Style: free ride
Gear: slingshot, RRD,
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Zealand Late March-mid April

Postby dcianci179 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:45 am

Hi all
Which spots in New Zealand should I be looking at hitting for this time period. What wetsuit is recommended this time of year? I will need to rent a board(s). Ideas on where to do this in NZ? I'll be kiting in Tazmania and Austrailian before this...any info greatly appreciated!
Damon
California kiter

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: New Zealand Late March-mid April

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:22 am

A 3/2 full suit.

You need to be prepared to move to the spots that are on using windguru 4-5 days previous.. camper van... Wind flicks between sSW and ne!

If no wind and Westerly flow go to raglan and go out after high tide.. the current is so strong and it gets a sea breeze when sunny. Careful there though.. ask a local about the current. Enjoy.. sooo many good spots but it's not like other places with one key spot the weather is too variable.. take all sized kites.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Zealand Late March-mid April

Postby plummet » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:20 pm

March/april is the worst time of the year to visit nz i recon. The summer sea breezes are all got and the winter storms havent yet rolled into town. wind this time of year comes from funky directions.

That said there will be wind if your lucky there' be the tail end of a tropical cyclone to take advantage off.

As LWC states get a camper and be prepared to hunt the wind down. nz is small wind is usually on an hour or 3 away at best.

West coast is typically best for waves and gnarly conditions. East coast lighter winds more estuaries and flatter water.

Return to “Kitesurfing”