Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

12m or 14m Slingshot Rally for 200 lbs riders ??

Forum for kitesurfers
AdroVempo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Minnesota: Lake Waconia, Medicine Lake, White Bear Lake.
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, Jamaica, Visakhapatnam (Vizag)
Style: Freeride
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

12m or 14m Slingshot Rally for 200 lbs riders ??

Postby AdroVempo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:23 am

Hello All,
Need some help with Kite Size for first kite.
Weight: 200 lbs.
Average wind speeds i will be riding : mostly between 14-21mph.
Skill level: Pure beginner with quite a few lessons on water and snow.

I am looking to get a Slingshot Rally for what will be my first kite ever. I would like to buy the one that I will be able to use most, not ready to spend on a quiver yet.

So for my weight, and given the not-always-high winds of MN, I had been thinking that a 14m kite is what I would need (as my go-to kite). Coz i felt that during lessons, I struggled with generating enough power with 10m and 12m. Though it could also be my lack of skill.

Even the sales guys I chat online with (popular web kite shops online or on YouTube), insist that I need a 14m. But my instructor feels 12m should do.

Please advise which size...based on weight and also the fact that I will most probably be a weekend warrior, meaning most of the times, I will have to settle for not-enough wind.

Only 2 concerns with going ahead with the Slingshot Rally 14m is:
1. Whether I will be over-powered most of the time.
2. Whether 14m is too clumsy a kite to handle, in general. (Lot of people say: make 12m a regular go-to and rather than a 14m, go for light-wind specific even larger kite...like an Ozone Zephyr 17m).

Thanks.

BiteMe
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: 12m or 14m Slingshot Rally for 200 lbs riders ??

Postby BiteMe » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:28 am

It depends on local conditions, board, and if the wind tends to the lower or higher end of your range. If it's mostly 18-21mph go with the 12m. If it's mostly 14-18mph go with the 14m. If it's somewhat even I'd go with the 14m. These kites have a huge range and given your weight you should have no problem with the 14 in those winds. I weigh 20lbs less than you and can fly my 14m Rally up to 20. I'd rather be on my 12, but I can hold the 14.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:57 am

I would say you would do better with the 14 for your early days.
More power is helpful when your technique isn't so good at the beginning.

Get a 12 when you're better and start to feel over powered more often than not on the 14, that'll be when your technique will have improved - several months
The 14 will still be useful, esp for those marginal days.

As Biteme says, the kiteboard will also play a big part in your progress and what kite you need.

IMHO get the 14 for now, followed by a 10, then an 8 :)

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:50 am

SonnyRider wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:57 am
IMHO get the 14 for now, followed by a 10, then an 8 :)
yep, this. 14/10/8 is your quiver

AdroVempo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Minnesota: Lake Waconia, Medicine Lake, White Bear Lake.
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, Jamaica, Visakhapatnam (Vizag)
Style: Freeride
Gear: None

Postby AdroVempo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:35 pm

BiteMe, Dylan and SonnyRider - thanks for your input.

Seems like 14m would be best for me at this stage. And yes, the Rallys seem to have very good range (from the once or twice I have flown them, and also from what people say). So I think I will be ok with not being over-powered.

1 follow-up question though: Given that I am going for the 14m, should I still get a huuuge board..like the really monster ones? or a reasonably large board will do? Sorry for not giving exact numbers, but...

Monster Boards - i meant the very large door-shaped (almost rectangle-shaped) ones.
Reasonably Large Boards - those that I think are specific for Light-Wind usually, example: Liquid Force OverDrive, CrazyFly Raptor, Slingshot Misfit, etc.

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:11 pm

I would go off of what you learned on. If you enjoyed the size of the board you were taught in go with that. If not I would try a light wind board out before purchasing. I tried one and didn’t care for it because there was to much performance sacrifice because of the size. I’m also 40lbs lighter than you though. I personally would go with a 142 free ride board if I were your size and still learning.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:39 pm

On a 14 you should be fine on a regular big board (140x42 or slightly bigger - or at least I prefer slightly wider than 40). No need for a pure lightwind board in my opinion. As you mentioned something like a Misfit should do.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:08 pm

I agree, a Rally 14m on a 42 wide board would be about right. And width is generally more important than length.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:01 pm

I am 10lbs heavier than you and I did the 10/14 for a couple years ago year and I was always never quite on the right kite....so I now have core xr5 12,10 and 8 shared with my wife. That 12 will get me rolling great in 14mph on my 135x41 jumping and ripping upwind etc. If its a little lighter I just change to a small doorish board and never miss a beat. When wind comes up grab the regular board off the beach and forget rigging down. Also a 12 is a lot livelier than a 14 and the range of kites like the Rally and xr5 are amazing. Just my opinion after 18 years kiting

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:17 am

For your board size, width is better than length.
I ride Shinn boards when I'm TT
Use this as a good guide for their boards - https://www.shinnworld.com/whatssizedoineed

If you go for a big board, you'll find some days it's too much. But, a big board will be good for when you are better and you can use it as a light wind board.

When I was 238lbs, I lived on a King George (146x46) for my first year, flying a Zephyr. even when people were out on 8m kites :lol: But bashing out through waves was hard work on the legs/knees

Now I'm 206lbs I ride a Bronq 137x44 (I did demo a 135x42, but found it lacked a little on the bottom end for me, the newer Bronqs have a better low end now, so a 135x42 might well be a better fit)

Boards are a much more personal experience, demo, demo, demo. Trust me, I spent a lot of money on the wrong sized boards because I listened to 150lb kids working in the shops.

Return to “Kitesurfing”