Been thanked: 0

Re: How to self land core sensor pro bar

Postby RedStar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm

Largorn wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:02 am
SamPolish wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am
[…]
I have a carabiner and dyneema during session in my drysiuts pocket, if there is an option, will use it as nr one solution
[…]
This is what I do too. Only that I already set it up at the beach when going out and leave it there, so far I still have it :wink:
It's the only self landing method that I know of that is reliably safe. When I come to the beach and no one is there and there is also no spot to fix the carabiner / dyneema, I don't go kiting anymore. Had a few very bad experiences with self landing by pulling one of the power lines. Most of the time it works, but when it goes wrong you watch your kite slowly drift into the power zone, where it then rips you off your feet.
QR!! If no other method to land pull quick release. If self landing goes bad pull QR. Rather simple. Don’t wait kire to drift back to power zone :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:56 pm

If I have to go ashore really powered, or for a break far away from the launch point, or just to get ashore - I ditch the safety first, and then climb the frontline to the V, and from then on both frontlines till up at the kite :thumb:

IF something should go wrong (never experienced this though), I am ready to just let it all go, without the risk being tangled or into the safety that could be twisted and risky now.

Using the QR is the last option I choose, only if nothing else seems safer.

8) Peter

Largorn
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Brunotti and Slingshot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Largorn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 pm

RedStar wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm
QR!! If no other method to land pull quick release. If self landing goes bad pull QR. Rather simple. Don’t wait kire to drift back to power zone :)
Yeah probably that would have been better. It was in ~30kn side onshore wind at Dolphin Beach, Capetown. I was afraid that the kite would fly onto the street when I release the safety, the alternative that I fly onto the street together with the kite if I don't release didn't occur to me that quickly, only had about 2 seconds to think. Also only had 2 years of kiting experience back then (2012), which makes going out at Dolphin Beach in these conditions and then even trying to selfland the kite even more questionable :roll:

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:03 pm

SamPolish wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:24 pm
I have noticed different/ high Y split point and not sure if I can self or how to land in 20-28 knots.
I kite alone sometimes and always used low V bar, pulled upper middle line for landing.
it's a specific disadvantage of high-Y bar that you can easily self land only on one side by puling one of center lines.
It's good for camera line mount giving you more view on the other hand.

in 28 knots self landing is tricky though with any bar.

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Weight: 188
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT
Has thanked: 0

Postby DSZ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:40 pm

So true, high Y complicates self landing. Low Y much quicker, easier and safer. I fly Airush and Core. Airush low Y and Lithiums launch/land easily and controlled even over 25 knots. Core with the high Y, much different. That's the only real flaw in the whole Core program in my opinion although I wish the XRs were faster turning kites. My Lithiums are much faster. Why does Core design their kite needing high Y anyway?

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:48 am

Dsz, pm sent

Return to “Kitesurfing”