Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster, firewire evo or suggestions

Forum for kitesurfers
Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster or suggestions

Postby Slappysan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:29 am

Rob_85 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:11 pm
They are good suggestions, but in the UK the Odysea boards are nearly £300 (over $400)! Can’t seem to find the wave bandit.

Ignoring price, do you think they’re better to start on than mini monster, nugget, ....other surf boards others have suggested.... etc.?
There must be a euro brand softtop that is available at a decent price point there and is well made. They are all made in China either way so I don't see why they need to be so expensive.

I don't think you can ignore price. Do you know where my first strapless surfboard is? Neither do I because I lost it when the wind died and I had to swim in.

The great thing about these boards is they will take abuse or even get lost and you wont be too upset. Overpowered coming in to the beach and you want to focus on landing your kite without worrying about your board, no problem, let it wash up on the shore it'll be fine. Try that with your $800 epoxy board ...

Hit the board with your harness hook on a fall? Epoxy board your session is done, Shinnster or softtop you don't even notice.

Another huge plus is that they can hit you in the face and you laugh it off, as opposed to heading in to get stitches.

I haven't tried either of those boards listed, but I think they are both more suited to flat water than waves. If it were down to just those two I'd get the Nugget if I knew I wanted a LW specific SB in my quiver and the mini monster otherwise. Now the only reason I'd want a LW specific SB is for cases where you have nice ground swell + 12-14 knots of wind. I wouldn't buy the Nugget for LW flat water.

Other boards I can offer advice on:
LF Kite Fish 5-3: my first board, I lost it and don't miss it. this thing is crap
Slingshot SP 5-0: LW specific surfboard much like Nugget, too wide most of the time (still works well for tadem wake surfing with the kids though)
Shinnster 5-3: super fun and super smooth, makes everything you do look good. no good in the air
Cab Secret Weapon 5-2: good in the air and on the wave but annoying the rest of the time, doesn't ride backwards for shit
Slinshot Verve 6-0: total tank, yuk
OR Duke 5-4: good lake board, not good for actual on wave surfing
OR Jester 5-2: great lake board, great for strapless airs, again no good on wave
Exile DC Skim 4-3 finless: kick ass LW skimboard that stays fun and challenging in 8 knots
WB Performer 4-10: the dream board, since I got it I barely ride my $800 expoxy boards anymore
Odysea Stump 5-0: decent but too heavy and wide compared to the Performer 4-10

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Re: Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster or suggestions

Postby mr_daruman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:06 am

Best beginner surf board? Not a beginner surf board. Just get a slightly WIDER pro shape and save that money for a one board quiver : FIREWIRE EVO (or anything similar?)
I ride a 4'10 at 65kg. Plenty of float. Works in all conditions.
These TOMO boards the smaller sizes feel big so you can ride a 5'2 or 5'4, planes/floats like a 6' but turns/speeds like a 5'2.
Kite FST or the ligther and stronger Helium construction.

I dont recommend the SHINNSTER as a beginner board unless it is in very light winds. Edges more like a twintip. Very very loose. BTW Awesome board in shallow water and small breaking reef waves.

Rob_85
Rare Poster
Gear: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rob_85 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:26 am

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:14 am

mr_daruman wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:06 am

I dont recommend the SHINNSTER as a beginner board unless it is in very light winds. Edges more like a twintip. Very very loose. BTW Awesome board in shallow water and small breaking reef waves.
Agree with above ^^ think of the Shinnster more as a light wind skim board, awesome board for the right conditions but not an allround board, particularly in waves (unless your a decent rider already). :wink:
The softop will maybe work well to start with but I'm pretty damn sure you'd out grow it in no time at all, the boards flex way too much and the thick rails make them hard to carve the board on it's rail.
The Mini Monster is so new to the market there will be very few people who have even seen one let alone try it.

The other problem with open questions like this is for every 12 people you ask you are likely to get 12 different recommendations and you'll end up with a fried brain! :jump:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:43 am

I'm an 82kg grandfather in the UK south coast (eastern Solent) and learning strapless SB on (2017) 5'8" F-one Mitu board. Just love the rocker line, so comfortable and carves a beautiful turn. Also recently changed my kites to Ozone Enduro V2's because the Rallys I had before keep pulling while turning and could pull me off the board (but that might be down to a learners shit technique). The Enduros depower far better and are a joy to use on both TT and SB.
Last edited by iriejohn on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip

Postby Seabizzle » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:31 am

I have not ridden the latest versions of either of these boards but I have ridden their predecessors- the older less boxy nugget and the airush cypher which was a very similar shape to the Mini monster.

Both of these boards will make a great choice for your intended use. The Mini monster will be a bit more control and a bit better all round performance, the nugget will be a bit better low end.

At 85kg definitely go for the medium size of each board not the largest. Don't let the length fool you, the width, surface area and volume of these boards means there is a lot of board there. I am 105kgs and have a 2015 5'5" nugget ( the largest size) this is plenty of board for me i wouldn't want it any bigger.

These are a great type of board to be learning strapless on as the width and volume make learning the footwork a lot easier. I also love these styles of board because they maximize fun in average conditions and greatly extend the wind range of your kite, I would often go down to the beach with just my 10m, twin tip and nugget and be set from 15 to 30 knots

If I was to choose between the 2 right now I would go for the Mini monster because of the big surface area at the nose for planing and up wind and the pulled in tail for shredding

Rob_85
Rare Poster
Gear: None

Postby Rob_85 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks all.

I think ultimately the mini monster is the way forward. Looks like is will perform well in small medium surf as my skills improve, but will be good to learn on also. With the option of adding a foil at a later stage, can cover lightwind, flat water, chop, small - medium surf, one board to cover most riding, although it sure I’ll find a reason to add more!

Having said the above, I think I’ll still get a cheap soft top board to start and learn on, just incase, as silly mistakes are easier to make when learning. After I can always use a fun board or teach my son to surf as he gets a little bigger.

RosItalia
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Toscana (Italia)
Gear: Peterlynn Swell 12 9 7
Bws aenema 5,5
Gong strutless 17m

Re: Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster, firewire evo or suggestions

Postby RosItalia » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Hi, I use Arriba Arriba Funwave that is a custom board from Italy. It's very good in lowind and has powerfully upwind. For me it's the best solution, is adaptable hydrofoil too.

http://www.arribarriba.it/index.php?opt ... temid=1228

IainMacaskill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Hillhead, Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Reef, Uig, Isle of Lewis
Style: Hoon
Gear: Airush, Core, Storm, Gong Kite, Zeeko & Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Highland Park

Re: Begginer strapless surf board - North nugget, airush mini monster, firewire evo or suggestions

Postby IainMacaskill » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:15 am

IMG-20180328-WA0005.jpeg
New Shinnster
This ad has just popped up in Kite Mag....

winduser
Medium Poster
Gear: 2014

Postby winduser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:34 am

+1 for the Shinnster

Return to “Kitesurfing”