Gear: Eleveight FS09 / FS12 / RS 14 / CS bar
Zephyr Ozone 17
Xenon Infra 136
Ronix Boots
Mystic X
Brand Affiliation: None

Cumberland Island GA

Postby bmcfiv » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 pm

18 miles of uninhabited beach on the east coast. Trying to find anyone who has kitesurfed there and can provide some guidance. Here are my thoughts. Thx

1) Jetties - North side, wind from S to NE with outgoing tide on could provide some flat water

2) Stafford shoals - some waves break 200 yards+, could provide some coverage from open ocean chaos

3) Christmas Creek - all sorts of options... but major shark mating ground and gators

4) North end - would need to cross Xmas Creek to get there, but could be incredible

IBaKiteboarder
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach (thus "IB"aKiteboarder), Bogue Sound, all in NC
Style: Upright
Gear: Slingshot Rally 9, 12, Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cumberland Island GA

Postby IBaKiteboarder » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:54 pm

Looks nice, but how would you get out to it? Even with a boat capable of handling the open ocean in windy conditions it doesn't look like there's a great place to anchor or tie up. Also, just curious, how do you know that Christmas Creek is a sharking mating area?

BTW, I kite in NC and there are a lot of great looking inlet areas and beaches here too. I have a small skiff and plan to venture out more on the intracoastal to ride them.

Be careful of strong currents.

Return to “Kitesurfing”