Ronix Boots
Mystic X
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sand / water / aqua socks to wear inside boots

Postby bmcfiv » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 am

wow... this is excellent.

I agree, socks in boots is a disaster. so the most portable with protection is probably the way to go.

Separately, the Hyperlite and Shredtowns sound excellent, but expensive. Also worried they are too far elevated off the board, but know for sure. My Ronix lines are a nightmare to secure and take forever to lace up sitting on beach.

I'll probably go with the ZTrek or similar for now, then look for some Hyperlites or Shredtowns on eBay at some point.

Thx y'all!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:20 am

Have you looked at these:

https://darkfingloves.com/darkfin-split ... r-bootees/

I use them when I'm on holidays and they make all the difference for protecting your feet. You can still feel the sharp spiked urchins (I'm using this as a generic spiky thing metaphor) but they don't seem to penetrate through and get embedded into your foot.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:01 pm

bmcfiv wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 am
Separately, the Hyperlite and Shredtowns sound excellent, but expensive. Also worried they are too far elevated off the board, but know for sure. My Ronix lines are a nightmare to secure and take forever to lace up sitting on beach.

I'll probably go with the ZTrek or similar for now, then look for some Hyperlites or Shredtowns on eBay at some point.
Thx y'all!
With systems the opposite is true, all that is separating your foot from the deck is the sole of the particular model boot as opposed to the baseplate of a standard binding which tends to be thicker so you have a better feel for what the boards doing. The newer models come with optional foam inserts which I now use as the chop was battering the s**t out of my heels! One downside you may find... if your having difficulties with ronix lace ups then your gonna hate f***ing around with the system ratchets! Little tip, crank the toes up a few notches and leave the main one open before getting in.

With regards to the shredtowns, I don't think their intended to be used for walking on the beach and may not last/invalidate warranty... not sure on this but something to consider. Never heard of Ztrek so cannot comment.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:41 pm

friend of mine has shredtowns when I get a chance I'll take a look at it see if it's durable. It's supposed to be used walking around in gravel and such so . . . .

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:15 pm

slim_charles wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:01 pm
With regards to the shredtowns, I don't think their intended to be used for walking on the beach and may not last/invalidate warranty...
Shredtowns were designed for multi-tower cable parks where once you fall you have to swim to shore and walk back to the starting point over dirt/gravel/rock/asphalt/grass.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster

Postby slim_charles » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:15 pm
slim_charles wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:01 pm
With regards to the shredtowns, I don't think their intended to be used for walking on the beach and may not last/invalidate warranty...
Shredtowns were designed for multi-tower cable parks where once you fall you have to swim to shore and walk back to the starting point over dirt/gravel/rock/asphalt/grass.
Agreed but walking back along nice boardwalks in fresh water is a lot different to shitty beaches in salt water.... I seem to recall way back reading of somebody who had issues with slingshot with regard to this, maybe wrong just thought it was worth mentioning.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 pm

slim_charles
Frequent Poster

Postby slim_charles » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 pm

^^ That's good then, the older models didn't have hard sole liners. Assuming it's the same with the Rads i might have a pair in a years time when the price comes down ;)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Just talked with a friend who has the shredtown boots. he is giving them up. They are almost impossible to put on in the water because of how stiff they are (no different from hyperlite there in difficult for putting on in the water). Secondly while I guess they seem great at the wakepark while kiteboarding, sand gets into the boot for some reason (that's what he says) and it is impossible to get out. So last year was his first and last year using shredtown liners. This year he's going back to regular boots and I guess if you walk on some rebar with your bare feet, you walk on some rebar. As far as I can tell the soles themselves are durable enough. So yeah, maybe give them a try and let us know if you decide on them.

F27Corsair
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hsmpton Roads, VA
Favorite Beaches: None yet
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby F27Corsair » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:13 am

I was in a similar situation as you were. I had tried dive booties and five fingers but everything was too thick. I tried the sockwas and love them. I have used them in boots that are purposely 1/2 size too big for that purpose and they work just fine. I can step on oyster shells and not end up like a bleeding mess and they are thin enough where i get great feel in my normal bindings as well. They are pretty cheap too

Return to “Kitesurfing”