Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Beastmount breakage, your opinions?

Postby Bill C » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:47 pm

flying doctor wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:50 am
Bill C wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 am
I had the same issue with the Beastmount V1. Ditched it for the U.Go linemount and now I sell them. I place it at various locations on my center lines...no problem. Check out https://www.ugokiteboardingwest.com/
Interesting product; is it flexible? Hard to tell from the video. Also: when inserting the rods aren't there any issues with sand?
In the video it says to "install the support 85 to 135cm from the vertex" so that is the official maximum from the split point?
The U.Go linemount is made from ABS plastic. It flexes at the base of the mount around I/2 centimeter.

Keep sand out of the channels by rinsing. I kite 98% of the time off a beach with blowing sand and I sanded the sides of the insert rods slightly so they compensate for the sand. Made it simple for me so I don't have to be so thorough.

I often install my linemount greater than 300cm beyond the split point. I use Ozone and Switch C4X bars with the low 'V'. I have kited with the linemount pushed way up where the center lines are pinched together. There's a point where its simpler to mount the camera on the kite because you are filming seascape anyway.

I have a lot of confidence in the 'arc' design. I've had other linemounts which will go unnamed that have protruding connection points at the top of the mount and get hung up on steering lines. I've had to vigorously shake steering lines in order to free them from the linemount. Not so with U.Go. Nothing like throwing your kite into a loop because a steering line is hung up on the linemount.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Bill C wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:47 pm
flying doctor wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:50 am
Bill C wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 am
I had the same issue with the Beastmount V1. Ditched it for the U.Go linemount and now I sell them. I place it at various locations on my center lines...no problem. Check out https://www.ugokiteboardingwest.com/
Interesting product; is it flexible? Hard to tell from the video. Also: when inserting the rods aren't there any issues with sand?
In the video it says to "install the support 85 to 135cm from the vertex" so that is the official maximum from the split point?
The U.Go linemount is made from ABS plastic. It flexes at the base of the mount around I/2 centimeter.

Keep sand out of the channels by rinsing. I kite 98% of the time off a beach with blowing sand and I sanded the sides of the insert rods slightly so they compensate for the sand. Made it simple for me so I don't have to be so thorough.

I often install my linemount greater than 300cm beyond the split point. I use Ozone and Switch C4X bars with the low 'V'. I have kited with the linemount pushed way up where the center lines are pinched together. There's a point where its simpler to mount the camera on the kite because you are filming seascape anyway.

I have a lot of confidence in the 'arc' design. I've had other linemounts which will go unnamed that have protruding connection points at the top of the mount and get hung up on steering lines. I've had to vigorously shake steering lines in order to free them from the linemount. Not so with U.Go. Nothing like throwing your kite into a loop because a steering line is hung up on the linemount.
Thanks for the info Bill!
Found a retailer in Germany so one is coming my way...

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm

What's the setup time like with the u.go? This is the biggest reason I very rarely use my camrig (besides the kitemares I've had with it), it just takes too long to detach all the rubber pieces and stick them back in, kind of a pain in the ass when the adrenaline is pumping and you just want to get on the water. Shame because it's such a good perspective.

Bill C
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill C » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:53 pm

dylan* wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm
What's the setup time like with the u.go? This is the biggest reason I very rarely use my camrig (besides the kitemares I've had with it), it just takes too long to detach all the rubber pieces and stick them back in, kind of a pain in the ass when the adrenaline is pumping and you just want to get on the water. Shame because it's such a good perspective.
Watch this video. https://youtu.be/Cq2ly4uGdpQ

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:46 am

Bill C wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:53 pm
dylan* wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm
Watch this video. https://youtu.be/Cq2ly4uGdpQ
Thanks for the link. That looks pretty quick assuming it's as easy as the animation shows.

FranciscoCP
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Bela Vista, Nova Vaga, Fonte da Telha, Alvor.
Gear: Slingshot SST v6 12m
Slingshot SST 2019 9m
Slingshot Wave SST 2016 6 m
Slingshot The Sentry v1.1
Eleveight Curl Pro 5'10''
HB Bonaparte 5'7''
Dakine C-1
Has thanked: 0

Postby FranciscoCP » Tue May 29, 2018 9:03 am

I bought a Beastmount V2, used it yesterday for the first time, and after 8 minutes of my session, the thing was broke!

I am very dissapointed, and have emailed the shop complaining on the quality of this product, asking them to consult with Beastmount as to how they want to apporach this.

I think it is disonest to be selling crap products...

just my 2 cents

Francisco

fedecossu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Porto Botte, Italy
Style: Freeride / Freestyle / Wave
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby fedecossu » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:04 pm

My Beastmount broke the third time I used it. It was mounted low on the lines. I wasn't even in the water, I had just launched my kite and it broke when the kite was at 12.
Beastmount_01.jpg
Beastmount_02.jpg
Beastmount_03.JPG
After examining the broken pieces it seems clear that these mounts break easily because of the choice of using a hollow plastic, which makes them lighter but not very durable.

I contacted Beastmount to ask for a replacement under warranty, but it seems that these guys would never admit that their product is faulty and they always blame the customer. They told me that the mount broke on a spot that can only break when used the wrong way and they said that I probably mounted it too high on the lines. I believe I mounted it low enough but there was no way to convince them. Someone should take legal action against this company as they don't comply with warranty issues.

I've also found other people on Amazon that broke it (read their reviews).

I asked Beastmount if I could buy a replacement part (I just needed the horizontal pieace) but they don't sell separate parts. Another reason to avoid buying this product.
Eventually I replaced the broken part with a piece of wood:
Beastmount_04.JPG
These users thanked the author fedecossu for the post:
Drifter136 (Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:24 am)
Rating: 3.03%

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:09 pm

Hard to tell but looks like it is printed on the wrong axis to really make it strong. On top of that it is not a solid print. I would not trust it the way they are printing it myself. I have a 39 printer and you have to print certain ways to for strength on some things. The difference between a vertical print and a horizontal can really change the strength.

Drifter136
Rare Poster
Gear: Liquid force
Been thanked: 0

Postby Drifter136 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:25 am

fedecossu wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:04 pm
My Beastmount broke the third time I used it. It was mounted low on the lines. I wasn't even in the water, I had just launched my kite and it broke when the kite was at 12.

Beastmount_01.jpg
Beastmount_02.jpg
Beastmount_03.JPG

After examining the broken pieces it seems clear that these mounts break easily because of the choice of using a hollow plastic, which makes them lighter but not very durable.

I contacted Beastmount to ask for a replacement under warranty, but it seems that these guys would never admit that their product is faulty and they always blame the customer. They told me that the mount broke on a spot that can only break when used the wrong way and they said that I probably mounted it too high on the lines. I believe I mounted it low enough but there was no way to convince them. Someone should take legal action against this company as they don't comply with warranty issues.

I've also found other people on Amazon that broke it (read their reviews).

I asked Beastmount if I could buy a replacement part (I just needed the horizontal pieace) but they don't sell separate parts. Another reason to avoid buying this product.
Eventually I replaced the broken part with a piece of wood:

Beastmount_04.JPG
This just happened to me! How is the wood holding up?

fedecossu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Porto Botte, Italy
Style: Freeride / Freestyle / Wave
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby fedecossu » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:29 am

Drifter136 wrote: This just happened to me! How is the wood holding up?
I haven't had a chance to try it yet

Return to “Kitesurfing”