Favorite Beaches: Bay point sandbar, Cleveland local areas
Style: freestyle
Gear: Bow kite with surf board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sandusky Bay sandbar notice!

Postby Underdogg » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:31 pm

I just want to make a notice for anyone who currently uses the sandbar in Sandusky Bay for kitesurfing or any other boating. In december 2017, a land conservancy purchased the sandbar property and plans to conserve it for small recreational activities, like hiking or birdwatching. They later stated boaters would still be able to boat up to it, as of now, but nothing is final until they get grants from fish and wildlife services and the state. It is unclear what public or boating access would be in the future. I want to be optimistic on this, but I have doubts. So....I just want to warn anyone who goes there frequently. I would be a shame if they took it away from us boaters. :roll:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Sandusky Bay sandbar notice!

Postby Toby » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:35 pm

good luck for keeping access !
Keep us up to date !

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:13 am

Underdogg wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:31 pm
I just want to make a notice for anyone who currently uses the sandbar in Sandusky Bay for kitesurfing or any other boating. In december 2017, a land conservancy purchased the sandbar property and plans to conserve it for small recreational activities, like hiking or birdwatching. They later stated boaters would still be able to boat up to it, as of now, but nothing is final until they get grants from fish and wildlife services and the state. It is unclear what public or boating access would be in the future. I want to be optimistic on this, but I have doubts. So....I just want to warn anyone who goes there frequently. I would be a shame if they took it away from us boaters. :roll:
Who did they buy it from? State, private sale...? Is it the sand point northwest of cedar point across the channel? Is this where the barge party has been held in the past?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:12 am

https://www.wrlandconservancy.org/artic ... t-sandbar/

The state of ohio bought it from the marina next door. We will probably still be able to kite there, remember there won't be any tourists going to the park (no path to get there and the marina costs hundreds of dollars per year no other way to get to the sandbar other than well Ohio kiters know how to get there) just conservation agents, and they probably won't mind as there are no breeding ground for endangered species at the sandbar. The prevailing wind in the northern hemisphere is SW and for people that live around Cleveland kind of sucks in that S is offshore except for the sandbar. For Michiganders, we have hundreds of spots that are good on a S, so it's pretty rare for me to go the sandbar it's gusty and offshore, you have to be careful you're not blown to Canada lol. When birders and kiters mix it can be a bad deal as the birders will fight to make us be completely gone, but there's no way for a birder to get to the sandbar so I think we will be ok. I don't see any way that they are going to be able to build a path from the marina out to the sandbar because well, the marina would not let that happen. I don't have a huge stake in the sandbar, there are a hundred spots that are closer and better for me, but it's fun from time to time to kite there so I can see the Cleveland crew throw down.

Underdogg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cleveland beaches, Sandusky bay sandbar

Postby Underdogg » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:52 am

^ The state did not buy it, a non profit conservation group did. They did say eventually that boaters would still be able to use it. Technically, the main access is by boat anyway. The only other traffic is from wading from Bay point resort north of it. Other than kiting, my friends and I paddle to it just to use the beach for the day. Most people are there by boat, And most of the "bird" people would just pull up in their boats anyway, like a weekday in summer/fall.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:14 am

thanks underdogg! I thought this "Western Reserve Land Conservancy" was the state didnt know it was a non profit.

Underdogg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cleveland beaches, Sandusky bay sandbar

Postby Underdogg » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:03 am

I want to give an update on the sandbar access. According to a few local articles and a few people I have talked to, people will still be able to access it like before. The land conservancy stated they are still working out plans for it, but I am still unsure of the details. What I heard is that people really need to keep it clean and show respect for it. Some people will litter, but most carry their trash back with them. I and a few others have been going there to clean it on random days. For the most part, it is pretty clean. Just a heads up.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:07 am

Good to hear.

Cannot understand people who litter...what a lack of education.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:32 am

The sand bar is the location of the Sandusky Barge Party, I went there one time on a friends boat. I will include a youtube video and you can find lots of pictures and videos, some are entertaining. They have had some problems with litter during the barge party and many other times. They are not planning on any bans of kiteboarding and it may confuse people why won't they just come out and say that they will never ban kites. I think it you see the video or some images of the partying, you might understand what they are after. Best thing is to be respectful guests, we are not entitled to access but if we behave ourselves, they won't ever have a reason to ban kites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_eFdzO4oKQ

Return to “Kitesurfing”