TBBUK
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2
Local Beach: Exmouth
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

Forearm Burn - What to do about it

Postby TBBUK » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:37 am

I struggle with forearm burn when wearing gloves particularly in strong gusty choppy conditions when working the kite costantly to get out over messy waves etc. There's been lots of discussion relating to different types of gloves but i couldn't see anything about exercises people may have done off the water to try and reduce this problem? Any advice appreciated. As soon as i took the gloves off yesterday (i've tried a few different kinds) the problem went away, but the session was then curtailed 30mins later due to frozen fingers. Thanks

or6
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding, strictly strapless
Gear: RRD Religion 5, 6, 7 8 and 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3"

Re: Forearm Burn - What to do about it

Postby or6 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:48 am

Bremshey-handtrainer-knijp-halter-08BRSFU148.jpg
Bremshey-handtrainer-knijp-halter-08BRSFU148.jpg (32.4 KiB) Viewed 706 times
I have the same issue....maybe use one of these, while wearing gloves?

To be clear, I haven't tried it...I just went back to my openpalmed mittens. No burn, but quite cold :-(

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 am

There should be windsurfing gloves without the palm (only cover the back of your hand and top of fingers. Or you may want to cut the palm and forefinger out of an old pair of gloves and see how it goes. Not as warm as full glove but better than no glove.
In the past I have used dish-washing gloves (thin rubber, just keeps the windchill down) when too cold but nowadays I just go skateboarding when it's freezing (live to kite another day....)

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Pembrey South Wales
Favorite Beaches: Exmouth
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Style: All
Gear: Naish/F One/Slingshot

Postby SLiiCK » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:52 pm

I’ve had the same problem for years did do the one with the marigolds(washing up gloves) with a thin cotton glove liner did work the best but they never lasted long I always go for a looser fitting glove and as thin as possible but not to thin to not compensate against the cold but still eventually get finger fatigue, I do lots of chin ups and hanging bodyweight exercises to build up grip strength helps a bit all i can say is roll on summer but still getting out in winter is better than not getting out for me anyway. Mind you out in Fuerteventura at the moment so having a break from the gloves :D

Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: South Sweden
Gear: Blade
Shinn

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Try this one. Thin in the palm. Pre formed grip for less force. Pretty good grip. Thick outside and sides provide enough heat unless ice on the water. All four factors important for relaxed surfing. If you can do with mittens it is great.
https://www.murrays.com/product/dakine- ... ene-mitts/

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54

Postby matth » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Open palm mitts work great in moderate cold conditions, I love them. If the water is frigid and time in the water could happen, then you will need a closed mitt to protect your hands from freezing.
Also try not to grip the bar so tight and rest one hand at a time when you can. This was a huge problem in windsurfing because the booms are much thicker and that makes the cramping worse. I have never found it a problem when kiting even with my closed mitts on.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:04 pm

you need to reduce the amount of material under the grip. Dakine Mitts as mentioned above are some of the best for this because they don't have any neoprene on the palm just a cover and 2-3mm of neoprene on the back of the mitts. If you are running 5 or 6mm gloves and want to continue using gloves and get more time in on the water, switch to 2mm gloves and just come in every 30 minutes to warm up the hands. Another thing that can help is to use bars with a smaller diameter. Kiting should be plenty of exercise to improve the grip, but it takes a while to build up the forearms, and the best way to build them up is have more time on the water, which you can't do if you have thick gloves.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:20 pm

I have the same problem when wearing gloves when the air temperature gets below 8C. Have got a pair of the below pre-bent gloves to try, will see how they work in the coming week (I hope).

https://www.ion-products.com/water-men- ... gloves-32/

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:55 pm

You need to adjust your technique, you shouldn't have a deathgrip on the bar. Ride with your fingers loosely around the bar with your thumbs on the bottom for leverage (not wrapped around). Your hands should be very relaxed and causing no strain at all, whether you're wearing gloves or not.

Bad:

Good:

TBBUK
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2
Local Beach: Exmouth
Gear: North

Postby TBBUK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks for the replies. I agree with Dylan that technique is important, but it only gets me when conditions are really gusty and messy. I'm going to try out some windsurfing gloves from a mate (current gloves are 2mm so pretty thin). I've spent a few months on and off working out with the hand grips, so think its time to go more hardcore in this area and introduce a greater range of activites (something like this: https://blog.paleohacks.com/forearm-exercises/). If anyone has tried other exercises successfully let me know. Cheers.

Return to “Kitesurfing”