Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beginner kites with the best safety systems?

Forum for kitesurfers
jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Beginner kites with the best safety systems?

Postby jeromeL » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:37 am

GJibb wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:18 am
slightly off original topic but you can watch any BRM video and notice each user will pull the center lines and they can easily reach the bar.
maybe some people just dont know how to make full use their equipment and consider that a downfall of the brand...
its pretty simply just a kite connected to a bar with lines not some complicated contraption
Lol yes off topic but here is video on what to do when bar isn't designed for short arm, it's kind of sketchy and not safe unless wind is super steady....
https://youtu.be/L8EVsTX7Cik

Anyway off topic and don't recommend using that technique.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:14 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:43 pm
diogovilla wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:28 pm
For the reasons below, I believe the Cloud Connection System to be the safest of all:

1) Option to fully disconnect with 01 step only.
2) One single front line system.
3) More depower, because the bar is closer to the body ( Does any other system has 72cm of travel to sheet in/out?)
Unless the OP's girlfriend has exceptionally long arms the Cloud Connection is absolutely not suitable!
stofferholm wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:03 pm
Hope someone can help me.

I'm trying to find the best and safest beginner kite for my girlfriend.

Which ones can you recommend that flags on only one line (single frontline or 5th line) ?

Take care
For example, better to use a SS Sentinel bar with a rope slider and SS Talon QR to bring everything closer to her.
While I agree with your comments on the cloud system, and I believe the cloud system needs to be under tension to release which would not be awesome (someone can clarify), but I would never recommend a rope slider system to a beginner for a myriad of reasons not limited to the addition of one extra important moving part on the control system, and bare line with a pulley close to the QR.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:14 pm
While I agree with your comments on the cloud system, and I believe the cloud system needs to be under tension to release which would not be awesome (someone can clarify), but I would never recommend a rope slider system to a beginner for a myriad of reasons not limited to the addition of one extra important moving part on the control system, and bare line with a pulley close to the QR.
I guess it's a tradeoff between the two with the fixed point perhaps being easier to learn with vs the rope bringing the bar closer to the body.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:44 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:46 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
I guess it's a tradeoff between the two with the fixed point perhaps being easier to learn with vs the rope bringing the bar closer to the body.
Or one could also use a smaller harness loop or a system like Fireball that is already about 8cm closer to the body without any tradeoff.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:44 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Cab Driver wrote:
Or one could also use a smaller harness loop or a system like Fireball that is already about 8cm closer to the body without any tradeoff.
The Fireball brings the bar "about 8cm closer to the body" than what?

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:54 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
iriejohn wrote:

Good point! The entire Fireball assembly is longer than some some CL setups with the spreader bar hook included.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:52 am

Grind off the hook and weld a small half ring on the bar. Then remove the lower part of the Fireball(the ball part) and hook directly to the ring. Make the ring whatever size you want.

Hpr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Postby Hpr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:51 am

I don’t think a trimless system (like BRM) is ideal in some conditions. If you kite somewhere where the wind might go from 20 to 30 knots during the session, you won’t be able to adjust the bar position (by trimming) and will need to ride with the bar further out and your arms straighter. I’ve never used a trimless bar so maybe I understand it wrong. But I have used bars with very little trim adjustment and didn’t like at all how I had to have the bar at different (uncomfortable) positions when the wind changed and I ran out of trim.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:21 am

Hpr wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:51 am
I don’t think a trimless system (like BRM) is ideal in some conditions. If you kite somewhere where the wind might go from 20 to 30 knots during the session, you won’t be able to adjust the bar position (by trimming) and will need to ride with the bar further out and your arms straighter. I’ve never used a trimless bar so maybe I understand it wrong. But I have used bars with very little trim adjustment and didn’t like at all how I had to have the bar at different (uncomfortable) positions when the wind changed and I ran out of trim.
Depends very much on the kite. The BRM kites typically have a very short trim range (I believe this was one of the design goals). Which is one of the reasons it takes a while to adjust to the kite.
Because of the this, a trim system is largely redundant.
The additional throw is there to allow a huge amount of depower. Because you can pretty much depower the kite completely by simply letting go of the bar, you really only ever need to release to one line in exceptional circumstances.

The C2 17 is my favourite kite for teaching friends and relatives. You can practise in 10kn, it reacts slowly and if you get flustered you just let go of the bar.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:30 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
iriejohn wrote:

versus a standard loop system and a standard spreader bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”