Forum for kitesurfers
onetime
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Recommendations for a cheap kite?

Postby onetime » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:02 am

I used to kite a lot, mostly Cumbuco, WA, Fuerteventura but haven't got on the water for about 8 years. I now live about 1/2 an hour from the beach (Weymouth area UK) so thought I might pick up some cheap gear on ebay and try out the cold British sea. The question is what to buy, or what not to buy? I have flown trainer kites a few times in the last few years and learned to paraglide so not completely out of touch.

I bought Best Yargas new back in the day when it was buy 2 get one free. I loved those kites but ended up just using a strapless surfboard and never a twintip. The last kite I had was a Wainman Rabbit but I always preferred the direct feel of the C's. I will just be messing around on a regular surfboard, waves if I can find any.
Wants - 4 line, ideally fast and direct but with more depower than the old Yargas. (getting old and soft!)

There's a 2007 Best waroo 9m with Bar/lines that looks barley used, currently £50 on ebay. Anyone flown one of these recently?

Any ideas on sizes for Weymouth ? I was always on the 7 or 9m Yargas but it tended to be quite windy. I'm 80kg, I used to just buy a used surfboard wherever I was rather than transporting the around. Usually 5'9 -5'11 or so. I was probably around 72kg back then though. Should I go bigger with the board now I'm heavier?

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Recommendations for a cheap kite?

Postby sflinux » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:33 pm

I like c-kites too, nothing wrong with them (I still actively fly them: pulleybar, frickenloop, etc). Get another c-kite (2005 or newer) if you can find one. Sizes 7M and 9M are fun.
If you still have your Wainman, make sure you fly them on the single bridle setting (front pigtail closest to tailing edge). I like the Wainmans with the rear (steering) bridle closest to the tailing edge.
If you buy a sle, try to get one that is c-shaped (i.e. delta). If you get a sle, get one with no pulleys on the front bridle.
I was never a fan of the waroo.
Try a BRM Cloud (best sle that I have tried to date). Ride a size smaller than normal. But not cheap.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:05 pm

Waroos or kahoonas or old north evos. 7m 9m and 12m

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:42 pm

welcome back onetime. I had waroos back in the day and loved them. But an old kite is not just about performance upgrades, you may be dealing with glue that is aging and might leak on the first session, dried out/about to crack bladders, bar problems like QR that might not release ... I suggest you instead go to the local shop, ask what one size they can't live without, and either get a close out deal on a kite complete 1 or 2 seasons old, or find something used by a local 1-2 seasons old (so you can pump it up and inspect).

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:16 pm

I had the same kite-life experience as you, kited extensively from 2000-2007 on Fuels, then didn't kite for about 8 years.

Definitely get a 2012 or newer kite, you are going to be super stoked, they have gotten so much better!

Don't get a c-kite, just get a freeride type kite like: Switchblade, Evo, Lithium/Union, etc. The windrange is unreal on these newer kites. You can get one (2012-2013) on ebay for ~$300.

Return to “Kitesurfing”