Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which 2018 North Kite should I buy??

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which 2018 North Kite should I buy??

Postby iriejohn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Teabageppo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:35 am

Hence why the majority of SB only riders are kooks who couldn’t quite cut the demands of a TT...
Riiiiiight ...

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Teabageppo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:35 am
So saying one form is the ultimate is ultimately erroneous and just a personalised opinion... again.

Hence why the majority of SB only riders are kooks who couldn’t quite cut the demands of a TT... and then claim it’s all too boring and easy.

Do and try it all... it’s all zen.
I agree saying any style is better than another is just plain wrong. Your argument would be better stated if you didn't call most SB riders kooks, which is obviously sarcasm.

The problem with big air, is well, at some point, you really need big air, aka more wind. And that can be a precious commodity.

So I look around at the surf boards, strapless freestyle, foils are advancing light wind options. I see we are all getting a bit older. I'm seeing some new faces on the water, a lot of them being older, after all, kitesurfing is not a cheap sport. I also see some of the new groms, a lot of whom seem to be drawn to strapless. The new devices that measure how high you jump are real cool. A nice addition to the sport.

I look at that, and what the new Evo is, and I think North nailed where the mainstream of the sport is. I can only speak to the Neo, Evo, and Mono (2017) but if you goto the North website, I think North did a very good job of comparing the relative differences in their kites.

https://www.northkiteboarding.com/products/kites/

I can't speak to the 2017 Evo, I never tried it but I have flown 5 strut rigid kites with TT and done the whole big air thing. The Evo is a different feel. I can understand that is a disappointment to you.

However, it does appear to be capable of some pretty high jumps.

https://www.facebook.com/90899356580105 ... 1566/?rc=p

As to the original question, which North kite to buy, Evo or Neo? I'd lean toward the Evo but they are both great kites. I was on the 9meter Friday and was very pleased on how the Evo worked in the all too seldom waves. What's more, I think the Evo is a bit better at getting you back up wind and the lighter bar feel is easier on your body and allows you to kite longer.

The Neo's strength is its very consistent turning pull through a turn even with a bit of depower in the bar. And I think some will prefer the bar and overall feel of the Neo.

But again, remember, there are 4 tuning options on the Neo and 3 on the Evo.

Anyway, it is all good, however you get your zen.

tight lines
27655407_10214491325064598_5927349056038814316_n.jpg

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Teabageppo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:08 am

I’ve heard the same arguments over the years.

Bottom line is I can do what most can do on a SB but I reckon most of you couldn’t do what I do on a TT. Cause riding a SB on a wave is the simplest form of kiting possible. We were doing that crap back in 2000 on sbs.

Hey you SB riders keep thinking ya special. Sells more
Kites and companies adjust accordingly it seems.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:41 am

Teabageppo wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:08 am
I’ve heard the same arguments over the years.

Bottom line is I can do what most can do on a SB but I reckon most of you couldn’t do what I do on a TT. Cause riding a SB on a wave is the simplest form of kiting possible. We were doing that crap back in 2000 on sbs.

Hey you SB riders keep thinking ya special. Sells more
Kites and companies adjust accordingly it seems.
Simplest form of kiting is TT, that is why the majority rides them and why whoever starts kiteboarding now days starts with that kind of board.

Some moves are possible with TT that are not possible with SB and vice versa but generally speaking moves that can be done with both are much harder to perform on a SB especially strapless. SB progression is slower that TT.

Most SB riders have moved away from TT after riding them for years (for various reasons), never heard of anyone moving from SB back to TT...

But all of that does not really matter, unless it is all about you :D

Idrinksaltwater
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Surfers Pt. Ventura
Favorite Beaches: Cabo de la Vela
Gear: Mostly gear for kiting, some times crocheting
Been thanked: 0

Postby Idrinksaltwater » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 am

Hey purdyd, is that beautiful pic c-st?

esebrani
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Las Burras, La punta, playa de Vargas, lagaoset
Favorite Beaches: La punta, playa de Vargas
Style: freestyle
Gear: North Dice.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby esebrani » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:41 am

You should try the different models. Its like cars, some love a model some hate it. I drive the 2018 Dice, I like it because the quick turning. I loop my 10 in a split second with no or very little pull....

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:55 am

Each to his own is what I say. But personal experience says that the basic skills for strapless surfboard riding are a lot more difficult than the basic TT skills.

Return to “Kitesurfing”