Forum for kitesurfers
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

How to jump on Sonic? Or any foil?

Postby downunder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:33 am

My 3rd ride on Sonic!

For the life of me, I have no idea how would anyone jump on the race foil kite!?

If I think of Sonic as 2 sizes down from a lei, would be preety powered on 20kn with 9m Sonic. But wasnt. On a TT.

Hence, could not jump at all. How do I figure the backstall point and do not go over that on my bar? Do I use some sort of stopper not to oversheet?

So, how to do it?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: How to jump on Sonic? Or any foil?

Postby jakemoore » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:49 am

1) Tune the bar so it just starts to backstall when it is pulled all the way to the chicken loop.

2) Ride fast! Power comes from speed. Not too much edging except at the last second or you will drive the kite to the edge of the window and kill it. Ideally a beam reach with the bar out half way going as fast as you can.

3) Send the kite past e.g. to 11 but not much further. It may help to sheet in momentarily to initiate a strong turn to zenith but sheet out as the kite goes to zenith to maintain airspeed.
As you release the edge sheet in all the way for max power at liftoff. Then depower about 5 cm as the kite will backstall soon.

4) Enjoy the view. Redirect early.
Last edited by jakemoore on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:06 am

Thanks!

I have a huge depower for my Edges, and using the same bar. Looks like need the second bar with small throw?

It would not be possible to set the bar to backstall with such a long throw...how much throw do u have?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:04 am

Harder to feel the stall point on a foil kite. If you can memorize where it is you could use your bar as is.

Pigtails on the rear lines may be an option.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:06 am

The big difference between lei and foil is that an lei needs some bar in for good jumps, foil wants the bar out. Most common problem lei flyers have is choking the kite and stalling it.

Let the bar out and let the kite breath.

Charge full pace with bar out, send the kite, load and pop, bar in when you are popping. Don't send the kite back as far as you would the edge, take it to just past 12.
Almost immediately once you have sent set a lazy redirect, let the bar all the way out when you are at max height, Keep the bar out as the kite flies across the zenith. Keep the bar out on the way down. Then when you are 1 to 2 meters from landing, hard redirect and bar all the way in. If you follow that process yourl do a monster jump, glide through the air and land buttery smooth.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:42 am

Let the kite fly. Don't kill it with too much edgeing!
It sounds like your bakelines are too short...
Try to pull the adjuster a little bit...

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Cheers guys!

Pitty did not have it today, was about right wind.

D.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:03 pm

downunder wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:06 am
Thanks!

I have a huge depower for my Edges, and using the same bar. Looks like need the second bar with small throw?

It would not be possible to set the bar to backstall with such a long throw...how much throw do u have?
this sounds a bit backward to me... longer throw = more depower, not more room to stall the kite. agree with the other guy, sounds like your rear lines are too short. check your tuning and see, they should be equal length with the bar fully powered up and sheeted all the way in (or some people like to tune it an inch or two away from fully sheeted in)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:59 pm

True - you want huge throw, to be able to depower and use the full range of these kites.

But as others have said, you are choking the kite, thats quite evident, so pull the adjuster or add some pigtails on the rear lines at the kite.

Also, because you are riding at the "choking point" or over it, but also in general, you will not experience any depower when you push out - as the kite will accelerate and give you a lot more power now, till it eventually drop the power fully when at the edge (unless you ride fast).
A VERY different way than used to - but when you learn, you will find foilkites to have a huge windrange compared to LEIs, upper end is exceptional especially at low speeds, low end is a lot better when you let the kite fly, a win win :thumb:

8) Peter

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:31 pm

9m race foil has a short chord, so it is easy to choke by oversheeting. I don't like backstall, so I adjust my kites to not to backstall when bar is sheeted in. This depends also wind strength, in higher wind kite is not as prone to backstall (even when front lines are stretching a bit).

9m race kite does not need big bar throw.

In light winds no-backstall setup results quite low bar pressure when bar is out, actually this lack of feel was one of the reasons I started to use mostly LEI's.

I don't agree plummet's advice to sheet out during the flight at all. Or is there extremely tight back lines used? With my adjustment sheeting out would result loss of lift and kite surging forward and trying to pull me to the faceplant position during the flight. I've experienced that (due to steering error)couple of times 10-20 ft above hard ice and they have been one of the most unpleasant moments I've ever had with kites.

I'm not sure if foil kites have higher upper end than LEI's, even though some of them are very good in that respect. In practice LEI's are more reliable and easier to control, so if wind is very high and gusty I go with 4m to 7m LEI. For some reason I've not seen much foil kite users then around 8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”