Liquid force response control bar 2015
Manera harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A kite without an experience

Postby keyhaha » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi guys. :naughty:

I'm someone from the southern part of the philippines. I'm a slightly advance wakeboarder but after the park that i've been riding was close due to renovation purposes I tried wakeboarding behind a jetski w/c does not work for me at all.

I just found out about kiteboarding a year ago and I don't know what got me in my mind but. I bought a kite, control bar and a harness sitting in the corner of my room. I really want to have a lesson but there's no school anywhere near me. So should I try flying it on my own in a lighter wind? I read alot about wakeboarding so I know the about wind window and basic stuff, etc.

Should I try flying it anyway? I just want to get a feel of flying the kite before buying a board for kiting cause I know wakeboards does not work.

Sorry for the slightly long post.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom

Re: A kite without an experience

Postby LiquidXtasy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Yes it sounds like you are going to try it on your own anyway. So go out in light wind to learn, avoid offshore wind, and always watch out for objects downwind of you. First thing you want to get to know is your safety system, practice releasing the kite and setting it back.

Once you know how to safely release the kite, then start practicing your flying. Watch as many youtube videos as you can, and try to meet up with kiters in your area if you can.

Good luck

keyhaha
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: White chocolate hills zamboanguita
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best kahoona v7
Manera harness

Postby keyhaha » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Thanks for replying but whats the average wind do I need for my kite to fly. I have a kahoona v7 10.5 btw. And unfortunately i'm the only guy here in my city who owns a kite.

Rob_85
Rare Poster
Gear: None

Postby Rob_85 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:07 pm

Have you got a trainer kite? Would be useful to practice on that a bit first to get used to flying a kite and that will teach you more about the wind window.

Have you got anyone to help you launch and land?

keyhaha
Rare Poster
Manera harness

Postby keyhaha » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:27 pm

I was looking for 2nd hand trainer kites online here in my country but nothing pops out. The only kite I see in the my local online shop is a power kite. It's like a trainer kite but without the handle bar. And yes I have someone to assist me in launching in landing.

I know this may sound funny but the wind window was confusing to me and how the kite fly until I downloaded this game called kiteboard hero where I get to a general idea on how the kite really works.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 pm

keyhaha wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:27 pm
And yes I have someone to assist me in launching in landing.
Only a skilled kiter should use an un-skilled launch/landing person. And only as a last resort. Both you and your launcher have no experience performing launch and landing techniques - thus you are both in danger if one of you does the wrong thing on the launching and landing part of kiteboarding.

Be extremely careful if you move forward with this without lessons. You definitely need to get a trainer kite and both you and your launcher need to fly it and learn the wind-window before moving on to a full sized kite. I suggest a small trainer no bigger than 2.5m with a bar.

keyhaha
Rare Poster
Manera harness

Postby keyhaha » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:01 pm

I'll put that in mind. Thank you guys so much for your awesome advices and warnings. :bye:

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:09 pm

I wonder why there are no other kiters around? Kiters accumulate in areas that have passable conditions for wind and water. There definitely should be kiters around if conditions are good. Just a food for thought.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom

Postby LiquidXtasy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:25 pm

keyhaha wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:54 pm
I have a kahoona v7 10.5 btw. And unfortunately i'm the only guy here in my city who owns a kite.
That is a smaller kite that needs a good amount of wind to pull you properly.

I suggest learning with that in winds from 13-16mph. Any wind speed above 18 mph can be intimidating for a begginer and more dangerous since the kite will pull harder and turn quicker.

Just start out flying the kite in shallow water, and when you get bored of flying the kite grab your board and try water starting. You want onshore winds. If you go out in offshore winds it will be very risky since there is a big possibility you could lose your kite, and even your life. Make sure there is plenty of shallow water around you in case you get dragged. Practice releasing the kite, practice relaunching from the water, and practice flying the kite. No one is going to be there to save you if something happens, so always have a plan if something goes wrong.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:31 pm

the Only advice he should get is: don’t do it without experienced help or lessons. You could seriously injure yourself or some else

Return to “Kitesurfing”