Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster, firewire evo or suggestions

Forum for kitesurfers
Rob_85
Rare Poster
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster, firewire evo or suggestions

Postby Rob_85 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:12 am

Looking at getting into strapless riding this summer and am interested in the two boards above. Both look versatile, good ligh wind performance, upwind, but can be used in small surf when I get better. Mini monster comes as a convertible, so would be useful if/when I want to try foiling.

I live on south coast of UK, so surf never really that great. Looking for a good beginner board, hopefully adding to my light wind range when too light for my TT.

Views of the boards would be great, the mini monster is new so hoping to find someone who may have ridden it! Any suggestions also welcome, there’s so (too) much choice, so some pointers are needed!

FYI I’m 5’10 and 85-90kg.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Rob
Last edited by Rob_85 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: Begginer strapless surf board

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:15 am

When learning to ride strapless, board width is your best friend! The Mini Monster 5'2 is nice at 19" wide. If you're wanting a convertible design for foiling, also check out the Axis Maroro 5'1 Convert, the F-One Mitu 5'6 Convert, Slingshot's Converter 5'4, and Takuma's BX 5'4.
Btw, I (we?) can't see your list of boards. Obviously one was the Airush. :thumb:

Rob_85
Rare Poster

Re: Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster or suggestions

Postby Rob_85 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:22 am

Just edited the title, left the boards off!

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll check them out.

I was thinking about the 5’6 Mini Minster to maximise size and volume, thought this would also help the light wind ability.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster or suggestions

Postby sarc » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:58 am

I think a very wide board like the Nugget will make it much harder to waterstart and carve.
After 3 sessions when you can stand on the board, width won't really matter.
I say buy a $100 used surfboard and ride it til it breaks (maybe a season, maybe less). By then you will now what kind of board you want. Cheers!

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm

sarc wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:58 am
I say buy a $100 used surfboard and ride it til it breaks (maybe a season, maybe less). By then you will now what kind of board you want. Cheers!
This is decent advice if you scout for the right used surfboard. Go for something with low rocker that's designed for small mushy surf. A groveler in surf terms.

Some of the epoxy boards out there can take years of abuse with a kite. Lighter glass jobs on polyester boards.... not so much.

Rob_85
Rare Poster

Postby Rob_85 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks guys. Buying used to get some experience sounds like a sensible idea. As much as I’d like to get a nice new board, for the £800 a mini monster would cost, I can learn, and probably wreak 2 or three boards and still have most of the change left to buy a new one then!

That mini monster does look sweet though!

Rob_85
Rare Poster

Postby Rob_85 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Ok, had a look on eBay and finding the right used board is going to be tricky. Need an epoxy board with flat rocker - people don’t put that stuff in the description.

Anyone got an old board they’re wanting to sell?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Ebay and ikitesurf are a goldmine for those that have a good understanding of what they are after. If your feeling a little less confident on that front, phone up one of the bigger shops like real that deal in both kite and surfboards and have a large used inventory. The people there can help guide you to an appropriate board for only a modest mark up. Just let em know that your looking for a cheap entrance into strapless. You want a used groveller that is going to hold up relatively well for under $XXX.

Better yet, take a spring trip down to OBX and talk to a few shops face to face. Saves shipping and you get a better idea of what your looking at.

Rob_85
Rare Poster

Postby Rob_85 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Cheers for the advice. I’m in the UK, but get the premise - I’ll have a call around and see what I can find.

Rob

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:40 pm

If you have choppy water consider an Ocean Rodeo Duke. Great board, excellent in chop and smaller waves and goes up wind very well. Also the full deck pad is great for strapless riding..

Return to “Kitesurfing”