Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: kitepoint
Style: intermediate
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

proper etiquette

Postby rmaxwell » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:16 pm

Twice recently I have been approached by other kiters on the beach that wanted to try one of my kites. One was a sponsored kiter who was doing a photo shoot. He didn't have a kite available in the size that I had in my quiver. The other was an inexperienced kiter.

In both cases, I said no, but I felt guilty about it. Actually the expert kiter borrowed another kite from someone else and proceeded to crash it on the rocks doing a trick.

What is the proper etiquette in this regard? I have lent my kites to people that I know and trust, but I am reluctant to lend a kite to someone I don't know personally.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: proper etiquette

Postby sarc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:20 pm

YOU CAN PRY MY KITE FROM MY COLD DEAD FING....... oooops sorry, wrong forum...

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:33 pm

rmaxwell wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:16 pm
....Actually the expert kiter borrowed another kite from someone else and proceeded to crash it on the rocks doing a trick....
This is the precise reason why your decision was correct. It's not as much a question of etiquette as good judgment. I won't let anyone I don't know borrow my kite any more than I'd let a stranger borrow my car. Next time someone asks, I'll say, "This expert kiter who borrowed a kite for a photo shoot crashed it on the rocks doing a trick. So, no." :thumb:

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:35 pm

What you should do is buy a "loaner quiver" just for this purpose. Well..... then again.......

Don't feel bad about not lending a tubie to anyone. Especially it its a tubie you have only one of. Repairs take time on tubies and you could miss out on a few days of kiting if something went wrong. Then you have to think about the liability - what if the person you lent the kite to crashed it on some one or raked the lines across a kid on the beach.

If a beginner ever wants to try your kite, that is why you always keep a trainer on hand. Preferably a small trainer of less than 3m.

And as far as the pro goes, I would offer to let him use your trainer in that situation too. But I am not being a smart a-- with this statement. Until I know someone's skill level, and more important - how conscientious they are, that person will not get anything other than my trainer under my direct supervision.

That said, I do have a quiver of loaner snowkite foils - 2 trainers, 3m depower, 6m., 10m,12.5m, 14m, 18m. Still, you fly the trainer first before you even move to the 3m depower.
Last edited by Matteo V on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom

Postby LiquidXtasy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:45 pm

Yeah you definitely made the right decision, you don't have to say "yes" to everyone. It's not your job to wipe their butt.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Next time, ask them to sign a waiver and leave a damage deposit. They won’t want it after that!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:20 pm

It’s your kite! So say whatever you want!

My kites no one gets!

It’s gold for me!!

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Yeah bollocks to that. There is no etiquette for lending out your hard earned gear. Don't feel guilty.

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:46 pm

What's the etiquette when you're at a crowded beach, it's a light wind day, and the launch area is littered with pumped up LEIs that wouldn't fly anyway with the current wind, and you just want enough space to launch your 18 to 21m foil for a light wind session?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:55 pm

Between friends who don't crash kites or lose boards and in reasonable conditions to try new gear then absolutely I'll let somebody try a kite or board or borrow gear if they left something at home.

Beginners in big winds, very light winds or challenging waves or currents I'll usually suggest to wait for better conditions.

What goes around comes around. And for those of you who have let me try a kite or board - thank you!

Return to “Kitesurfing”