Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurfing in Bohol

Postby reyrivera » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:04 pm

Hey,

Looking for information in Bohol. I will be there for a week in Panglao middle of January (in a week or so from today), looking for information on spots, schools, rentals. I will be bringing some gear but would probably need to rent a board. The shops seem to gear towards beginner instruction only. I could pay a fee to hitch a boat ride to small islands where you guys are teaching? It would be nice to be in a group as I am not familiar with Bohol yet. I am a seasoned but conservative kiter (kiting since 2005), I will be bringing my foil with me.

Thanks
Rey

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kitesurfing in Bohol

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 pm

Where is Bohol?

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Hi Rey, I can't give you any advice but would sure appreciate yours. I'm going to be in Bohol and Panglao in late January until mid February (and then off to Bantayan) and would sure love to learn from your experiences. Please post anything you learn.

By the way, Toby, Bohol is in the Philippines. It's east of Cebu and north of Mindanao.

Thanks,

John

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:42 pm

Well, okay then, I will report in with my experience good or bad when I get back.

I can give you a bit of advice in Bantayan, my wife is from there, her dad owns a beach front property (undeveloped) in Malbago, and I kite in our Malbago property and Santa Fe, downwind of the Cebu Port authority, depending on wind direction. I'm a Philippine expat, born there, moved to the US when I was 16 30 year or so years ago, military brat. I'm 165 lbs, ride a 12 meter Caution kite and a 6 foot surfboard. Could be perfect for foiling with a short mast, but I'm not sure about the underwater terrain as there are lots of marked fish pond enclosures, so I will need more riding time there before I go foiling.

The wind is consistent but light. There is a new kite school there but not sure how often they teach in that area, I have not had a chance to return there and have a chat with them.

The last time I was in Boracay two years ago, I met a Filipino instructor who lives in Bantayan. She kites when she goes home, she says its light wind but consistent.

There are no known kite shop or retailer in Cebu, let me know if you find one. At one point I was hunting for a surfboard that I can use, even skim boards. The only place I found was a dive shop in Ayala shopping center in Cebu city. They were selling a pink Roxy 8 foot surfboard equivalent to $850.00 USD.

So, you need to be self sufficient and bring your gear.

Flying from island to island can be tricky as they use small planes, bringing a board can be expensive as the charge varies, which is why I built a boogie board foil, hopefully will work during my travels.

No further information I can give, but I hope this little tid bit will help.

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:55 pm

Looks like there are two schools in Bohol, far away from each other, they probably use boats to go to smaller islands and teach there.

https://www.seasidebohol.com/the-best-p ... tesurfing/

http://www.boholkitesurfing.com/

Kiting in the Philippines can be a challenge when it comes to finding an ideal spot. So far, my best experience is kiting in Boracay, Siargao, and boat assisted tours on remote islands.

Its a developing country and lots of corrupt politicians.

There is a movement that tries to get the population access to all beaches, but that is typically stymied as big hotels and corporations just block beach access and only let their patrons go in. Entrances are typically guarded.

Public beaches that are accessible are typically either filled with pump boats all over the place, so there's the hazard, and of course the beaches are not maintained. I'm used to be fond of Talisay beach in Cebu, perfect spot for foiling, but there is just trash all over the place. You'll probably grow a third eye swimming in that beach.

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:05 am

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bohol ... 24.1435427

Known for diving destination in the Philippines.
Toby wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 pm
Where is Bohol?

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:24 am

Hey Rey, that is great information, thanks! I'm bringing my own homemade split twintip in a duffel so getting around should be easy enough. I will be bringing a couple of foil kites which should be good for light winds but of course I might want to be pretty picky about my launching locations. I will be staying at Kota Beach in Santa Fe, Bantayan and have a few days reserved at the tip of Panglao. Still a number of days I haven't planned...maybe go to Malapascua or just spend more time on Bohol and Panglao. Also spending a (non-kiting) week in Tagbilaran. Hoping to find enough places with wide enough beaches for launching, and sideshore to onshore winds.

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Nika from boholkitesurfing responded to my email, Yes!

I have been to Bohol once, really great place. This looks like its gonna be a good decision to explore Bohol a bit further.
Bohol Kitesurfing Center wrote: Bohol Kitesurfing Center <hello@boholkitesurfing.com> Today at 2:58 AM

Hey Rey,

yes, we have good spot for riding with shallow water and we can organize the trip, you just need to cover transportation fees. It's plenty deep there, some people came to us with the foil. And yes, we can rent a board, we have CrazyFly 135x40 and 145x41.
I will write in the forum when they approve my registration:)

Best,
Nika
reyrivera wrote: Hey,

I will be in Bohol next week looking for a spot. There is also another person visiting at the end of January.

I'm a seasoned but conservative kiter. When you guys teach in an island, could I tag along and kite alongside with you guys. Do you offer that type of service? Do you also rent boards? I will be bringing my foil but I'm not sure how deep your kite spots are in that area.

Could you respond to this kiteforum post if you don't mind?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:34 pm

The Virgin Island of Panglao looks amazing!

Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: South Sweden
Gear: Blade
Shinn

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:37 am

I just came from Bohol last Friday. We had already been kitesurfing (on Cuyo Island) on the same trip and rounded off in Panglao over new year for some celebration as well as diving.
I was not expecting any kiting going on in Panglao and was surprised to find out that there was a kite center, as mentioned above, only the last day of our staying.
It was not very windy when we were there and over five days, one day was windy but with the wind from an unexpected direction. I think that this was due to the typhoons and will be more stable in a few weeks.
I can't really tell anything about kite spots on Panglao but last year we were in Anda (east Bohol) and there was a nice beach that would work in easterly winds. There was very little wind when we were there (in Anda) and I only saw a Flysurfer speed 21 in the air.
Panglao is quite crowded only on the Alona beach and many other beaches sees much less people. Ask the guys on the kite center for info on kite spots. I can perhaps give some recommendation on other things than the kiting though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”