Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster, firewire evo or suggestions

Forum for kitesurfers
Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster, firewire evo or suggestions

Postby Slappysan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:13 pm

Interesting, that's a whole new shape.

icedub
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Vermont
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switch Element v4: 5m, 7m
Switch Element v6: 9m, 12m
Boards: Axis Division TT and Homemade Shinnster "The Spinster"
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster or suggestions

Postby icedub » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 pm
While I haven't actually tried the Performer 5-6, I ride the Performer 4-10 pretty much all the time. I'm only 75 kg though. Another option would be the Odysea Stump 5-0 or RNF 5-5 but the Catch! Surf boards use triple stringers and are a bit heavier than the Wave Bandit ones. A big plus to the Stump 5-0, Skipper 5-6, and RNF 5-5 is that you can prone surf them too, the Performer 4-10 is only proneable for smaller people or super elite surfers like Ben Gravy.

What I love about my Performer 4-10 is that it only weighs 6 lbs and surfs like a champ. Strapless airs in 12 knots. All that for $150.
Glad I found this thread. I've been kiting for 4 years, just tried strapless this summer on a Shinnster copy that I built and am loving it! I'm also light weight (about 60kg), so the Performer 4'10" seems like a no brainer. Question: Do you ride it with the twin fin setup or have you somehow made it into a thruster?

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster, firewire evo or suggestions

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:23 pm

Evo or Nugget
Nugget edges out the Evo just a bit for really low wind riding, but the Evo will progress with you better if you do go into any sort of wave (even small stuff) or strapless tricks.

AND/OR

Just buy a cheap (sub $125) shortboard off of craiglist (or the equivelent) and ride it into the ground, then get something nice.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster or suggestions

Postby Slappysan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:56 am

icedub wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:59 pm
Glad I found this thread. I've been kiting for 4 years, just tried strapless this summer on a Shinnster copy that I built and am loving it! I'm also light weight (about 60kg), so the Performer 4'10" seems like a no brainer. Question: Do you ride it with the twin fin setup or have you somehow made it into a thruster?
It rides perfectly as a twin, no need to mess around.

https://youtu.be/gkzE7cjqScg

icedub
Rare Poster

Postby icedub » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:53 am

Slappysan wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:56 am
icedub wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:59 pm
It rides perfectly as a twin, no need to mess around.

https://youtu.be/gkzE7cjqScg
Cool. I'm wanting to branch out past the shinnster because I realize that it edges like a TT, and I want to get more of that surf board feel.. grippy carving, relying on the fins more than the edge. Local spot is a lake (small waves, lotsa chop). Do you think it the WB checks all those boxes?

r33f
Rare Poster
Gear: 4th Surfboards 5'8" (custom)
Airush Compact 5'7"
Wainman 9m
RRD 7m (died)
Gaastra Jeckyl 12m (sold)

Postby r33f » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:33 pm

Nobody's mentioned Naish Custom LE - a reinforced PU surfboard. Don't they make them anymore?

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Slappysan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:12 pm

icedub wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:53 am
Cool. I'm wanting to branch out past the shinnster because I realize that it edges like a TT, and I want to get more of that surf board feel.. grippy carving, relying on the fins more than the edge. Local spot is a lake (small waves, lotsa chop). Do you think it the WB checks all those boxes?
The Wave Bandit is fantastic in any conditions and would be hella fun on your choppy lake for sure.

If $$$ isn't an issue though you might want to get an OR Jester (or Duke if you are heavier) as they are terrific lake boards and with 5 fin boxes you have loads of options for fins. I will warn you though that I sold my OR Jester after discovering the joys of the Wave Bandit.

icedub
Rare Poster

Postby icedub » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:53 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:12 pm
If $$$ isn't an issue though you might want to get an OR Jester (or Duke if you are heavier) as they are terrific lake boards and with 5 fin boxes you have loads of options for fins. I will warn you though that I sold my OR Jester after discovering the joys of the Wave Bandit.
I wouldn't say I'm cheap, but $1,000 vs $149... I know I am loving strapless but I don't know quite what I want *enough* to justify that kind of coin. Wave Bandit it is.. except that now all of the colors are out of stock on Amazon :cry:.

Have you ridden the Stump 5'0"? It's a bit more pricey but comes as a thruster and in more color options. Also, saw somewhere else that you found the Storm Blade to be an alternative. Are they truly the same board?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:38 pm

plus one for the wave bandit!!

or storm blade 58 on amazon, essentially same board, have yet the break mine and do stupid stuff all the time on it

haven't used my real surfboard in a while, strapless airs are really easy and the soft board is very forgiving on hard landings

icedub
Rare Poster

Postby icedub » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:59 am

jespin4845 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:38 pm
plus one for the wave bandit!!

or storm blade 58 on amazon, essentially same board, have yet the break mine and do stupid stuff all the time on it

haven't used my real surfboard in a while, strapless airs are really easy and the soft board is very forgiving on hard landings
Nice! My last concern about the WB is the upwind capability with just two little fins. How does it compare to your regular surf board in that regard?

Return to “Kitesurfing”