Postby hongchew » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:27 am

vman wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:46 am
hongchew wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:31 pm
Toby wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:13 am
What are their rules ?
I think it involves some lecture on the history of the country, after which my brain shuts off. Don't know, don't care, too many brain cells to waste for subpar winds.
If you don't know and don't care, it goes to show your attitude and respect to the local community and rules isnt it?
Other than widely accepted common sense rules, no I don't check out the rules at every place I have visited. The fact that I don't read Thai, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc, kinda put me in a handicap position too.

I'd venture to guess you haven't done a lot of kiting in other countries.

Stan_FWI
Rare Poster
Gear: North Dice / Jaime 2017
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A friendly warning: don't kite in Singapore

Postby Stan_FWI » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:58 am

Toby wrote:
What are their rules ?
I can't believe my first post on the forum is to respond to such a load of bollocks.

Singapore has pretty much two spots which we try to enjoy during the year.
When the wind comes from the south east, we kite in East Coast Park, which has pretty much no rules.

When the wind comes from the North East (as it is currently), we kite in Changi beach - right below the operating zone of the Changi Airport radar. This spot has been open and stays open because a few guys worked their asses off to get a deal signed with the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) which came with conditions.

1. They had to create an official kitesurfing association
2. The association had to install signage (buoys, etc.) to clearly indicate the authorised kitesurfing zone
3. Every kiter is Changi has to be identified with a tag which has to be worn on their harness at ALL TIMES
4. Respect the rules

That's it.
The association has asked kiters to pledge S$50 (i let you convert it to EUR or USD, whichever currency you are using) to cover operating costs and maybe, yes maybe, get themselves a few beers.

There are some cheapskates, probably like OP, who feel paying S$50 is a ripoff (knowing that we like in a country where two beers could cost me this much) and go there to kite without their tag.
The relationship between KAS (Kitesurfing Association of Singapore) and CAAS is fragile and we could potentially lose the spot because some guys like this can't accept it.

so yes the locals, and myself (am expat), are pissed when some dudes come and kite without being members, bust the navigation zone and on top of that go and complain on an international kite forum that Singapore sucks because the locals are not friendly.

If you are not happy, GTFO of the spot. Go kite elsewhere.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 am

I think it is common sense to ask locals about the rules and regulations. It was always a bit demoralizing for us who worked for a spot to see when people just came in to a local beach and didn't give a shit about the rules that were made to keep a spot open.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:58 am

Fair enough to have rules to keep access.

What can be done if someone kites without the tag?

Stan_FWI
Rare Poster
Gear: North Dice / Jaime 2017

Postby Stan_FWI » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:07 am

Singapore being Singapore, there are always officers on patrol in the vicinity and we can signal the "trespassers". Which should normally be fined, etc.
I am not aware of any "action" being taken against an offender thus far.

I screenshot this post into the FB group we have in SG, maybe our committee will sign up and discuss this. I don't have all the details ;-)

Axxis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Point Australia
Style: Crusing
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Axxis » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:04 am

sarc wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:50 am
I heard that wind in Singapore is a sad, cruel joke. Go across the straight to Malaysia where I think you'll find slightly better wind and a more friendly/relaxed crowd. Or go to Vietnam (do a google search)
For the person who posted this thread after angering the local community by not respecting the rules (and laws) of Singapore I think it's great that they don't kite in Singapore any more and instead travel over to Bintan or into Malaysia or Thailand, Vietnam whenever they want to get their fix. Yes, the wind in Singapore isn't great but it is kiteable and people still enjoy the sport here. Pretty much every kiteboarder in Singapore kites regionally if not internationally. But not everyone can afford to travel internationally every weekend and they certainly can't do so after work each day. For the resident kiters having a local spot where they can kite after work and on weekends is important. They have worked hard with the authorities to be able to kite beside one of the busiest airports in the world. If people continue to break the rules the authorities could simply say no kiting at Changi and then there is pretty much nowhere to kite locally from Dec through Feb. When people don't respect the rules and put this at jeopardy they rightly get a little pissed off.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:13 pm

I totally understand and agree.

Are there signs at the beach making people aware of it?

And where to buy a permit if one wants to Kite there??

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:05 pm

Stan_FWI wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:58 am
Toby wrote:
What are their rules ?
I can't believe my first post on the forum is to respond to such a load of bollocks.

Singapore has pretty much two spots which we try to enjoy during the year.
When the wind comes from the south east, we kite in East Coast Park, which has pretty much no rules.

When the wind comes from the North East (as it is currently), we kite in Changi beach - right below the operating zone of the Changi Airport radar. This spot has been open and stays open because a few guys worked their asses off to get a deal signed with the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) which came with conditions.

1. They had to create an official kitesurfing association
2. The association had to install signage (buoys, etc.) to clearly indicate the authorised kitesurfing zone
3. Every kiter is Changi has to be identified with a tag which has to be worn on their harness at ALL TIMES
4. Respect the rules

That's it.
The association has asked kiters to pledge S$50 (i let you convert it to EUR or USD, whichever currency you are using) to cover operating costs and maybe, yes maybe, get themselves a few beers.

There are some cheapskates, probably like OP, who feel paying S$50 is a ripoff (knowing that we like in a country where two beers could cost me this much) and go there to kite without their tag.
The relationship between KAS (Kitesurfing Association of Singapore) and CAAS is fragile and we could potentially lose the spot because some guys like this can't accept it.

so yes the locals, and myself (am expat), are pissed when some dudes come and kite without being members, bust the navigation zone and on top of that go and complain on an international kite forum that Singapore sucks because the locals are not friendly.

If you are not happy, GTFO of the spot. Go kite elsewhere.
Hey why so mad? I'm doing a public service for all: travelers can save themselves potential troubles, and you get to keep your little spots to yourselves.

You're very welcome.

Looks like you've caught the rage bug like many locals, must be something in the water.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:15 pm

hongchew wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:05 pm

Hey why so mad? I'm doing a public service for all: travelers can save themselves potential troubles, and you get to keep your little spots to yourselves.

You're very welcome.

Looks like you've caught the rage bug like many locals, must be something in the water.
That's a normal attitude around the world of locals who need to fight to keep their spot open when travelers come uninformed and kite in forbidden areas putting the access at risk.
If you try to inform yourself of the local rules and stick to them the locals are usually your best friends, don't fight them!

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:13 pm
I totally understand and agree.

Are there signs at the beach making people aware of it?

And where to buy a permit if one wants to Kite there??
Simply asking these kinds of questions at their forum would invite snipes, name calling, and outright threats.

"You came to my country, you should know"
"We're not here to answer your stupid questions"
would be the kinder responses.

As my topic goes, best to stay away.

Return to “Kitesurfing”