Forum for kitesurfers
Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart
Been thanked: 0

concerning of nuclear radiation ocean surround from japan

Postby Galeltic » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 pm

i undy that its no good to our health when nuclear radiation ocean from japan to spread out over asia so wonder not good idea for kitesurf there ? what s your view ? thanks :o

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: concerning of nuclear radiation ocean surround from japan

Postby grigorib » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 pm

Galeltic wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 pm
i undy that its no good to our health when nuclear radiation ocean from japan to spread out over asia so wonder not good idea for kitesurf there ? what s your view ? thanks :o
I don't want to discount radiation hazards from accidents but they must be not as significant in light of:
- 500+ open atmosphere nuclear tests in 20'th century with measurable fallout reaching out over continents and open sea
- radiation from coal powerplants dumps onto water reservoirs where we swim, boat and kite

I think Asia is fine to kite.

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Galeltic » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:54 pm

are u sure ?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 am

Pretty sure. The worst fallouts were from nuking the hell out of our own land prior to 1980's. The sea got some too but not as much.
You can thank cold war for all the cancer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_w ... tilang.svg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_w ... ld_map.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_w ... posure.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_w ... erview.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_w ... llout2.png

"As of 1993, worldwide, 520 atmospheric nuclear explosions (including 8 underwater) have been conducted with a total yield of 545 megaton (Mt): 217 Mt from fission and 328 Mt from fusion, while the estimated number of underground nuclear tests conducted in the period from 1957 to 1992 is 1,352 explosions with a total ..."

Lack of drinking water in all of the 3'rd world and having to use bottled water to brush my teeth bugs me more than radiation.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:31 am

Everyone on this planet is exposed to some naturally occuring background radiation every day. About 2.5mSv/year. However, some areas have higher levels (Ramsar Iran at 250mSv/yr :o ) of background and others less, also an individuals activities (frequent mountain climbing, air travel, spaceman) can change this number.

An additional 20mSv/yr is considered an acceptable safe dose for a Nuclear Energy Worker.

At the most recent published maximum dose rates that I could find in the Fukushima area (about .003mSv/hour in exclusion zone, near but NOT at the plant site) measured last April, you would reach 20mSv in about 278 days if you lived there full time during that period. Dose rates in Tokyo and Supporo, or even in other areas of Fukushima prefecture are way lower. Dose rates in Soeul Korea are higher than Tokyo. New York has the same rate as Tokyo. I could be wrong though, the site was in Japanese. 😆

So, depends on how close to Fukushima and for how long. Possibly the direction of wind as well as direction of current could be a factor. Are they coming from the Fukushima area??

I hope this puts this subject into some perspective. Personally, I would not be too concerned about kiting in Asia (or most places for that matter) due to radiation.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:58 am

http://www.world-nuclear.org/informatio ... ident.aspx

I wouldn't worry about it either. If the authorities had any excuse to ban kiteboarding, fishing or anything else fun they would do it in a heart beat.

Of 19,000 people working to clean up the accident at ground zero, 167 were exposed to enough radiation to put them in a category for "possible chromosome damage" but not enough to have radiation sickness or a measurable increased risk of lymphoma and leukemia. 96% of the workers were exposed to less radiation than we would get in a CT scan.

Hopefully we learn and put nuclear reactors and nuclear waste in places that don't have earthquakes. But for me the worry is related to oxidative stress, excess consumption of food, not enough exercise, UV and trauma. And from a world view, drinking water and sanitation are the biggest health improvements we can make.

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Galeltic » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:18 am

no wondering about other countries won't act quickly to help japan of fukushima area where they still stuggle to stop radiation level get abit high level than before so what ashamed of other countries doesn't act quickly to help cleaning so russian are willing help them , soon but i dunno when ? anyway

did u use ph level test at ocean before get jump in and test water before drink than dip there then to be skeleton , ooops ?

tilmann
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: St.Peter-Ording
Style: highspeedcarving
Gear: highspeedcarving board + 7m Slingshot Machine
Brand Affiliation: www.highspeedcarving.com

Postby tilmann » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:01 am

no problem with the right suit :cool2:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:20 pm

I wouldn’t trust official reports.

IMO radiation is given. And I am sure also Hawaii will have higher concentration...if not now, then in the future.

How high and dangerous, I have no idea.

And don’t forget: millions of liters of highest concentration are stored in the rusty tanks...they will leak more and more...and for sure it’s wanted to get rid of it...

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom
Has thanked: 0

Postby LiquidXtasy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:32 pm

It's very bad. And the media makes it look like it's nothing.

With all that radiation leaking into the pacific, and all the currents taking it out to places like Alaska, California, probably even Mexico, i would not be swimming anywhere in the pacific for a long time.

They're finding sharks with these huge tumors bulging out of their skin over there, and nobody wants to do anything about it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”