Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Leash carabiner opening after unhook trick?

Forum for kitesurfers
Zian kiteboarding
Medium Poster
Gear: Aquila, Kima, Hantu
Brand Affiliation: Zian kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0

Re: Leash carabiner opening after unhook trick?

Postby Zian kiteboarding » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1OI6McCZqs

Its an old movie but this is what happens. No force needed at all! Not a bad carabiner perse (although off course there are carabiners that can be locked). Its just that the size of the carabiner icw the size of the ring are a bad combination and the ring twists exactly the carabiner open at the place where it needs the least force.

The funny thing is. It also depends on the used technique of the rider. We had some people who never had it and some who had it nearly each missed handlepass. No difference in the material or how easy the carabiner opened. It was the difference in technique which made this situation as in the video happen at one person.

After this we made the small ring on the suicide ring a bit smaller so it cant fall over the opening and problem was solved.

I have been trying during past years multiple combinations in the field from other people and have seen that it can happen with multiple brands out of the box and sometimes because people use a different brand leash with the bar. More and more brands add something over the opening of the carabiner which also will solve the issue I guess.

Anyway, many solutions possible, movie just shows what happens during that handle pass (we think)
Last edited by Zian kiteboarding on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:25 pm

Zian kiteboarding wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:15 pm

This is what happens. No force needed at all! Not a bad carabiner perse (although off course there are carabiners that can be locked). Its just that the size of the carabiner icw the size of the ring are a bad combination and the ring twists exactly the carabiner open at the place where it needs the least force.

The funny thing is. It also depends on the used technique of the rider. We had some people who never had it and some who had it nearly each missed handlepass. No difference in the material or how easy the carabiner opened. It was the difference in technique which made this situation as in the video happen at one person.

After this we made the small ring on the suicide ring a bit smaller so it cant fall over the opening and problem was solved.

I have been trying during past years multiple combinations in the field from other people and have seen that it can happen with multiple brands out of the box and sometimes because people use a different brand leash with the bar. More and more brands add something over the opening of the carabiner which also will solve the issue I guess.

Anyway, many solutions possible, movie just shows what happens during that handle pass (we think)
+1
:thumb:

qbanboy14
Rare Poster
Gear: cabrinha and crazy fly
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby qbanboy14 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:12 pm

Zian kiteboarding wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Its an old movie but this is what happens. No force needed at all! Not a bad carabiner perse (although off course there are carabiners that can be locked). Its just that the size of the carabiner icw the size of the ring are a bad combination and the ring twists exactly the carabiner open at the place where it needs the least force.

omg thank god, i thought i wss the only one.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:28 pm

This has happened to me twice since I started listening to kiteforum and attaching my leash to the D-rings on the side of my harness instead of the handlepass tube on the back, which is much thicker. Went back to attaching it in the back and it hasn't popped off since. If it's popping off at the chicken loop side, you could attach your leash around the mainline (full suicide) instead of on the flagging line on the CL.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:46 pm

Wow interesting info Zian. So it's not the leash. It's the size of the figure 8 which is the problem. I thought it was a faulty carabiner, but if it's the figure 8 the leash doesn't matter.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:53 am

Yes, I have had this happen a few times over the years. One solution is to not have 2 hard loops connecting to each other. Put a short soft webbing or rope loop in between the two hard loops and I think this will either be prevented or the risk of this happening will go way down.

Peter

trickcoach
Medium Poster
Style: Unhooked
Gear: Switchkites Legacy

Postby trickcoach » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:40 am

no point in attaching to the ring just go full suicide and you won't have this issue ...

vol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa Spain, Prassonisi Rhodes, Brazil Taiba-Cumbucu-Paracuru
Style: hydrofoil, bigair, freestyle
Gear: Saul Custom Boards

Postby vol » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:33 am

Solution here
5mm quick link works perfect
Attachments
quick-link.jpg
quick-link.jpg (6.26 KiB) Viewed 879 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”