Help me understand Cape Town wind on the basis of this Windguru forecast

Forum for kitesurfers
Hpr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Re: Help me understand Cape Town wind on the basis of this Windguru forecast

Postby Hpr » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:12 am

I think he meant in terms of parking. Now and then cars get broken into and even the cars get stolen once in a while, but it is more a problem at the remote spots between Blouberg and Melkbos.
Check here details on shuttle. You have to buy a tag and load it with money: https://www.dwb.surf/
Between Kommetjie and Misty cliffs
Attachments
Witsand.PNG

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby BernieTomic1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Gear is packed, and I found place for a 15. Probably will carry it across the globe and not use it, but the possibility is there.

If I walk to the beach, can I leave my pump while being out, or is that a high risk item too?

If I kite until 19.30, and then walk home a few 100 m in Sunset beach in the dark, is that considered dangerous, or rather not at all?
Same thing at Kite beach, is it a problem to get to the car after dark?

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:57 pm

BernieTomic1 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:29 pm
Gear is packed, and I found place for a 15. Probably will carry it across the globe and not use it, but the possibility is there.

If I walk to the beach, can I leave my pump while being out, or is that a high risk item too?

If I kite until 19.30, and then walk home a few 100 m in Sunset beach in the dark, is that considered dangerous, or rather not at all?
I'm at dolphin beach right now. 7pm.
Windguru says 14-12kn, gusting up to 19.
My windmeter says 20kn gusting up to 24.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Dolphin beach has a security guard at the parking area. And only gets dark around 8

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:18 pm

BernieTomic1 wrote:

No problems at all walking back to the hotels in the dark or to the car :thumb:

Leaving a pump and kitebag on the beach all along this stretch Sunset-Dolphins-Tableview (kitebeach), we havent had any issues - but have heard talk about some who got it nicked, but quite rare I would think since we havent encountered this...
Also lots of other kiters all over, so put the bag and pump where the others are, then it is even more secure.

So you can take this chance, and it will be easy to buy a new pump anyways, many shops :D

But dont kite alone down there is my advice !!!
At least not between 18 and 20 when sun is about to set - IF something happens out there, the wind is sideshore, and very often a tad off - so you will not get ashore very fast if a bit out, and noone can see you when darker so no help in any way.

Always talk to some of the others at the beach you can see are going out at the same time, and make a deal to watch out for each other beforehand and make sure everyone has come ashore finally, especially if out late.
I know it can be difficult to do anything anyways yes, but if noone even KNOWS you are missing, there is no chance....

When parking, always park where there is locals watching your car (they are all over the place in the daytime at the surfspots), and pay them well - it is a good extremely small thing for you, and they will look after your car.
Especially in the evening it is risky.
Avoid non supervised alleys and similar parking places, here cars often get "visitors" if you do that...

8) Peter

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD

Postby BernieTomic1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:18 pm
BernieTomic1 wrote:

No problems at all walking back to the hotels in the dark or to the car :thumb:

Leaving a pump and kitebag on the beach all along this stretch Sunset-Dolphins-Tableview (kitebeach), we havent had any issues - but have heard talk about some who got it nicked, but quite rare I would think since we havent encountered this...
Also lots of other kiters all over, so put the bag and pump where the others are, then it is even more secure.

So you can take this chance, and it will be easy to buy a new pump anyways, many shops :D

But dont kite alone down there is my advice !!!
At least not between 18 and 20 when sun is about to set - IF something happens out there, the wind is sideshore, and very often a tad off - so you will not get ashore very fast if a bit out, and noone can see you when darker so no help in any way.

Always talk to some of the others at the beach you can see are going out at the same time, and make a deal to watch out for each other beforehand and make sure everyone has come ashore finally, especially if out late.
I know it can be difficult to do anything anyways yes, but if noone even KNOWS you are missing, there is no chance....

8) Peter
Thanks, great tips all around! Most of my kiting is going to be in a group, but if I go out alone, I will make sure to join up with others on the beach.

Very reassuring to read your view on safety btw. It might make a difference if walking alone or in a group though?

Rynhardt, you are local, aren't you? Would be awesome to go out together.
The wind seems to be comparable tomorrow. I was thinking 6m, but if it is

20 knots, that could be perfect for the 10.
Do you typically give car guards money, or do you differentiate between official guards and random people acting as guards? How much should I give?

I am in Istanbul now, so well on the way. :-)

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:13 am

Not really a local local. I live inland.
Giving money to the car guards is optional but it helps to build goodwill. Around R10 is fine.
PM and let's see if we can meet.

mopman365
Frequent Poster
Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional
Has thanked: 0

Postby mopman365 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:05 pm

All this talk of TView made me want to kite there for a change, so I took the drive yesterday. But was it CROWDED! Forgot how busy this spot gets.

Most guys were on 9s up until 7pm when it picked up quite a bit. My second session ended 10 seconds after it started when snapping chicken loop and leash on the first jump. So I missed the best part. Should be stronger this PM.

Have fun guys.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:27 pm

hi Bernie ,post your experience down there

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot
Has thanked: 0

Postby bri7 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:56 pm

Make sure you pay the car park guys in the car park, they are super helpful and friendly. They will have a yellow high viz jacket on. 10Rand is less than 1 Euro so it aint worth scrimping and being tight and creates good will. If you go back to the same car park they'll know you tip well.

Cover other gear in the car when you are out kiting so carry a towel or two so you can cover kit. Don't leave anything in the car overnight.

Turn off data roaming Data in SA is super expensive.

Return to “Kitesurfing”