Rare Poster
Gear: ocean rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing Greece - Best Locations

Postby kimt_ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi!

I'm going to be spending ~4 weeks kitesurfing in Greece this July.

I am at an intermediate level (in the process of learning to ride upwind) so I would want to be somewhere relatively beginner-friendly. Ideally I would rent gear and pay for a rescue service just in case I get into trouble!

I'm going to be on my own, so I would probably want to stay somewhere with a nightlife/social life so I have things to do after a day of kitesurfing.

Additionally, I am just finishing university so to make it more affordable, I'm hoping to work a few hours a day at a hotel, restaurant or kite shop in exchange for room & board or kite rentals!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Kim

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Re: Kitesurfing Greece - Best Locations

Postby Qiter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Try the islands, Naxos or Paros, in July almost 100% wind, mostly 7 or 9m.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:10 am

Lemnos (Limnos) might also work for you. Was there last year and it seemed a good spot (aside from the launch point which is average at best). They have a boat. They do kit rentals.

They also have an advert on the forums here looking for people to work at the shop. Bonus! (http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2398850)

Only downside is most of the hotels are on the other side of the island so nearby work might not be easy.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 am

kimt_ wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 pm
Hi!

I am at an intermediate level (in the process of learning to ride upwind) so I would want to be somewhere relatively beginner-friendly. Ideally I would rent gear and pay for a rescue service just in case I get into trouble

Thanks!

Kim
If you are learning to go upwind, you are really more a beginner than an intermediate.
Paros can have really strong winds and is quite crowded. Not the best place to learn

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am

kimt_ wrote:
Hi!

I am at an intermediate level (in the process of learning to ride upwind) so I would want to be somewhere relatively beginner-friendly. Ideally I would rent gear and pay for a rescue service just in case I get into trouble!

I'm going to be on my own, so I would probably want to stay somewhere with a nightlife/social life so I have things to do after a day of kitesurfing.

Additionally, I am just finishing university so to make it more affordable, I'm hoping to work a few hours a day at a hotel, restaurant or kite shop in exchange for room & board or kite rentals!

Thanks!

Kim
You are an intermediate level... learning to go up wind? wtf is the next level when you can go up wind? PRO?

This place never ceases to amaze me... why would you need a "beginner friendly" spot if you are an intermediate rider?

Here is my advice. don't try and sugar coat where you are in the grand scheme of learning to kite. We have all had to learn, you will get more help and more respect if you are brutally honest about where you are and what you are trying to learn.

kimt_
Rare Poster

Postby kimt_ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:54 am

Qiter wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 pm
Try the islands, Naxos or Paros, in July almost 100% wind, mostly 7 or 9m.
Thank you! I am currently looking into going to Naxos. Appreciate your reply :)

kimt_
Rare Poster

Postby kimt_ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:56 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:10 am
Lemnos (Limnos) might also work for you. Was there last year and it seemed a good spot (aside from the launch point which is average at best). They have a boat. They do kit rentals.

They also have an advert on the forums here looking for people to work at the shop. Bonus! (http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2398850)

Only downside is most of the hotels are on the other side of the island so nearby work might not be easy.
Good to know, thank you! My only worry with Lemnos is the social aspect, but I will definitely look into it. Thank you for including the link!

kimt_
Rare Poster

Postby kimt_ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:58 am

Clarencephil wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 am
kimt_ wrote:
Hi!

I am at an intermediate level (in the process of learning to ride upwind) so I would want to be somewhere relatively beginner-friendly. Ideally I would rent gear and pay for a rescue service just in case I get into trouble

Thanks!

Kim
If you are learning to go upwind, you are really more a beginner than an intermediate.
Paros can have really strong winds and is quite crowded. Not the best place to learn
Good to know that Paros is crowded and has strong winds. I may avoid this. As mentioned, I am look for a place that is beginner friendly!

kimt_
Rare Poster

Postby kimt_ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:02 am

Laughingman wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 am
kimt_ wrote:
Hi!

Thanks!

Kim
You are an intermediate level... learning to go up wind? wtf is the next level when you can go up wind? PRO?

This place never ceases to amaze me... why would you need a "beginner friendly" spot if you are an intermediate rider?

Here is my advice. don't try and sugar coat where you are in the grand scheme of learning to kite. We have all had to learn, you will get more help and more respect if you are brutally honest about where you are and what you are trying to learn.
Thanks for your input, but this is really beside the point of my question.
I need a beginner friendly spot because I am still learning. I apologize if my use of "intermediate" confused you.

SamPolish
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Isle of WIGHT
Gear: Whatever flys

Postby SamPolish » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:46 pm

I have been to Paros and it is windy, some days reaching 45 knots gusts and a little bit of chop, not bad spot tho, good launch/land, air compressor and showers, lockers are also available.Its very expensive to stay near by the spot, I did rent a scooter and commuted every day. Would gladly go back if time allows.
Anyways I have heard of awesome italian spots down south, glass like flat water, good reliable wind and very beginner friendly. Do some research as It might be very good option for yourself.

Return to “Kitesurfing”