Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Boosting - bar motion and sheeting

Forum for kitesurfers
kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Boosting - bar motion and sheeting

Postby kjorn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:56 am

I'm always looking to boost higher ... so I took a look at Lewis Cratherns videos on how to boost.

In one of the videos he talked about how he sheets the bar out to where he can just feel the kite 'bite'. This sends the kite further around the window, then he gets 100% speed, then he swings the kite back and when it is overhead sheets in.

Now this is totally different to how I've been doing it with my old C kites. I've always had the bar 1/2 way in, lots of grunt and lots of edging. Then as I swing the kite I'm pulling it in fully at the same time. So this results in the kite being deeper in the window and getting a much gruntier pop. But I've been stuck at 11m-12m doing this.

I tried the new Lewis method and it seemed to give me an extra meter or two today. He said that because the kite is further around the window, when you send it, the kite will travel more over your head... which makes sense. I need to experiment more to really get a good idea if it's making a lot of difference.

Thoughts? How do you sheet the bar? Any insights? :)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Re: Boosting -- bar motion and sheeting

Postby downunder » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:32 am

The biggest jumps on flat water happen when we stomp the board properly.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:15 am

The ultimate aim is to get as much line tension as possible whilst still controlling the edge. Having the kite close to the edge of the wind window will mean that when you send the kite there is less sideways pull.

Watching the guys on the C-kites here, I notice they often use the big kite method - max edge, send the kite up slowly (as in not sending it) and then as it approaches the zenith turn it hard as you stomp for takeoff. Have tried it with bigger kites and it definitely does let you keep line tension with a strong edge.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:18 am

When you are really powered and get speed, you will be too fast when your are pulling in the bar.

Therefore you need to ride sheeted fully out, send the kite and then pull the bar completely towards you. All the depower way is power for the jump when sheeting in.

Plus edging hard at the right moment gets you boosted.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:48 am

I agree with Toby. But also the timing changes depending on kite sizes, wind speeds and different styled of kites.

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:46 pm

kjorn wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:56 am
I'm always looking to boost higher ... so I took a look at Lewis Cratherns videos on how to boost.

In one of the videos he talked about how he sheets the bar out to where he can just feel the kite 'bite'. This sends the kite further around the window, then he gets 100% speed, then he swings the kite back and when it is overhead sheets in.

Intersting, can you provide a link to the video?

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:40 am

I like it when I'm over powered on my kite and I can jump, land and in about 10 meters I'm going fast enough to do another big jump.
I have a Switch Nitro 14m and a Switch Legacy 12m and I find I have to be a bit more careful with the Nitro not to pull in too much as I carve up wind before the jump. With the Legacy, I find jumping is easiest if I keep about 60mm of de-power, it gives me better line slack and lifts me off my edge less as I'm carving up wind before I jump. My best height comes with properly combining good speed, an undisturbed arc as I transition my speed to carving hard up wind, and heading into a gust and or wave. Lots of practice and sometimes I get them all together. My best jumping conditions are pretty much direct on shore with spread out waves, no chop between to build scorching speed and then pop hard off the wave and pull hard on the bar all at the same time as I've finished bringing the kite overhead. If I bring the kite past overhead I jump higher but at risk of the kite bleeding off too much of my speed and then loosing apparent wind and diving through the lines if I'm really unlucky. As for my positioning of the kite before I jump, it depends what I'm using and whether I'm overpowered or not. If the sea is really choppy then I try not to reach down wind too much as my board is only medium/low rocker and I have to keep up the back foot pressure to avoid a face plant. For a slower moving kite I'll bring it more one o'clockish (goofy jumping) before carving up to the jump but for a little fast kite (like a 7m) and no chop I can have the kite far out in front at and low and then whip it up overhead fast when I'm ready to pull the bar down. My board doesn't have great pop as I designed it with 25mm concave but that same concave lets me hold a really good edge.
Technically, I'm trying to get lots of speed and then carve up wind with as much speed and up wind direction combined. All that energy is what is going to lift me when I pull the bar because it's that speed which will hold my apparent speed into the wind and give me launching energy into the wind for the wind to fly my kite really high.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Bartolo wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:46 pm
kjorn wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:56 am

Intersting, can you provide a link to the video?
not sure if he means this, but have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpulMqP9Rw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpulMqP9Rw

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil