Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Park/Dash - like kite but not Naish?

Forum for kitesurfers
seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Naish Park/Dash - like kite but not Naish?

Postby seaplus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:34 am

Discovered my "Go-To" 2015 10.5m Draft has a slow leak. Pumped up the kite hard, then pulled the deflate plug. That deflated the LE bladder leaving then struts full. In a minute, an outboard strut went flat. I sprayed soapy water all over that strut but no bubbles...guessing the leak is in it's octopussy.

i love my drafts yet I'm not looking forward to fixing this but I have no choice...can't sell it with a leak and cant find anyone to fix it.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:09 am

I don't think that qualifies as a leak. Those one way valves start being two ways valves pretty soon after the kite is not new anymore.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:50 am

If your Naish octopus 1-way valves aren't keeping the struts inflated after the LE is deflated, there is likely a tiny amount of debris stuck between the black rubber circular disc at the tip of the LE / male octopus valve and the valve body. That debris is preventing the disc from its function of sealing when the strut pressure exceeds that of the LE.

Separate the octopus valve. Gently lift the edges of the black rubber disc, clean its underside and clean the end of the valve end that supports the black disc when the strut is pressurized. Re-assemble, inflate the strut, and with luck, problem solved.

Kemperman
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 78
Style: Big air, freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebel, North Orbit

Postby Kemperman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:26 am

The Naish dah is a nice kite. I would also consider/ test an ocean rodeo razor or cabrinha FX. Pretty similar kites.

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:50 pm

GregK wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:50 am
If your Naish octopus 1-way valves aren't keeping the struts inflated after the LE is deflated, there is likely a tiny amount of debris stuck between the black rubber circular disc at the tip of the LE / male octopus valve and the valve body. That debris is preventing the disc from its function of sealing when the strut pressure exceeds that of the LE.

Separate the octopus valve. Gently lift the edges of the black rubber disc, clean its underside and clean the end of the valve end that supports the black disc when the strut is pressurized. Re-assemble, inflate the strut, and with luck, problem solved.
Yes, that's the right solution.

However, I wouldn't take apart an octopus system that is holding air well, only to fix a one way internal valve.
If all internal valves are doing this, then you may have a safety problem in case your kite deflates during a session as you won't have the kite as floating device. But if you wear a life jacket or ride close to the shore and are a good swimmer, then even that may not be a good reason to take apart the octopus system.

'If it works, don't touch it', some people say.

seaplus
Medium Poster

Postby seaplus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:33 pm

I apologize for wrecking the OPs topic and turning it into a "DIY" octopus thread...

As I stated in the first sentence of my post...my Draft has a slow leak. It's losing air and deflating. I don't know where the leak is coming from.

I pumped up the kite hard and listened and sprayed soapy water around every valve...no noise / no bubbles. I figured I'd take this project
to my garage where there's no wind to take another shot of listening for the leak. When I deflated the leading edge I realized the struts
were still holding air since I hadn't pulled their plugs yet. Figured I could wait this out and see if any struts go limp...sure enough, an outboard
strut went flat in a minute. Bingo...I bet the leak is coming from that strut.

So I guess before I take everything apart...I'll disconnect that strut from the bladder and somehow plug that octopus.
Then pump up the rest of the kite and see if the rest of the kite is good. If so, I'll tear into that outboard strut.

Wish me luck (and any pointers would be appreciated).

Thx - Tim

styleito
Medium Poster
Style: ito
Gear: Too much and not enough

Postby styleito » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:18 pm

GregK wrote:
Naish octopus 1-way valves
I never thought about it before but, If you have a leak in a strut on a Naish kite does it suck the air out of the leading edge?
If so, that's another nail in the coffin for Naish IMO.

seaplus
Medium Poster

Postby seaplus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:48 pm

yep..makes zero sense.
I don't see the benefit of the octopus system...especially if a strut has a leak and takes the rest
of the kite down with it. Dangerous in my opinion. If I were to find myself way offshore, I'd rather
a limp strut than a limp (and going limper) leading edge bladder.

Back to the repair..
I tore into my Draft a few minutes ago and once I wrapped my head around the system, it appears
that it's really not going to be that big of an issue to repair.

Tim

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:43 am

styleito wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:18 pm
GregK wrote:
Naish octopus 1-way valves
I never thought about it before but, If you have a leak in a strut on a Naish kite does it suck the air out of the leading edge?
If so, that's another nail in the coffin for Naish IMO.
Only if all internal valves are faulty and let air go in both ways.
Each strut with a good internal valve will keep the air.

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:53 am

seaplus wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:33 pm

...Figured I could wait this out and see if any struts go limp...sure enough, an outboard
strut went flat in a minute. Bingo...I bet the leak is coming from that strut.
Not necessarily. Again, if that strut bladder inner valve is faulty the strut bladder will deflate when the main bladder is deflated, but will hold the air when the main bladder has pressure.

I assume you don't have any place where to submerge the kite inflated. That's what I do, but I have a pool handy.
If you don't hear a hissing or soapy water bubbles coming out, you can pump the kite and wait.
If only the main bladder deflates, then, oh my, it's the main bladder.
A leaking strut will deflate the main bladder as well, so you will never get only one strut deflated.
If you get one strut plus the main bladder, then aim for that strut.
This will work if all inner valves are ok.
Any faulty inner valve will deflate its strut, even if the strut doesn't really have a leak.

Return to “Kitesurfing”