where? Butthurt?

People will judge & criticize, not much you can do about it. You can wave the Ten Commandments in front of them all you want, they’ll keep warring & that’s OK as long as you are able to draw some knowledge out of it, any interaction is helpful... such is life on earth! For everything else you got heaven or the other place...
Sorry DUX, don't do sky fairies. Each to their own.

wingnut
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Squampton, Acadia, Jericho, Spanish Banks, Ambleside Septic farm.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, La Ventana (Baja Sur), Uppers, Nitinat.
Style: wave freestyle strapless
Gear: North Rebels 7,9,12, Naish, Dakine, Taaroa, Airush Ultra 6,9,12,15
Brand Affiliation: Soulfoodgodwax

Postby wingnut » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:19 pm

HellYeah wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:27 pm
But when you have a kite that is pulling you at full speed past where the waves are breaking, I just can't see it any other way except easy. With the speed of a kite and the ability to move around where ever you want, how can this be anything except easy? If I gave that kiter a normal surfboard with a normal leash then he would be toast without his kite and kiteboard. With the wind pulling you at full speed you are safe for the most part, and if you feel like a wave is breaking at the wrong point in front of you, then just turn around and head the other way. That's probably why the movie was broken up into little clips.

And I also think the majority of this thread boils down to the mentality of the people talking in it. The ones saying that nobody can do this except Jesse Richmond or the other kiter are the ones that probably can't surf big waves or who have no experience in waves, or maybe this is something frightening to them in real life. Whatever the case, to them it can't be done.
But to the people who have had experience in waves, and who know what to do in dangerous situations, this probably doesn't seem that hard for them since they know what to do. I'm not saying everyone on this thread has experience, but to the majority who have, this can seem easy.
+1 and that, IMHO, is what it really comes down to. I think you summed it up pretty well.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️

Postby DWX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:45 pm

HellYeah wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:27 pm
Great video, but i have my own views about the video.

Being a wave surfer from around different parts I just wanted to point out that surfing takes a lot of skill to master, and standing up and riding is the hardest part of surfing. When you wipe out in a big wave you better have your technique down or else you will be in a load of trouble. I have hit my head on the bottom of the sea floor, hit my head on a reef, had my board hit me in the face and almost drowned one day due to my inexperience. The bottom line is, surfing big waves is NOT easy. That's why a lot of surfers now use tow ins and straps on their boards.

All right, let’s see you do it 🙄talk is cheap

That’s a lot of typing to stroke your ego! I’m guessing your work-reward economy is way off kilter, meaning you mostly work & don’t get much reward. Sad life!

I just feel sorry for you

FranciscoCP
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Bela Vista, Nova Vaga, Fonte da Telha, Alvor.
Gear: Slingshot SST v6 12m
Slingshot SST 2019 9m
Slingshot Wave SST 2016 6 m
Slingshot The Sentry v1.1
Eleveight Curl Pro 5'10''
HB Bonaparte 5'7''
Dakine C-1

Postby FranciscoCP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:16 pm

I hear all perspectives above...

but let me tell you that the rider in question (Nuno "Stru" Figueiredo) is an experienced wave kitesurfer.

I've seen a bunch of videos of the guy surfing 3-4 meter waves in Supertubos (in Peniche), with monster barrels and aggressive beach breaks, and the guy has the skills and definitevly the balls...

This to say, that if he himself is happy and proud of having accomplished this, I believe it has merit.

We can discuss how much merit, but unquestionably there is quite some merit.

Its pushing the limits of kitesurfing.

If anything is to go wrong in Nazaré, you can easily pay it with your life!

(just my 2 cents...)

Return to “Kitesurfing”