Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Getting back to kitesurfing - after 8 years break. How about equipment?

Forum for kitesurfers
Andreasjsor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Matanzas
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Matanzas
Cabarete
Gear: Best
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Getting back to kitesurfing - after 8 years break. How about equipment?

Postby Andreasjsor » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Starting to have more spare time and spend more time at the beach so I am thinking about starting kiting again -- last time I was on the water must have been in 2010.

So a few questions:

1) Have kites changed a lot and if yes how? I have Best Waroos must be 2008 models. Size 7 9 11. Do not plan to change them for now, just curious to understand if the difference to a 2018 kite will be massive or marginal

2) Should I replace the lines and bars? I am a bit concerned about safety. The lines and bar seems to be in good shape, they have been stored in a very dry place.

My plan is to go for a few rides and if it is fun, I might upgrade and get a new kite with a new bar and lines.

Thanks

Matteo V

Re: Getting back to kitesurfing - after 8 years break. How about equipment?

Postby Matteo V » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 pm

Lines should be good if still in tune, but if you are at a crowded beach, you need to take that into consideration. If a line breaks and you hurt someone, you may need to take up windsurfing once you get kiting banned there.

Check your release too. If it is a 2010 best RP bar, the releases had issues through 2012. Then some different ones up till 2015 or so - when ever they switched over to the North release.

Air up your kites and make sure the bladders hold air, and don't trust origional bladders for a long tack out in the ocean.

Brush up on your swimming skills. You are a swimmer first, then a kiter.

Andreasjsor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Matanzas
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Matanzas
Cabarete
Gear: Best

Postby Andreasjsor » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:18 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 pm
Lines should be good if still in tune, but if you are at a crowded beach, you need to take that into consideration. If a line breaks and you hurt someone, you may need to take up windsurfing once you get kiting banned there.

Check your release too. If it is a 2010 best RP bar, the releases had issues through 2012. Then some different ones up till 2015 or so - when ever they switched over to the North release.

Air up your kites and make sure the bladders hold air, and don't trust origional bladders for a long tack out in the ocean.

Brush up on your swimming skills. You are a swimmer first, then a kiter.
Thanks. Good advice.

Spent a lot of time swimming last 8 years as I indulged in triathlon so hopefully that should pay off if a bladder blows.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:20 pm

if not used and stored properly your kites and lines should be fine. As said above I would replace the control bar. The old best control bar was a mini-5th and all modern kites now require a single line flagging control bar so you will need a new control bar no matter what when you buy another kite. You can get last year's naish conrtrol bar for about $250 or get last year's Best control bar for relatively cheap. Also, as said above I've never seen that generation of Best control bar work properly in emergency conditions. The real improvements in kites over the past decade have been on the foil kites and the hydrofoils, the inflatables have had just marginal improvement.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:52 am

Andreasjsor wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:56 pm
I have Best Waroos must be 2008 models.
I was just giving lessons to a guy who had 2 old Waroo's. One was terrible, jellyfishing 2007 I think, and the other was OK. So make sure yours are not the ones of the jellyfishing, inverting kind. The bars on both were ancient but I figured we were at a very safe location so, OK. Close to hard objects - thanks but no, thanks.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:38 am

2008 was the best year for Waroo they are good kites and lots of people still use them. Getting a newer safer bar is a good ideas the bar was pretty bad back then in terms of safety. They are not one pump so less likely to leak when aging. The valves are easy and cheap to replace. I still have a 5m 2008 barely used it still looks new and flies great!

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:57 am

Hey,

I would check the valves on bladders and I would probably replace or re-glue them. I have had many valves dry out (Not certain if that is correct terminology) or come unglued (sorta like the glue deteriorated).

Clew In

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:35 am

Good advice above. I still have all my old Waroos as well, and they fly fine, but if I try them after my new Naish Pivots, they do feel clumsy. The Pivots are amazing at everything, while the Waroos were just okay. Depending on what size you use the most, get one and it will work fine with a newer single-flag line Best bar, which is what I use. Just add pigtails to the tails of the kite to overcome their kook proofing.

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Andreasjsor wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:56 pm

1) Have kites changed a lot and if yes how? I have Best Waroos must be 2008 models. Size 7 9 11. Do not plan to change them for now, just curious to understand if the difference to a 2018 kite will be massive or marginal
Yes big gap, just demo a new North, Cab, Ozone, Slingshot, Airush (f-one bandit too!) to feel the difference!
(but I'm not an expert, is just what I read in forums and what all my teachers told me)

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:50 pm

As others have said, the 2008 Waroos should be fine if the bladders and valves are okay. The real question isn't whether you'll NEED to upgrade, but rather whether you'll WANT to upgrade. I think your plan is good. Use your Waroos for a while to determine if you want to get back into the sport. If you do, then demo some new equipment. You'll feel the difference and probably WANT the newer stuff. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”