Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Re: best foil kite for gusty conditions

Postby kitejumping » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:49 pm

Pump me up wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 am
The QUESTION is the problem
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirma ... prov=sfti1

There is NO “best foil kite for gusty conditions!” Foil kites, aka “ram airs,” are aerodynamically INFERIOR compared to inflatables, particularly in gusts. Please let me know if you’d like details.

Cheers,
:pump:

I would like more details. :lol:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:53 pm

I got what I wanted out of this thread. Feel free to go off topic.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 pm

The smaller Flysurfer Sonics work really well in gusty conditions. For any foil kite, launches can be a little tricky until the kite has internal pressure. I personally choose to fly LEI's wave kites in really strong gusty conditions if only because I find my focus and riding is more about the swells vs aggressive upwind kiting.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:10 pm

I kite some stupid Conditions both on want and land. Not snow however. My preference in super Gusty is lei first, then closed cell depower foil then open cell foil.

Lei's have the widest range and biggest gust absorbing capability. Plus you can completely slack line them, run directly at them on purpose, watch em fall out of the sky then zing upwind, retention the lines and whammo your still riding. but lei's fall out of the sky easier in ultralight winds and are damaged heaps easier on the land. A foil is likely to crumple and crash out in that instance.

The closed sell will float\drift longer before it collapses or wine glasses. So it can handle more flukey winds than the open cell. Landing a closed sell foil in nuking wind is a bitch however.

Billie mentions a venom. Arc kites are indeed Gusty absorbing machines. But they are a complete arse to launch in light winds plus they don't handle slack lining very well. Also they are big slow kites for the same power output. Technology has moved on since the days of the venom. That said there are more modern arcs that are closer in performance to today's kites.

When I was kite buggying in the dunes amid some flukey assed winds including wind shadows turbulent rotor and shifting directions. First gone is the fixed bridle open cell, then the open cell depower, then the arcs then the closed cell foil. Usually the lei is the last man standing .......

But there is one group of kites not yet discussed. That is the single skin foils like the fs peak. The single skins are so incredibly light and have some curiously good stupid Gusty winds capability. I haven't spent much time on them myself. But not their performance when others have been using them in crazy assed conditions.

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:13 pm

foilonfoil wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 pm
The smaller Flysurfer Sonics work really well in gusty conditions.
A high-aspect foil, really?
(Maybe you meant it's gust-tolerant once you're hauling ass with lots of apparent wind?)
plummet wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:10 pm
The single skins are so incredibly light and have some curiously good stupid Gusty winds capability.
Flew a 6m Peak2 in gusty 10-25kt on ice recently... overpowered on skis, bar-out depower works but shakes the ever-living shit out of the bar due to canopy flutter, not fun. Peak3 and especially Gin Shaman claim to improve on this and look interesting, haven't flown 'em tho.

p.s.- I don't think EDT believes in land-only kites ;)

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:21 pm

Have you tried Ozone Access?

I tried myself Flysurfer Speed 4 lotus, Ozone Chrono 2, Frenzy, and Hyperlink and none of these kites came close to the gust handling of the Access.

Though, don't expect great jumps, hangtime or upwind anlgles. But when it comes to handling gusts Access has no rivals. It's an auto wind window chaser, allowing you not only to handle strong gusts, but also crazy wind shifts.

The only problem I have with the Access is that I always end downwind of where I started.

And you need to be crazy overpowered to jump with it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:26 pm

I've heard about the Access. Definitely going to demo it now thanks! Going upwind on a hydrofoil is not a problem if you know what I mean.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:52 pm

edt wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:26 pm
I've heard about the Access. Definitely going to demo it now thanks! Going upwind on a hydrofoil is not a problem if you know what I mean.
If you are talking iceboard, skateboard, hydrofoil, or other "low resistance media", that changes things a bit. The "Access" is a low end machine for "high resistance medias". Still, it wins out with stability.

When kiting on "low resistance medias" I have found even a fixed bridle kite works well in gusty conditions as you do not need tons of power to get moving, or need tons of power to stay up on plane/maintain momentum. I have the notion that this is the biggest secondary reason why kite buggies stuck with fixed bridal kites for so long, and shetable foils did not take over until more focus in kiting was put on "stand up" sports.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Hey edt,
You may be over this thread but anyhow, I have seen guys use the smaller access kites with reasonable success in some pretty lousy wind conditions. It seems the 6 and 8 are useful tools especially on rowdy survival days. I just can't tolerate foils in junk wind but they will say it's my flying skills. Too often the wind takes a sh*t and you have a foilball on the ground. I religiously use a lightweight tube kite (Envy seems heavy) that I know won't deform, stays in the air as well as anything, and will sit on its tail ready to relaunch at the next puff, off you go. Meanwhile, most foilheads are yanking on a pile. I save foils for subzero and the longest approaches. Good luck !

Return to “Kitesurfing”