Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Piq, Xensr or Woo?

Forum for kitesurfers
flixern
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Norway
Gear: Cabrinha, Best, Ozone, Liquid Force and RL Variofoil (Kitesyndikat)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Piq, Xensr or Woo?

Postby flixern » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Hello!

I've been thinking about buying an equipment that can measure my jumps. Specifically height and air-time. Should work on both snow and water. Would also be nice if it has GPS-tracking.

So, do I get myself Piq, Xensr or Woo; or do I have other options? Which one gives the most accurate result compared to price? And which one is easiest to use?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Piq, Xensr or Woo?

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:42 pm

I only have experience with PIQ and Xensr.

I liked my Xensr Air a lot but it didn't last. Xensr seem to be moving out of the hardware market - hence their i-watch app. It looks interesting and I'd certainly give it a go if I already had that hardware.. I'd be interested in finding if anyone has seen a Xensr on sale (and in stock) recently in the shops - certainly if you go on their Facebook site there are messages in every announcement asking about warranty claims and replacements which leads me to believe they are short on supply.
Aside from the supply and problematic build quality, the main downside is you can't sync directly from your phone - but need a PC to sync. You can see top jumps but not a list (which is weird because their watch app shows this data anyway).

PIQ seems good. Plus point is the power bank style charger (multiple charges without plugging into a power socket). Others have had problems with the waterproof case but I have managed nearly 12 months without issues with mine. PIQ claim the unit is waterproof in the event it does leak but its not something I'd care to test (from memory the unfortunate guy on here did manage to get it working again after 2 soakings).
I like the display although it definitely works best in dull rather than bright sunlight (its not the LED, its the water drops that gather on the case that make it tricky to see).
The local North stockist was mentioning a rumour about the addition of GPS to it but I haven't heard any rumours in the 9 months since so I'm skeptical. GPS tracking would be a feature I'd pay to upgrade to get.

Don't know about Woo. They seem popular though. Only downside is possibly the huge global following. With Xensr or PIQ you can get pretty high in the daily standings with pretty modest jumps so it strokes your ego a bit.

Personally, I'd get whatever your mates have. I was lucky enough to be the first to jump so my friends followed me. You'll always have suspicion about heights between one device and another if you are trying to compare between brands.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:42 pm

I have personal experience with Woo and the Xsenr Sessions app on Apple Watch. While the Woo software is more polished and the social following is larger, for my money the Apple Watch wins hands down. The watch just does so much more beyond measuring jumps, and it has GPS tracking. Woo literally just measures jumps.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:13 am

Sun wrote: The watch just does so much more beyond measuring jumps, and it has GPS tracking.
This comes from official Apple support page (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000):
"Apple Watch Series 2 and Apple Watch Series 3 shouldn't be used for scuba diving, water skiing, or other activities involving high velocity water or submersion below shallow depth. "

So a few crashes and the watch may give up being so water resistant..
Not sure why Xensr decided to bet on it..

VB705
Rare Poster
Local Beach: VA/NC
Gear: Best, Slingshot, BRM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby VB705 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 am

So far my Apple Watch with Catalyst waterproof case has been problem free. The gps data and session time is mainly what I use it for.
Would definitely like to compare woo and Xensr at the same time.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:58 am

Sun wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:42 pm
I have personal experience with Woo and the Xsenr Sessions app on Apple Watch. While the Woo software is more polished and the social following is larger, for my money the Apple Watch wins hands down. The watch just does so much more beyond measuring jumps, and it has GPS tracking. Woo literally just measures jumps.

Actually the new WOO also calculates rotation and freestyle data .....

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:19 am

flixern wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:52 pm
Hello!

I've been thinking about buying an equipment that can measure my jumps. Specifically height and air-time. Should work on both snow and water. Would also be nice if it has GPS-tracking.

So, do I get myself Piq, Xensr or Woo; or do I have other options? Which one gives the most accurate result compared to price? And which one is easiest to use?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)
This is your 4th post? ;)

And you're thinking to 'measure' your jumps? I'm not being a 'downer' but for ~$300 invest in more time on kiting, and not 'gadgeting'.

The reason being is that I rarely check my height any more, it's like 'yeah whatever it says' after the sesh. The added value is actually low, once you pass the initial purchase excitement. Yes, I see my mates scores, but whatever, it means nothing because it does not say anything about:

STYLE

I do not think it will improve your jumping abilities either. Others might disagree..

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:43 am

I have Xensr but no Apple watch and Woo. Xensr shows you jump height, speed, Gforce and GPS data. Basically a map that shows you what happened where. It's nice for downwinders as well. Like Woo it also has a leaderboard. Woo has two modes, big air and freestyle. Big air mode shows you jump height, airtime and Gforce. Freestyle mode shows you a number of tricks but it's very basic and is biased to "wakestyle" as opposed to "airstyle". The big thing about Woo is the social thing around it. You get to see all your friends jumps as well, you get scoreboards for every place, per day, per month etc. There's this whole discussion about how accurate or not they are but I know that especialy Woo must have improved my jumping a lot. Unfortunately few people use freestyle mode and where I wouldn't really bother with jumps in less than 18 knots before, I will now..

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 am

^
Did Woo improved you? Really? How? Since you don't own one :)

That's like saying measuring a jump for a ski jumpers improved the jumping abilities ( still Olympic games?)

This is nothing personal, I'm just interested....

Eckhardt
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ijmuiden, wijk aan zee
Style: Big air and rookie waverider
Gear: Ozone edge 11 and 8
Bandit S 9m

Postby Eckhardt » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:45 am

I think it did downunder. I bought à PIQ when i was kiting for five months. Not jumping over 1 meter. But the direct feedback gave me Some understanding wat worked and what didnt. Within two months I jumped in the 6 meters and now not more then another 8 months later I jumped over 11meters. I Am most sure that THE direct feedback and the joy of seeing progression helped achieving that goal of me first kiteloops at 10m+

Return to “Kitesurfing”