Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Sleeving lines

Postby rtz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:05 am

How does the factory get the sleeving on the ends of the lines?

Do they just buy some sort of line and remove the inner core or do they get it with no core?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sleeving lines

Postby Matteo V » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 am

Can't help with the question of where they get it, but you can get some line if you want to do this yourself.

Marlow "Excell Pro" and New England ropes both make some small cored line you can take the core out of. I used to do this for sleeving on my Q-Powerline line sets I used to make. You can get these 2 brands at most sailing/marine stores.

But now, with Jerry Brown linesets I make, I just use Bass Pro Shops Offshore Angler "Magibraid" hollow core Dacron line in 200lb test. You need to seal the end so sand does not get under it and work it's way down to the larks head loop. If it does, it will fail prematurely there from that sand infiltration.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/offshor ... lling-line

Another hint is to wet the line Q-Powerline before you machine sew it. This will help the thread to slide past and not overheat (thus cutting) the tightly bound internal Q-Powerline strands. For braids like Jerry Brown or regular kiteline you splice, I recommend hand sewing it to lock the splice in place - thus you do not need to worry about wetting it. And definitely go with a splice if the line braid will allow it. Splicing is way better, though much more of a hassle than sleeving and sewing.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 am

They get it on spools without core, I have some 50m spools on stock in 3, 3.5 and 4mm both red and green and 3mm also in blue and black but per meter.

Matteo, with sufficient practice and the right tools / line types stitched splices can be made faster than a stitched sleeve.

Evan - Infexion

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foam-n-fibre » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 am

Look up kite making supplies online and you can buy hollow sleeving line.

Peter

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:10 pm

rtz wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:05 am
How does the factory get the sleeving on the ends of the lines?

Do they just buy some sort of line and remove the inner core or do they get it with no core?
Yup. that's the cheapest way for us at least and I think also for the people at the factory, just because it's so much cheaper to buy normal line in bulk.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:08 pm

https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... it&cat=159

Includes everything you need, except a sewing machine.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:16 pm

rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:08 pm
https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... it&cat=159

Includes everything you need, except a sewing machine.
Exactly. go to that link and spend $8 for just the sleeves and get about 2-3 feet of cord. For $8 you can buy about 100 feet of cored line with the core in, and all you have to do is go through the bother of taking the core out. I can't remember what I bought last time I got a roll of this, probably 325 tactical paracord.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:24 pm

evan wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 am
Matteo, with sufficient practice and the right tools / line types stitched splices can be made faster than a stitched sleeve.
I guess I would agree. And I am prepared to take some flak for this, but I spend about 2 hours making a front line set - from making the sleeving and inserting the line, to end splice, to stretching, to truing up for the opposite side splice, to making the opposite side splice, to whiping the sleeving end, then install on the bar.

Stretching setup, actually stretching, and take down takes the most time in this operation as I do multiple stretches on each line in an even sequence.

Return to “Kitesurfing”